New Nanny's hard shaving soap

:icon_lol: Cheese Dave doesn't love any of us any more. You only have to look at his avatar to see he's gone all old and grumpy (so have I, which is why I don't post a current picture).

soapalchemist said:
I had an email from a client in Europe today who received his order in 2 days!!! That's definitely a record.

Meeeeee! Just received today a package that a fellow Portuguese sent me on Tuesday, so it took longer to receive mail from Portugal than from the UK! Fantastic!

I've used your soap (Cedarwood&Vetiver) yesterday and today, and it's fantastic, easy to load and easier to lather, great post shave hydration, leaves my skin feeling like a million pounds! However... not really keen on the scent mix, when the soap is dry it smells mainly of cedarwood with a touch of vetiver, wonderful aroma, but when it touches water it transforms into a very wet charcoal smell that I don't find very pleasing!

Now this sandalwood soap... tells us more...

That's very interesting rntd. I hadn't thought of the scent changing when used, and in test lathers, I personally hadn't noticed it. But the sensitivity of people's sense of smell, and their different tastes, never ceases to amaze me.
I had posted recently on another thread, that I was going to sell the offcuts from the end of my logs of the hard soap. But I was thinking today, it might be more useful to make available little spoldges in bags, so that people can check the scent before buying if they wish. And in light of what you've said, get it wet, to see if they still like it.

soapalchemist said:
the sensitivity of people's sense of smell, and their different tastes, never ceases to amaze me.

Very true. It's such a personal thing. For just one example, some people like Taylor's sandalwood cream, but to my nose it has a foul cloying scent that smells nothing like sandalwood to me.

I received some of the 'end of the log' samples today (thanks again Sharon :icon_biggrin:), and have just done a test lather with the Cedarwood & Vetyver. I didn't notice a change in the scent when wet. Which makes me pleased because it's a freekin' gorgeous woody aroma. Oh yes indeedy.

I'm relieved to hear that Francorelli. What did you think of the Sandalwood smell? So traumatised was I by the charcoal smell that I forgot to address rntcarvalho's query about the Sandalwood. I adore it, and two customers have said that their wives were very very keen on it.:icon_redface: I think from the other 'sandalwood' products I have smelt, they aren't using much if any real santalum album. Maybe they're using the cheaper substitues or mixes of them, and more likely synthetic fragrance oils with no essential oils. So people buying my real sandalwood may never have smelt the smell before. Some are not keen, but I absolutely love it, and also find that the smell lasts very well on the skin. So if you want your skin to smell of sandalwood, you just use the soap and don't slather on highly scented balms etc. afterwards. The smell won't fill a lift (trust me, that's a plus), but anyone up close will smell it.
But as ever, no one scent will ever please anyone. But I do think this scent is particularly pleasing to women - on men. I can speak only from comments I have received. I have not had similar comments on any other scent. I will list the 'smelly bits' very soon, as when the sandalwood is ready it will be pricy. And generally speaking, for all the soaps it's a good idea.

soapalchemist said:
I'm relieved to hear that Francorelli. What did you think of the Sandalwood smell?

I like it! A very subtle, natural sandalwood scent that is worlds apart from many of the more synthetic ones out there. I haven't had a shave with it yet, so look forward to checking out how it lingers on the skin.

But the real star of the show from those recent samples you sent has to be the Cedarwood & Vetyver, which really is gorgeous. It also received a resounding thumbs-up from Mrs Francorelli, whose eyes lit up when she sniffed it, saying "oooh, it's like smelling a freshly-lathed piece of wood". She may be slightly bemused at some of my shaving-related obsessions, but she certainly appreciates the various scents that accompany them :icon_smile:

Just received my ice and slice hard soap and all I can say, wow it does smell of ice, in a weird way as Ice doesn't smell, but it does smell of wintery things. I got the cedarwood cream and am having trouble getting any scent. Might be because I haven't disturbed it yet, just hovered my nose above, but nothing.

I'm really happy with both of these as it's my first soap purchase. I will be back for more.

I quite like the sound of sandalwood.

soapalchemist said:
That's very interesting rntd. I hadn't thought of the scent changing when used, and in test lathers, I personally hadn't noticed it. But the sensitivity of people's sense of smell, and their different tastes, never ceases to amaze me.
I had posted recently on another thread, that I was going to sell the offcuts from the end of my logs of the hard soap. But I was thinking today, it might be more useful to make available little spoldges in bags, so that people can check the scent before buying if they wish. And in light of what you've said, get it wet, to see if they still like it.

So sorry I traumatized you Sharon, it was really not my intention!
I do like the soap, and will continue to used it with pleasure as it provides a spectacular shave!

Is there any chance of my soap having a "rough patch" of vetiver right at the top and with use it gets straightened out? (yes, it sounds silly...)

And I'll prove there is absolutlely no hard feelings (quite the opposite I might say) with a Sandalwood (I'm drooling over your description) order as soon as it is available! :icon_razz:

Just a note. Used the soft French RT again this AM with my Futur and a 'Racer' blade and it was as nice as the 1st time that I used it. Nice lasting lather and a 'manly' fragrance.

I had some of the first batch of (soft) sandalwood, and it certainly does smell of the real thing. Definitely a long, long way from Taylor's cream which is nice clean smelling stuff in my opinion, but not woody at all.

Jason, let me know if the problem with the Cedarwood and Vetyver cream continues in use.
rntdcarvalho, the sandalwood should be ready in a couple of weeks. I will definitely put 'blobs for sniffing' on the site by the weekend. The scent should be the same throughout the bar; the different essential oils are mixed before being added, so I can't see any way that there would be a concentration of vetyver in one spot.

soapalchemist said:
Jason, let me know if the problem with the Cedarwood and Vetyver cream continues in use.

will do, my nose isn't the sharpest so might be different in use. I will keep you updated. Hasn't put me off being a returning customer

Love the presentation of the cream and soap. They look great in my little corner of the bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom