Lurker...

Shwmae pawb! Alright all!

I've been lurking for a little while, and have been focussing attention a bit more fairly recently to the point of setting up an account so I can go about asking a couple of questions.

Rather unfortunately, I've gone and bought myself a super cheap eBay special (just before finding the 'razors to avoid' thread), so that should be arriving after the weekend. I have a knife sharpening set but I seriously doubt this will suffice for a SR, especially a cheapo one...

Where would the best place to start be for me, in this situation? Would it be worth me 'trying it out' and having a jolly time of smoothing my hairs with the, likely blunt, SR? What would a decent, cheap-ish, starter SR be? I've tempted myself (on and off) with a shavette, but have heard they're a little unforgiving in terms of nicking one's skin etc.

Thanks in advance for the help, you lovely, probably immaculate people!

Shwmae pawb! Alright all!

I've been lurking for a little while, and have been focussing attention a bit more fairly recently to the point of setting up an account so I can go about asking a couple of questions.

Rather unfortunately, I've gone and bought myself a super cheap eBay special (just before finding the 'razors to avoid' thread), so that should be arriving after the weekend. I have a knife sharpening set but I seriously doubt this will suffice for a SR, especially a cheapo one...

Where would the best place to start be for me, in this situation? Would it be worth me 'trying it out' and having a jolly time of smoothing my hairs with the, likely blunt, SR? What would a decent, cheap-ish, starter SR be? I've tempted myself (on and off) with a shavette, but have heard they're a little unforgiving in terms of nicking one's skin etc.

Thanks in advance for the help, you lovely, probably immaculate people!
Welcome, best thing to do is to see what arrives but super cheap probably isn't a good sign. There is someone on there who reworks gold dollar razors and has them to a shave ready condition for around £30.00 , I forget his user name but someone will come up with it soon.
You will need to buy a strop as well to keep your shave ready razor shave ready!
You could go down the Feather artist club road or the clones of this type of shavette that take AC type blades, which imo would be better than the half a DE blade shavettes in terms of use .
The choice is yours.
Good luck, you never know, the razor you ordered may be ok, go easy.

Well, wow. Such quick and involved replies already! Cheers chaps! That wouldn't happen to be billyj something on ebay? I've seen them for about £20 on his page which isnt steep at all! I'd likely get a strop sooner rather than later as I'm already unhappy with the 'finish' on my knives - they're only being honed to 1000 grit as it stands.

Im also in the south of Wales and regularly travel between Swansea and Cardiff so hopefully there would be someone who could offer such a service. Alternatively my barber has chatted about someone who sharpens her scissors so I can ask her about straight razor honing if needs be!

Thanks again! :D

Well, wow. Such quick and involved replies already! Cheers chaps! That wouldn't happen to be billyj something on ebay? I've seen them for about £20 on his page which isnt steep at all! I'd likely get a strop sooner rather than later as I'm already unhappy with the 'finish' on my knives - they're only being honed to 1000 grit as it stands.

Im also in the south of Wales and regularly travel between Swansea and Cardiff so hopefully there would be someone who could offer such a service. Alternatively my barber has chatted about someone who sharpens her scissors so I can ask her about straight razor honing if needs be!

Thanks again! :D
Yep , that's the chap billy something on eBay. The other reply you got regarding a vintage straight is also a good way to go, you can pick up some good vintage stuff that just needs honing. If it was me I would go for a vintage straight razor and have it sharpened but it's your choice and your money. Good luck.

Personally I find Billy can be a bit heavy handed honing, old school - no tape, the way to go on Gold Dollars in need of a lot of work but on nos or vintage it would not be my cup of tea.

To be honest what I've taken from the last two comments is that Billy's style suits the gold dollar razors, which is more in my price range. Good for starters from what I see/read.

I think that's going to be the way I go with it. I'll look for a decent strop too, shortly. I have some cheap shaving soap but not a brush so will have to invest in one of those, also.

Yes, great. Thanks for that Ben. I spotted that refunds are accepted on the listing earlier when I was having a look over it. I think I'm very much looking at Billyji1's Gold Dollar as a starter, as it should be weighty and sharp enough for me to get started. Add a strop to the mix and I think I'll be well on my way. Once I get the hang of things I can get involved in pass arounds and see where my preferences lie! Thanks again you lovely (probably hairless) people!

To be honest what I've taken from the last two comments is that Billy's style suits the gold dollar razors, which is more in my price range. Good for starters from what I see/read.

I think that's going to be the way I go with it. I'll look for a decent strop too, shortly. I have some cheap shaving soap but not a brush so will have to invest in one of those, also.

Hers a link to an excellent strop maker http://www.westholmestrops.com/#intro

Bi

Billy doesn't have a 'style' .He just knows how to hone a razor.Simple.Fact.Whether you buy a vintage or a gold dollar you will be buying a well honed razor from someone who has been doing this for decades.

Back
Top Bottom