Lurker...

I perfectly understand honing services refusing a factory edge Gold Dollar, it is often not hone ready, meaning it may need work and plenty of it on heel, toe and spine before proper honing is possible, so nah! no Gold Dollar.

I can see exactly where you're coming from - usually the effort outweighs the result. I wonder if a honing service knew about Billyji, whether they'd accept a Gold Dollar for rehoning? Billyji has obviously spent the time gaining skill and applying it to said razor...

As my Grandmother always said 'Buy cheap, buy twice' Get a good razor from the start and it'll look after you.

I also fully understand this sentiment. I think if I was a bit more confident that this would be a lasting endeavour, I would probably plumb for something a bit more up-market/finer etc. However, as I'm just starting out, as cheap as I can confidently go is the way for me currently. I can learn what I need without too large an outlay. If it works for me, great, I can go more expensive and have a far keener razor. If it doesn't, I won't lose sleep over the £80-150 I've dished out on shaving gear. I hope that makes sense!

That being said, I'm thoroughly enjoying myself so far, despite only having tried a crap razor with a (likely) crap soap and a lower-market brush! :D

I rehoned my old man Billy Gold Dollar last night, not that it needed it, edge was still in good shape, did it just to compare with my vintage SRs, result: keen edge, nice shave this morning, so after old man Billy transferred it from factory edge to shave ready it is also perfectly hone ready even for a newbie like me.

Last edited:
That's good to know. I'm going to buy one of Pete's strops today so hopefully that won't take too long to post and I can get down and jiggy with the razor that's on it's way!

Edit: I've now placed my order on Pete's strop!

@Benz3ne Pete should throw full instructions in as well. Just pm him on ebay and say you are a newbie or give him a ring. He is a really nice bloke and very helpful. Seems to have many interests as his blog shows.

http://peters-eaters.co.uk/
That's great, cheers. I've messaged him on eBay and he's promptly responded saying they're included! What gents you shaving-folk all are!

Received my BGD (Billy's Gold Dollar) and gave it a quick trial run on cheeks and under my lower lip to tidy up my beard. They went well with plenty of lather (cheap though) so trialled it on my neck - I think I was a little under-confident and heavy-handed. Found it a bit awkward getting a comfortable stroke against or with the grain. Have a bit of a shaving rash as a result but VERY smooth in places. Overall, a good experience. Showed myself I should practice more on cheeks etc before attempting my neck. Chucked some (also cheap) balm on and my cheeks and immediately under my chin are nice and smooth and soft and further down my neck towards my Adam's apple is a bit rougher.
Next plan is to give the razor a strop when it arrives before using it again and get myself some more up-market soap, an alum block and a shaving bowl. Thereafter I'll be free to shave to my heart's content.

Thanks again people!

Received my BGD (Billy's Gold Dollar) and gave it a quick trial run on cheeks and under my lower lip to tidy up my beard. They went well with plenty of lather (cheap though) so trialled it on my neck - I think I was a little under-confident and heavy-handed. Found it a bit awkward getting a comfortable stroke against or with the grain. Have a bit of a shaving rash as a result but VERY smooth in places. Overall, a good experience. Showed myself I should practice more on cheeks etc before attempting my neck. Chucked some (also cheap) balm on and my cheeks and immediately under my chin are nice and smooth and soft and further down my neck towards my Adam's apple is a bit rougher.
Next plan is to give the razor a strop when it arrives before using it again and get myself some more up-market soap, an alum block and a shaving bowl. Thereafter I'll be free to shave to my heart's content.

Thanks again people!
Don't worry about getting it all smooth around the neck area, stick to one or two passes, if you need it closer anywhere, then use a DE or cartridge, it will come with time, and if you try too hard you are liable to cut yourself.

Don't worry about getting it all smooth around the neck area, stick to one or two passes, if you need it closer anywhere, then use a DE or cartridge, it will come with time, and if you try too hard you are liable to cut yourself.
+1 with the above. I shave with the straight first pass then finish off with a DE. Don't try for a totally smooth outcome at first. When they bite, they bite hard. Take your time and shave slowly. Well done on starting.
That's great, cheers! I'll look to do it all softer etc. next time! I think heavy-handedness is my current, main flaw. I've done a bit of reading today and found out that minimal pressure is all it takes. I'm more accustomed to disposables and electric razors so, in that respect, am used to pressing down a little hard. I'll leave it a couple of days to accumulate some goodies and grow some hair then reapproach it. I'll leave the next for a bit because it's looking a little angry as it stands but it's not particularly uncomfortable. I'm this close to buying some P&B Sanskrit...it sounds delicious.

Edit: 10 minutes later I have some P&B Sanskrit on the way.

Last edited:
I do like the chunkiness/heft of it but I think something a little lighter would be more favourable. I have my eye on a couple of auctions and if they're cheap enough I'll plumb for them! If someone else gets them I won't feel hard done by!
Not as slick a performer as for example my Revisor blade but I like the chunky Gold Dollar feel making it easy to control for a newbie.

Took me about four weeks of training on cheap chunky Chinese blades before I was able to appreciate and really take advantage of the slick character of vintage full hollow blades.

Back
Top Bottom