Let's make a razor!

Coming along great! Where's the balance point at the moment?
I ask because one thing I like in a razor is how well balanced it is. I have a old Joseph rogers that is nigh on 8/8 but it's such a big chunk of metal it 'feels' unnatural in the hand, same with a Henckels Friodur I have...Blade heavy.

My favourite razors are Filarmonica's, from the little fella's right up to the big boys they are all well balanced.

Looking forward to seeing this in action ;)

Cheers fellas. I don't plan on doing any shaving vids for now jaycey!

That's a good point about the balance. I'll pull out a few razors tomorrow to get a feel for where my favorite ones balance. I've never given it much thought before on a razor but always design the balance point into my knives.

The handle/tang is looks very long. I'm wondering about the balance and grip as well. It might be unwieldy holding the handle from the very end. I like your progress and look forward to the finished product and will be in line to order from the USA.

To be honest I didn't think to much about the usability of this razor. I was looking at it more as a means to practise grinding and heat treating. If there is a real interest in a one piece razor maybe I should put a bit more thought into the ergonomics....

I said at the top I'd be interested in a Kamisori style ...

From my VERY limited experience with the likes of Feather Artist Club, I'd say that balance is slightly head weighted. Put your thumb right up to the blade and it will still tip forwards. Perhaps folks who have real Kamisori razors can jump in and tell us about the balance.

Okay, I just tried my little Tosuke and the balance was perfect. The weight is very light. It would be considered a size 1 (5/8). On the other hand the balance on the much more prized Henkotsu Gold No. 11, size 2 (13/16) had a very heavy "head" and the only way to balance is to choke up on the grip, pinching a half inch from the blade edge. A yet larger kamisori (unreadable kanji for maker) has a wider blade(7/8 plus) with much less thickness and angle to the wedge shape and feels lighter or at least much better balanced to the hand. I don't know if that helps anything. Just my observation. I just know you have to compensate for the weight in the head somehow in dealing with balance.

Here's the balance on the little fella I made today

13227503615_fd239ac4b4_z.jpg

The blade is 50mm and the overall length is 150mm. How does that compare to the razors you guys are using?

Another question.... How are these razors packaged? I mean, how do you safely package them for posting?

Coming in very late to this thread and hoping one day to learn the art of the straight if only to shave the neckline of my hopeful full beard, I wish the very best of luck, sir!

Back
Top Bottom