Let's make a razor!

mulligano said:
Good luck with this venture Mike! I look forward to seeing the results.

Thanks.

This is the sort of grind we're looking at with an 8" wheel. This would be a 22mm wide blade from 5mm stock

12992996474_b8ddecc42a_z.jpg

Quarter hollow?

Hi Mike. The Coticule.be website has a calculator that arrives at the bevel angle if you enter the spine width and blade width - from honing line to edge. So, given that an ideal bevel is between 17 and 18 degrees, you can calculate the rough dimensions.

It's nice to way the calculator on that site shows you the angles with tape. On that basis my diagram would give a 15 degree bevel angle with one layer of tape. I might go with it just to see if it works, I suspect heat treatment and steel choice will have as much impact on edge retention as a 2 degree difference in angle. On the other hand 22mm is quite a wide razor....

UKRob said:
Hi Mike. The Coticule.be website has a calculator that arrives at the bevel angle if you enter the spine width and blade width - from honing line to edge. So, given that an ideal bevel is between 17 and 18 degrees, you can calculate the rough dimensions.

That's combined 17 or 18 degrees Rob so about 9 degrees each side of the blade making a combined 18 so I'm thinking with a spine of 5mm dictating the angle that would be around 9 degrees.

pugh-the-special-one said:
UKRob said:

That's combined 17 or 18 degrees Rob so about 9 degrees each side of the blade making a combined 18 so I'm thinking with a spine of 5mm dictating the angle that would be around 9mm.

You've lost me there Jamie. What would be around 9mm?

pjgh said:
Exciting! Is this likely to be a Kamisori style razor, or will the tail end get curved, finished and snapped between scales?

I suppose it will be a Kamisori flavored razor but I don't know much about them to be honest. Are they ground on one side only?

I'm not planning on putting scales on the prototype as I'm more interested in the grinding and heat treating for now.

I'm NOT the person to ask about this, so trust others will pitch in. I'm not a straight edge shaver, but flirt with the idea every so often using a Feather AC (kamisori-style). I would be very interested in trying a shorter blade, Kamisori-style ...

... I think the key is to have the tang set at a slight angle to the blade rather than straight out behind it. Perhaps a little longer than you've pictured, too, although I guess folks can add their own handles; a little longer and folks could just wrap it with twine, leather, bamboo, whatever.

I'd very very interested in a shave with one of these, but have no honing or stropping gear other than the back of leather belts and a chamois ... or the palm of my hand.

I've just been looking at some pictures of Kamisori razors and I see what you mean, the handle is angled upwards from the blade by a fair bit.

I think you've just volunteered yourself to try this bad boy out after Rob has tickled it :)

I'll start a list:

1 - UKRob
2 - pjgh

Back
Top Bottom