Lurker...

As for soap, I would recommend a Palmolive stick to start with, a good soap for next to nothing, learn to master it and you will have a referens before heading the artisan way...

Wow thanks fellows! Plenty of good information to go on. I did have a look at the body shop online earlier as they've got some 20%-off deals and have a shaving brush for £7, pre-sale. I might see what it's like tomorrow as it's hardly going to break the bank and I'd get to see it first-hand! Does this sound alright? I'll check out the synthetic, plissoft-knot brushes in the mean time!

You were right about everyone being stellar fella's!

Ben. How do you shave at the moment, out of interest?
Sporadically, currently. I used to use a disposable and after an accident at work about a year ago I had to stay clean shaven for about 3/4 months so went back to disposable crap razors.
I have an electric trimmer so keep my beard/moustache manageable but want to shape it more/have some clean shaves often. I've enjoyed having a beard but it's getting boring/annoying now and like the look of straight razor shaving. Shaving the majority of my cheeks is part of my current routine as is shaving my neck but I'd resist straight shaving that until I'm confident with it.

Update: This, here, Welsh lurker has gone and purchased himself one of Billy's Gold Dollar straight razors. Should be with me by Thursday latest I'd imagine.
Also went into the Body Shop and bought one of their synthetic shaving brushes - saved the postage fee and hassle of buying online and got to see it in person before buying it. It feels more 'coarse' than I'd have imagined, trying it on my hand in the shop. Trying it dry on my dry face when I got home felt quite nice though! Cost £4.20 as I managed to wangle the black Friday discount in store!
Thanks again for your godly advice, sirs!

Update: This, here, Welsh lurker has gone and purchased himself one of Billy's Gold Dollar straight razors. Should be with me by Thursday latest I'd imagine.
Also went into the Body Shop and bought one of their synthetic shaving brushes - saved the postage fee and hassle of buying online and got to see it in person before buying it. It feels more 'coarse' than I'd have imagined, trying it on my hand in the shop. Trying it dry on my dry face when I got home felt quite nice though! Cost £4.20 as I managed to wangle the black Friday discount in store!
Well done on your purchases. I'm sure you will be happy with them.

Last edited:
I use one of Pete's strops too. It is easy to ruin a strop with a slip of the hand and cut the leather. If you do it with one of these Pete sell replacement leather patches for £3. If you slip and cut up a £100 shell cordovan hanging strop you are basically fucked.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/top-quali...221292?hash=item1ebbc4462c:g:jj4AAOSwoudW2umS

Thanks for this Matteob! That's really a good deal if you ask me! I'll certainly NOT be splurging £100 on a strop, not for some time at least!

Update #2: I had my cheap (and I mean cheap) razor through the post today. Doesn't cut a hanging hair but whittles one so my non-expert opinion says it's potentially been honed since being in the country but not as fine as can be. It has definitely been oiled. I tried it out with my cheap shave soap (birthday present off my older brother) - came in a kit with a bag, moisturiser and 'shaving balm' called 'The Dapper Chap' kit. Soap made a surprisingly thick, nice foam and I've had no reactions to it. It smells nice, labelled as 'sandlewood' scent but is subtle and sweet. Wouldn't be surprised if there was vanillin in there. Body shop shaving brush was nice to use. I tidied up my neck line with the cheap razor and found it as I anticipated. It doesn't quite cut the hairs on contact. It pulls and drags a bit, akin to a disposable which has been used once. Anyhow, I had a couple of little marks which look a tad 'shaving rashy' so chucked on some of the 'balm' which smells surprisingly good in my opinion, albeit a little too sweet. Looking forward now to having my actually shave-ready SR through the post!

I do have to add, it was a good experience using the cheap Chinese razor to start. I could feel where a 'good' angle was, one which cuts the hairs despite being relatively blunt, and allowed me to play around with my grip/pulling skin flat etc. without too much risk of damage. I may keep hold of this one so I can practice honing properly down the line. It would be a cheap exploit, should I ruin the razor!

You Cant Go Wrong with One of those Shave Ready Gold Dollars..I Learned on One..They are Quite Heavy & Not as Balanced in the Hand as a Vintage SR but they are Good Robust Shavers that Hold their Edge Well..:)

Billy

@Benz3ne And just to add since the professionsl razor snobs won't hone these when they get blunt @Fergiebilly offers a free honing service from the good of his heart. Who said the Scots were tight fisted! :p
This is positively unheard of! In seriousness, that's exceptionally kind-hearted. I may well ask for help in that respect early-ish on and eventually look to be able to approach that aspect myself.
In summary, thanks in advance! :D

Back
Top Bottom