Merkur Progress "Digress"

After a wee bit of Of work and a lot of thought, the "Digress" is now available.

Either in Stainless Steel (HD) or Aluminium (LD) this Progress conversion, engineered in the UK and available exclusively from "The Gentlemans Groom Room" in Dundee is a joy to use.

I have the HD in Stainless. It looks fantastic and handles very well indeed...

The razor is stripped, the whole lower assembly (threaded portion that engages the top plate through to the knob) is replaced.

The numbering ring is retained and replaced on the new part and is, of course, calibrated to land on "1" with a blade fitted..

These razors are available from new, with a retro fit service also available on owners own razors.

Check out

http://www.thegentlemansgroomroom.com/News/Latest/The-Gentleman-s-Groom-Room-News.htm

For more detail...

Very nice and I think that at £89 it is a good price too! I am just sad that I have not one but two Mergress XL razors and I can see that I am going to lose money when I sell one of them shortly as this will undoubtedly drive the price of the Mergress down in the UK.

Thank you for progressing this (if you pardon the pun!).

David

Do you have to. I was just thinking that I need to stop buying razors, but I would really like an adjustable... then this comes along.

I cannot resist...!!

As an aside I'm not sure how I missed this retail outlet... really good selection. Not sure that is a good thing!

Thanks.

Jon

Is there a TSR discount code, does anyone know?

Jon

looks good

can you just buy the new conversion kit if you own the progress, i cant think why it would need retro fitting.

Al H said:
looks good

can you just buy the new conversion kit if you own the progress, i cant think why it would need retro fitting.

It's due to calibration of the adjustment ring that gets carried over.

that is a bit technical for me but i will take your word for it.

assuming they are getting progresses at trade for about £25 the retro fitting would be £60 ish.

it may improve the razor but same as the mergress and black chrome debates i would prefer someone to make a metal version of the existing dial built to the same size just to keep the look the same

I'd be interested in hearing whether the extra weight of the stainless steel adversely changes the balance of the razor - vis-vis the standard-issue plastic or indeed custom aluminium.

Interesting concept, anyway!

Ratty, I am sure if you speak with Ian, he can organise an XL version. I am also a big fan of long handles, but found using the shorter handles is actually much more comfortable in a lot of cases.

I started off with the Merkur 38(c), I now use a short handled "Digress" most days (4,3.5,3.5) and on days when I fancy a change I use the Webber with a custom Alu/Brass handle (short)

I do have a large selection of razors, and do experiment. But my "goto" are the Digress and Webber.

I do not find that the SS knob adversely affects the balance, I like most heavy razors (Fatboy, SS HD, 39 (c) Slant) as I think it encourages me not to put too much pressure on the head "let the head do the work".

The ring from the original needs to be carefully removed and preserved, the new part is engineered and the ring replaced and secured in the correct position. This makes retro fitting impossible for the majority.

The shop is my local outlet, great to look around, Ian is a VERY knowledgable shaving enthusiast who trained at Harrod's. He performs wet shaves in the shop and has a vast knowledge of his products.

Al, I know what you mean regarding the knob shape. Unfortunately EVERYONE has a different idea of what they would like, I posted ideas early last month and canvassed opinion, the Digress was designed as a direct result of the input from forum members.

The old adage "you can't keep everyone happy, all of the time" certainly applies to razor design!

To keep costs down, the engineers have had to come up with a design which appeals to the majority, as custom, individual razor builds would be a nightmare....

The Digress is, in my opinion, not a million miles away from the original plastic knob in respect of design.....

I certainly would not swap my Digress (the original) for anything, especially not a plastic knob version!

i have just spoke to ian (what a nice man)

existing progress owners just need to send their razor in obviuosly putting name adress and post code on and when it is ready you can pay by paypal.

cost around £55

and the guy that does it is away for a week so their might be a two week delay

I just got an email off Ian and he can do the mod on a ProgressXL too. He's placing an order now and should have them 'Digressed' in a couple of weeks. Get your name down now!

Ratty

Back
Top Bottom