Merkur Progress "Digress"

I've been enjoying my digress but while removing the blade the whole adjustment assembly came out the bottom, I tried pushing it back in but didn't want to force it.

Is there a knack to getting this back in? Will the calibration now be misaligned?

harrinp1 said:
I've been enjoying my digress but while removing the blade the whole adjustment assembly came out the bottom, I tried pushing it back in but didn't want to force it.

Is there a knack to getting this back in? Will the calibration now be misaligned?

???? I'd be interested in this solution in case it's something that can happen to any Digress (hopefully not). Hairsute had a lot of input into the design of this cracking razor - he could be worth a pm.

Ratty

Gravy said:
if its the same as a progress inside, just squeeze the clip in and it will slide back together. the clip might not be in the groove.

Thanks, the clip had indeed moved downwards which is why it didn't work when I tried to push it together!

Glad to have the Digress back in action!

The problem you encountered is common in all two piece Merkur (my 38c did it once)

Just open up the spring clip slightly, put it in the groove, then using a pair of pliers squeeze it and push the adjustment assembly back into the handle....

My 38c has only ever done it twice.......

Regards,

Cyril

The micro geometry of the head is very very difficult to replicate accurately. It would not be economically viable to do this in my humble opinion.

My razor has arrived, I like this one a bit more then the Mergress, dare I say more elegant? packaging was excellent, even if they would have dropped it out of a airplane I'm sure it would still have been ok. also very friendly and constant up to date information from the shop owner. Had a great shave :)

Shaved for the third time and I can't complain as it's a gift from my wife but I wish she would have ordered the shorter version. If there is ever anyone who has the short Digress HD version and would like to trade for the Digress HD XL version ......

EDIT: Just got a very helpful pm from Cyril, of course I could get a short progress and put the knob of the Digress on that, bit ashamed that I didn't think about that. Thanks Cyril.

Snuff said:
Shaved for the third time and I can't complain as it's a gift from my wife but I wish she would have ordered the shorter version. If there is ever anyone who has the short Digress HD version and would like to trade for the Digress HD XL version ......

EDIT: Just got a very helpful pm from Cyril, of course I could get a short progress and put the knob of the Digress on that, bit ashamed that I didn't think about that. Thanks Cyril.

Unfortunately Snuff this can't be done. The adjuster from the XL version has to be longer internally. The screw thread from the top plate on both the long and short versions are the same length, therefore the XL version has to be longer to reach further up the handle to catch the threads. The XL version will screw on, but you will have a big gap between the bottom of the handle and the adjuster, and you will loose any adjustment.

I would email Ian at The Groom Room, he might be able to do something for you? I can't guarantee it as I haven't spoken to him about it.

I've owned, and sold, both a Fatboy and Mergress. I just don't like adjustable razors. But, I have to admit, I'm loving the look of this Digress. I'm looking to start shaving my head with a DE, so thinking slant, but having seen this beauty, I'm now not sure whether or not to give this razor a go instead.

To answer some of the previous questions, sometimes the small piece of spring steel that holds the handle can get deformed over time. This can cause the handle to fall out, sometimes I even receive the Merkur 500 in box and the original adjuster knob is actually separate from the handle. It's usually just a case of some careful manipulation with a pair of needle nose/long nose pliers, then squashing the two ends together before inserting back into handle. For the previous poster who had his Digress adjuster fall out, I can only say sorry for that. No other excuse than I must have missed that one, I do check each one before a final clean and putting back in the box now.

Balance: Well all I can say is what most of you will already know. The difference in weights changes the feel and action of the razor, as does the length of the handle. I have personally used both the HD (stainless) and the LD (aluminium) and there is quite a difference as has been mentioned. I prefer the feel of the LD as it seems to put a little more weight on the head whereas the HD kind of pulls the weight away from the head a little. Or at least that's how it feels to me. I am currently working on other materials to get as close to the original weight as I can.

The two Merkur models being used are the 500 (short) and the 510 (long)
Both can be retrofitted if you already have one of these and yes I have already converted some for other customers.

Hope this helps a little? Any more questions or info please just ask.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom