Merkur Progress "Digress"

Perished said:

Well... It arrived today, my new SS Digress.
Not had chance to shave yet but first impressions, it's a beautiful razor. Looks great, and feels fantastic in hand.
I shall give it a whirl this weekend and report back.

Razor looks fantastic. Look forward to your impressions!

Now that a few of you guys have had one of these fr a short time do you have any feedback for me?
ie too light, too short, too long, too heavy, not shiny enough etc etc?

I am starting to consider a small number of adjustment knobs that will, fingers crossed, resemble the original one, but in brass. It will still be heavier but the dimensions will be more similar, as will the number of flutes. I am also trying to figure out a way of doing the flutes at two different angles, as per the original. Would there be any interest in this? I think it would only be available in brass as it is easy to machine and I think the colour compliments the handle nicely and would most likely be a small run, maybe even limited edition

Error. Your knob is better than the original. Is beautiful. Is classy. Is pentagonal. Is a bit longer. Has a nice radius, nice curves. Nice flutes. Please do not copy the original, do not waste your time. Design and create is always better than copying. Always rewards your soul. Make your choice, take your own road, and go ahead, with firm steps. Is my opinion, of course. I can be wrong.

I agree with Dipesh, the long handled progress would probably be better with a knob of a similar size and length to the plastic original. The short handled Digress looks fine as it is though.

Joe,
I think your 6-7mm longer design on the short handle is far more elegant than the original.

Personally, I think the longer handle is visually too long anyway so a shorter knob might be better.

However, be proud of your design.

Well, here's the thing. Was just finished watching the F1 race, and started to surf through the 'for sale' forum, always a stupid thing to do. Anyway, someone was selling their Merkur Progress, because they'd just got a 'Digress'. Digress? What the hell was that? Well, thanks to Google, I ended up here.

Dam you all - that razor is friggin gorgeous!! I don't need another razor, I really don't. I just bought my 1st slant last week, and it's lovely. But it doesn't have a beautiful brass adjusting knob at the bottom - and I adore polishing metals - just look at my car's stainless steel exhaust...

PICT5395.jpg

Well, Santa has definitely now got a firm favourite on his list for me - thank you all... :icon_rolleyes:

StephenShave said:
Well, here's the thing. Was just finished watching the F1 race, and started to surf through the 'for sale' forum, always a stupid thing to do. Anyway, someone was selling their Merkur Progress, because they'd just got a 'Digress'. Digress? What the hell was that? Well, thanks to Google, I ended up here.

Dam you all - that razor is friggin gorgeous!! I don't need another razor, I really don't. I just bought my 1st slant last week, and it's lovely. But it doesn't have a beautiful brass adjusting knob at the bottom - and I adore polishing metals - just look at my car's stainless steel exhaust...

Well, Santa has definitely now got a firm favourite on his list for me - thank you all... :icon_rolleyes:

http://www.thegentlemansgroomroom.com/Digress-HD-B-Adjustable-Safety-Razor.htm

How's that for a bit of enablement? :angel:

I believe that you can also upgrade your Progress to a Digress by sending to Ian at the Gentleman's Groom Room. I don't have an affiliation with the establishment, except that it is well within visiting distance and I think I single handedly pay Ian's mortgage! :blush:

Scott.

Sm304 said:
StephenShave said:

http://www.thegentlemansgroomroom.com/Digress-HD-B-Adjustable-Safety-Razor.htm

How's that for a bit of enablement? :angel:

I believe that you can also upgrade your Progress to a Digress by sending to Ian at the Gentleman's Groom Room. I don't have an affiliation with the establishment, except that it is well within visiting distance and I think I single handedly pay Ian's mortgage! :blush:

Scott.

That's one helluva coincidence - I just 'bookmarked' that very page 5 minutes ago! I'm really glad that for me, a trip to Dundee would involve an Easyjet flight - if it didn't, I could've seen me driving there very soon...

Back
Top Bottom