Lurker...

I think I'd be the same if it was a more expensive one but £20 and hone-able should be absolutely fine for me to get started. Same with the strop, if it works it works! Same goes for brush and the only real 'novelty' will be a nicely scented soap, probably!

Do your wallet a favour. Do not buy one of these strops as a starter. You will destroy it believe me...
Just out of interest (sorry if this comes across funny) but how would I destroy it? I've got a good ideal about stopping from learning to sharpen knives and, although I know I'm a novice, I'm light-handed/dexterous and am fortunate enough to read/understand well. Sorry if this comes across 'angry' or offensive, that's certainly not my prerogative.
Do you have a suggestion for a cheaper starter strop to gain basics with? I think the solid base would suit me from experience.

Just out of interest (sorry if this comes across funny) but how would I destroy it? I've got a good ideal about stopping from learning to sharpen knives and, although I know I'm a novice, I'm light-handed/dexterous and am fortunate enough to read/understand well. Sorry if this comes across 'angry' or offensive, that's certainly not my prerogative.
Do you have a suggestion for a cheaper starter strop to gain basics with? I think the solid base would suit me from experience.
Ok sorry for the intrusion. Good luck with your stropping

I think Wayne only meant to save you £ until you have a bit more experience with the strop.Which I think is fair advice.Personally I would choose a basic affordable strop with razor to match then upgrade later.

Ok sorry for the intrusion. Good luck with your stropping
Again, I never meant to cause offence and sorry if I did in any way, shape or form. Just want to know in what ways beginners ruin their strops and whether you could point me in the direction of a cheaper/beginner strop.

Thanks once again for the input.

I think Wayne only meant to save you £ until you have a bit more experience with the strop.Which I think is fair advice.Personally I would choose a basic affordable strop with razor to match then upgrade later.
Of course, I fully understand and respect that. I'd love to hear of ways to save some cash before progressing to better equipment. I, unfortunately, didn't know how best to word my response without sounding like a little, Welsh arse!

Until you build up some muscle memory you may find you nick your strop at both ends on the turn. Nicks are fairly inevitable at first with a hanging strop. A paddle is easier. One thing to remember at first is that speed isn't necessary. The stropping action does the work not the speed. I, like you feel I take instruction well. I learn easily and can repeat things I've seen on You Tube for instance. This still did not stop my first strop rapidly looking like something Freddy had used in Nightmare on Elm St. Just when I got comfortable 'Bugger' I caught it again. Honestly Ben I would leave the £100 strops at first. I ruined my first (well not ruined but it has a fair few nicks in it) Luckily i only paid £12 for it so it was a perfect learning strop. I made my second and touch wood i haven't one single nick on it to date.

That's great, thanks for this Wayne! Great tips there for me to get my teeth (rather than my razor) sunk into - once I buy a decent razor, of course! I think the one's Pete makes for circa £15 is pretty good in terms of having decent review from knowledgable folk as well as a decent price-point. I don't think I'd go as far as a £100 strop, especially when starting out. Fortunately for me, I have more sense than money! That's great, I'd love to learn to make my own. Sounds like it's gone great for you after not a huge amount of time!

Thanks again, Wayne.

Cut from one of the excellent texts on this forum by Neil Miller: "I would opt for a modest leather hanging strop, 2 or 2.5 inches wide to begin with. Why modest? Because it will be cheaper and you will most certainly nick it during the learning process unless you are a prodigy of some sort!"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom