Let's make a razor!

I like the one resting on your finger! Balance point looks about right.
Satin finish on the blade, polished handle...jobs a good en ;)

Lovely stuff Mike.

I prefer the top one also. Just a couple of ideas - and I apprecuiate that those are just outlines, not final design. Single piece razors are a bit more difficult to control because you don't have the scales as a counterbalance, therefore you may want to put top and bottom jimps in as well as deepening the thumb notch.

That design that Jamie posted just about sums it up from a practical point of view - although the aesthetics aren't too bad are they?

Something like this Rob?

13248040764_a89f14e526_z.jpg

mikew said:
The tang may need to be a bit wider to get it to balance nicely at the thumb notch.

I guess to a large degree aesthetics and balance can be tailored to suit after most of the blade work has been done, as long as there's enough excess metal from the start. but right now I think its looking pretty damn good and definitely heading in the right direction. Nice work Michael

Terry

I would be delighted to find any of those designs in my Christmas stocking!

The look is "fierce" in the third one, definitely one to have on show but scary to use. I like the first/fourth one, and the changes made to it make it look better. However, this is just my opinion and ask 10 others and you may well get 10 different opinions!

Cheers! The balance is now worse. No big deal though, I will taper the tang down in thickness to compensate.

The thumb notch was taken out of the tang/handle so the edge is the same length. I'm thinking 55mm for the final length but I'll send a couple out once they are ready to get some feedback.

Oh and I need a better way to cut the jimping. I did this freehand with a needle file and it's a little irregular. There is a file called a checkering file but I'm having trouble sourcing one in the UK. Anyone know of a supplier?

I have three Kamisori type razors - a traditional Japanese with 50mm blade which is classed at the standard for men. A japanese 45mm is for women and the 60mm is classed as a head shaver.

My other two are artisan made with a Japanese grind so I don't know if they can technically be called Kamisoris, but they are nearer 60mm. All three are fine for shaving but I wouldn't like to go much bigger - despite most western straights routinely being in excess of 60mm - it may be because the overall length becomes an issue and the handle becomes awkward to manipulate.

IMHO, irregular jimping will add to its looks. Unless they are all over the place and look like I did them! Part of the beauty of these custom things is that they are hand crafted and unique. I love that my strop is hand made and stitched (not by me I hasten to add) and that it will be different from every other strop that person made, rather than identical to the 1000 others machine produced that morning.

So slightly irregular jimping will not put me off, however, for someone like yourself who is maybe a perfectionist, or close to it, then I hope you find a checkering file (I am off to google that one!) soon.

Here's about the best I can find Mike I know the postage is a little steep but still it's not a bad price.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GROBET-VALLORBE-SWISS-HAND-CHECKERING-FILE-6-Long-Cuts-00-0-1-2-/281169866215?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Back
Top Bottom