Let's make a razor!

We have/had a member here who claimed to have worked at Taylors of Sheffield as a blade grinder. His member name is oldbladegrinder.
I haven't seen him post for some time but may still be contactable, i'm sure he said he was still able to grind blades so would have to of still had the equipment and the knowledge ;)

Regarding the large full hollow ground blades, I don't know if you know but they usually had a 'belly' grind. Meaning that around 3/16 from the blade edge the blade had a thicker section (about 1/16) running along it's length to act as a stabiliser. To achieve this I would imagine you would need an even smaller diameter grinding wheel?

Thanks for the info. I know two guys who have worked a Taylors but neither of them make razors. They may know the fella you are referring too...

I know what you mean about full hollow blades jaycey. I suspect the primary grind is made with something like an 8" wheel then a second grind higher up with something like a 4" wheel? On videos you see from Dovo and the likes they appear to be using a pair of small wheels to grind both sides at the same time but it's hard to get the full picture.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. It's very encouraging :)

This is gonna be a very interesting project and I shall keep an eye on your progress with great interest.
I actually made my own razor about 15 months ago and it turned out great. Is actually my best razor and I own around 20.
I have another six half made in O1 but just have zero time to get them finished :mad: I will get round to it eventually though !
This one was made on a 6" bench grinder from an old file...
SOTD_zps14bb3b9b.jpg~original
[/URL][/img]

England said:
This is gonna be a very interesting project and I shall keep an eye on your progress with great interest.
I actually made my own razor about 15 months ago and it turned out great. Is actually my best razor and I own around 20.
I have another six half made in O1 but just have zero time to get them finished :mad: I will get round to it eventually though !
This one was made on a 6" bench grinder from an old file...

More pics please!

Things are moving slowly as I've been rebuilding my workshop, but the end is in site and I'm hoping to get my grinder up and running again tomorrow, hoorah!

Watch this space....

Ok, I wasn't supposed to be in the workshop today so this is something of a bonus. A prototype of the prototype....

13221871653_b2fef28c40_z.jpg

It's 8/8ths wide and 1 3/4" long and I suppose you'd call it 1/4 hollow ground.

This is the first time I've ground a blade on a wheel so a big step in the right direction.

Whoop whoop!

pugh-the-special-one said:
Starting to make progress Mike after seeing your knives I would imagine the razor to be equally as good.

Well it's a start anyway. After grinding on a flat platen for so long using a wheel was a truly terrifying prospect so I'm relieved to have popped my cherry as they say :)

I don't know if you kept to your 70 mm for the length, but most traditional Japanese razors have a length of from 50 to 60 mm. I think for this "style" of razor you don't need the almost 3 inch length of western style razors. Most people's faces don't have planes that need that full length. You can get around the face easier with the smaller length edge, I think.

Back
Top Bottom