Merkur Progress "Digress"

Just received my Progress 500 into a Digress HD conversion. I already had a Digress HD XL. Very happy costumer here. They appeal more to me then the Mergress. Thumbs up for the fast service and very fast emails from Ian and Joe!

49er said:
Out of curiosity, why?

aesthetically more pleasing to the eye, better feel in the hand. But that's personal, others might not agree on this. The Mergress is cheaper but what with postage and customs for those in Europe it comes out about the same.

Thanks for the kind comments Snuff and Roefisher, I'm really stoked you like them.

p.b, yes they will tarnish with time, the brass probably quicker. Some like the look of brass and aluminium as they age, but for those that don't there is an easy solution, most of which you probably already do.
Clean and dry after use, after every change of blade/4 or 5 shaves unscrew the adjuster knob until you can remove the top plate. Then give the knob a sharp pull :blush:

Give it a good clean with a toothbrush or similar and dry off. Apply a little vaseline to the internal threads of the adjuster or the threads of the top plate. Put the adjuster back in by squeazing the retaining ring together and pushing into handle and then put top plate back in.
Once you start getting some tarnishing on the adjuster knob that you want to remove do as above, but after a quick wash get yourself some metal polish and a soft cloth and go to it with gay abandon until your (adjuster) knob is nice and shiny. Autosol is a very good product for this, I believe there was a recent thread on a similair subject a short time ago, might be worth a search?

Joe

Hi friends. I just discovered this new razor. I knew the Mergress, but missed this one until today. It seems new in the market. Glad to read it is made in Europe! Very Glad to read this.

I should to say WOW! Joe, you have achieved a very nice, very classy knob. Good design! I love it. I recognise beautiful things and this is one, sure.

I have three questions for Joe.

What is the lenght of the regular handle including the knob? If it is around 80-85 mm probably will be my taste.
How many grooves has the knob. Four? Five?
What are the specs of the stainless and the alu? Maybe 316L stainless? Maybe 7075 aircraft alu?

Thanks, and the best for you and your business. Hope my wishes are not necessary. I guess it will have a lot of success. I do not have a Progress, nor a Mergress, but probably I am seeing a Digress in my future.

Hey Doc, thanks for your wishes and kind comments.
The length of the handle on the standard Merkur once converted is around 84mm and weighs in around 110 grams, the aluminium one come in at the same length but wieghs in at around 84/85 grams. The long version in stainless has a handle length of 101mm and a weight of 116 grams whereas the aluminium one is the same length but the the weight goes down to 90 grams. I am currently working on a brass version, the lengths will be the same but the weight will obviously different. On a Merkur 500 the weight will increase to 113 grams over the stainless version of 110 grams. I am also working on ways of getting the weights very close to original spec, but it will take a little experimentation and time.
The Stainless material is 303, I can get a lower carbon content but the 303 gives better machining properties and easier polishing, plus it is also easier for the end user to clean and polish. I don't know about the aluminium, I shall have to check and see. But if the good doctor would like some 316 I have some in my stock ;-)
I work from a small shed and so I have to pick materials that I can cut on a small machine, hence the 303. For anybody else reading this 303 is a grade of stainless steel that has a small carbon content. It makes it easier to machine but is still stainless and will not rust. There is a common myth that stainless will not stick to a magnet, this is not true. There are 5 basic categories of stainless, and in each of them are are several sub categories. All have different properties and advantages/disadvantages. I could go into a whole lot of details but I doubt any of you are that interested, if you do take an interest just have a google and you shall find what you seek

PS
I almost forgot, there are 5 flutes on the knob at present. I could do more, or a little less but to me 5 looks the best. (yes I have tried others)

A man who knows what he is talking about, Magnetic ST ST What ever next. LOL. I could write pages on electrolytic reaction and even more on the rows it caused, back in the day.

The Stainless material is 303, I can get a lower carbon content but the 303 gives better machining properties and easier polishing, plus it is also easier for the end user to clean and polish. I don't know about the aluminium, I shall have to check and see. But if the good doctor would like some 316 I have some in my stock ;-)
I work from a small shed and so I have to pick materials that I can cut on a small machine, hence the 303. For anybody else reading this 303 is a grade of stainless steel that has a small carbon content. It makes it easier to machine but is still stainless and will not rust. There is a common myth that stainless will not stick to a magnet, this is not true. There are 5 basic categories of stainless, and in each of them are several sub categories. All have different properties and advantages/disadvantages. I could go into a whole lot of details but I doubt any of you are that interested, if you do take an interest just have a google and you shall find what you seek

Well... It arrived today, my new SS Digress.
Not had chance to shave yet but first impressions, it's a beautiful razor. Looks great, and feels fantastic in hand.
I shall give it a whirl this weekend and report back.

Back
Top Bottom