Newbie requires some straight talking...

Hmmmm in time. I bought a two sided strop from Pete: leather for normal stropping and canvas to bring to life a dulling blade before you need to re-hone it.
There are Different Ways in Which Folks Use a Double Sided Strop..Many Ways..I Personally Do 20 Sets on Canvas after a Shave & 10 Sets on Leather..I Do 50/60 Sets on Leather before a Shave..There are Many Combos that Folks Use that Works for them..That's the Routine I use that Works for Me..o_O

That's Probably Enough to Take on Board Whilst Learning to Shave & Strop..When You Feel a Bit More Adventurous Pastes can Maintain a Sharp Shave Ready Edge for a Very Long Time before Touching a Finishing Hone..Again these are All Personal..I Do 10 Sets on Chro/Ox Paste + 10 Sets on Red Rhodium Paste on a Paddle Strop on My Blades Every 4/5 Shaves..This Keeps My SRs Very Sharp for Months & Maintains them Well..:)

A Finishing Hone will Maintain You're Edges for Even Longer...A Naniwa 12 K Super Stone or 1 Micron Lapping Film are Great Finishing Hones..The Film Being the Cheaper Option & Lighter Grit & Can Offer a Finer Edge in My Humble Opinion if Used Properly..:rolleyes:

Lynn Abrams Demonstrates Many Tools, Methods & Options for Maintaining & Refreshing SRs...Notice that He Doesn't Say One Method is Better than the Other..This Video is Aimed at the Relative Beginner & is the Best Guidance I Have Seen..The Only thing that he Does Labour is the Importance of Respecting Pastes..He is Spot on Here..Listen Carefully about what he Says about Pastes..I Reckon a Lot of Folks Overdo them..Cant Go Wrong with Lynn's Guidance here in this Video..:D

Billy

Last edited:
As I am lazy 10 laps on hanging leather strop after each shave will have to do and with 7 SRs and a routine of switching daily this keeps me going for quite some time before refreshing (on lapping film placed on a piece of glass from Ikea)

Last edited:
@Fergiebilly It's so refreshing to watch videos like that, Lynn explains it in such a clear concise manner.
The over use of pastes is such a common mistake.
It's also worth taking note what he says regarding the 8k hone. IMO it's the first hone anyone should buy, much cheaper than the 12k and as Lynn says you can obtain a damn fine shave from it. It will fit in a progression when the time comes. For edge refreshing, it will teach you how gentle, blade weight only strokes will deliver the results ;)

Nice one.

@Jack Sales yea I hear you. I am getting good shaves on my cheeks but upper lip and chin are more challenging. I am not cutting myself to shreds but after my second shave the skin was very hot and red though the alum block helped.I am finding it hard to see what I am doing sometimes and probably still putting too much pressure through nerves.

I will probably blunt the thing after a few shaves and probably will have to learn honing at some point as a good professional honer charges £20-25. I have oiled the blade the Osgar and will store it until I get better as it is too nice to ruin. I may buy a cheaper but well honed razor at some point to practice on:whipped dog maybe.

@Jack Sales yea I hear you. I am getting good shaves on my cheeks but upper lip and chin are more challenging. I am not cutting myself to shreds but after my second shave the skin was very hot and red though the alum block helped.I am finding it hard to see what I am doing sometimes and probably still putting too much pressure through nerves.

I will probably blunt the thing after a few shaves and probably will have to learn honing at some point as a good professional honer charges £20-25. I have oiled the blade the Osgar and will store it until I get better as it is too nice to ruin. I may buy a cheaper but well honed razor at some point to practice on:whipped dog maybe.
You are persevering & that's what matters so stay with it.The shaves will improve over the days.What is your stropping routine? Before & after the shave.Canvas or leather,how many full runs? The redness might be an indicator that the razor needs to be stropped.look at that routine before you give in with the razor.

Last edited:
I believe problems with SR can often be attributed to "Are we there Yet? Are we there Yet? Are we there Yet!" syndrome :)
Relax enjoy the journey!

Last edited:
@Jack Sales I have one of Pete's two sided paddle strops. He recommended 12-20 on leather after the shave. Maybe I should give it more on both canvas and leather? What do you think?
I would personally give it 50 on the leather *before* the shave & See how that goes.If it works then finish with 30 on the leather *after* the shave.You might not need to go to the canvas yet.Probably just needs a good run on the leather.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom