Let's make a razor!

damn it - count me in - although to be truthfull it will be a case of - "shaves well, i love it" or not - i have several straights but i am by no means experienced. If you would rather it went to someone else - by all means i understand. Maybe Jamie (pugh) would be far more suited

pugh-the-special-one said:
UKRob said:
Hi Mike. The Coticule.be website has a calculator that arrives at the bevel angle if you enter the spine width and blade width - from honing line to edge. So, given that an ideal bevel is between 17 and 18 degrees, you can calculate the rough dimensions.

That's combined 17 or 18 degrees Rob so about 9 degrees each side of the blade making a combined 18 so I'm thinking with a spine of 5mm dictating the angle that would be around 9 degrees.
My understanding is that it's 17 to 18 either side. It seems more likely than less than 10 degrees - how do knives compare, something like 30?

mikew said:
That razor looks a beauty Jamie. What's the thickness at the spine?

I think the reason we don't see full hollow grinds these days is because you need a really small contact wheel. Something like a 4 or 5" diameter. Most grinders that are aimed at knifemakers will have 8 or 10" wheels hence the half/quarter hollow grinds. I plan on getting a grinder that can take small wheels when funds allow as I like full hollows too.

Rob, I'd love you to put it through it's paces.

I'll be using O1 tool steel for the first couple which, on knives anyway, takes a great edge and holds it well for a carbon steel. It will be very interesting to see how it holds up on a razor. I like it at 59 RC for knives so I'll start there and we'll see what happens.

It would be nice for historic reasons to use silver steel but it's only available in round bar so there's a lot more work involved.

I'm already getting excited!

01 at 59 rc is very specific, with variable thickness and changes in section it will be something of a challenge , I've found it to be brittle and prone to cracking at that end of the scale and rarely push it beyond 56 for the applications where I use it...I'd play safe rather than fish a metal jigsaw out of the oil bath..Silver steel is more forgiving, without going into grain structure of round steel etc I've got some at 1 1/4 dia and could chop you a bit up if you'd like.

Terry

Hey Terry. I've made lots of knives now from 01 at 59RC but appreciate razors are a totally different animal. The reason I am avoiding silver steel is it means I have to get the hammer out. I prefer my steel to come in nice flat bars if possible :)

What line of work are you in?

mikew said:
Hey Terry. I've made lots of knives now from 01 at 59RC but appreciate razors are a totally different animal. The reason I am avoiding silver steel is it means I have to get the hammer out. I prefer my steel to come in nice flat bars if possible :)

Hiya Mike
I'm in toolmaking, moulds for the plastics industry, and often use 01 for guide rails/slides etc, I've got some 1 1/4 dia SS kicking about the shop and could easily cut a piece down to a 1/4 inch or so thick slice for you

Am I the only one struggling to keep up here?

Rob, I've had a drink now so I'm thinking a bit more clearly. I think the coticule table is referring to what I would call the secondary bevel or sharpening angle which I imagine is 17 degrees or so per side. A knife would be anything between 15 degrees and maybe 30 degrees per side depending on the type of knife.

I was thinking earlier about the primary grind angle which probably doesn't matter one bit.

I'm beginning to remember why I've been putting off making razors!!

Terrytoolpath said:
mikew said:

Hiya Mike
I'm in toolmaking, moulds for the plastics industry, and often use 01 for guide rails/slides etc, I've got some 1 1/4 dia SS kicking about the shop and could easily cut a piece down to a 1/4 inch or so thick slice for you

Now we are talking, yes please! PM to follow. Lets keep it between me and you though, I know a small army of knifemakers who would also be interested.

mikew said:
Am I the only one struggling to keep up here?

Rob, I've had a drink now so I'm thinking a bit more clearly. I think the coticule table is referring to what I would call the secondary bevel or sharpening angle which I imagine is 17 degrees or so per side. A knife would be anything between 15 degrees and maybe 30 degrees per side depending on the type of knife.

I was thinking earlier about the primary grind angle which probably doesn't matter one bit.

I'm beginning to remember why I've been putting off making razors!!

That's exactly how I understand it- 17 degrees each side - once you start getting lower than that you have an ever increasing bevel width that becomes harder and harder to sharpen.

If you look at the diagrams on Coticule.be they are referring to the bevel angle rather than grinding angle.

wow!!

I love hearing news like this, once apon a time, you could buy good quality stuff made to last life times that was built here in the UK.

now its all crap built in taiwan that falls to bits minutes after first use. lol

but i have a question is there any UK manufactors of straight razors left or has mikew found a gap in the UK market, to put us back on the map for top quality products once again.

i say this after looking and your website/blog and in my opinion a picture paints a thousand words.
good luck with this venture mikew, and don't forget 50% discount for those who buy the first 100 and are members of this site (BIG CHEEKY GRIN)

Love6060, there isn't anyone making razors in the UK with any regularity. There is a growing number of high end knife makers and a couple of them have tried making the odd razor.

I have some friends in what's left of the cutlery industry in Sheffield and have asked around a bit to see if anyone has any experience with razors or if there is any machinery still alive but as of yet have drawn a blank. What a shame.

I've wanted a straight for ages, but have stuck with the feather AC up to now.
Mostly because I haven't the first clue what to buy.

If this gets off the ground and goes commercial, I'll get my first straight from you.
Good luck with it. Watching with interest.

Back
Top Bottom