Ikon Slant

tonyspurs said:
p.b said:
Tall_Paul said:
Dammit, there is far too much enabling going on here.

The one thing stopping me buying is my previous three Ikons have not worked that well for me.

Yeah - far too much. The buggers.

Unfortunately for me, I love my open comb deluxe iKon and I loved the Merkur 37c pass-round. Chaces are that this'll be perfect for me. I'm just relying on will-power...

If that's the same Will Power I know then he's not much use!
At least I know to look out for the grey card hopefully I'll intercept it before shhh you know who:icon_razz:
Razor arrived from Bullgoose today,had a £26.99 charge on the side of the box but postie didn't ask for it so I never offered :icon_razz:

tonyspurs said:
tonyspurs said:
p.b said:
Tall_Paul said:

The one thing stopping me buying is my previous three Ikons have not worked that well for me.

Unfortunately for me, I love my open comb deluxe iKon and I loved the Merkur 37c pass-round. Chaces are that this'll be perfect for me. I'm just relying on will-power...

At least I know to look out for the grey card hopefully I'll intercept it before shhh you know who:icon_razz:
Razor arrived from Bullgoose today,had a £26.99 charge on the side of the box but postie didn't ask for it so I never offered :icon_razz:

Jammy git! I had to pay £20.86 today at post office for the head alone. [CRYING FACE] £8 handling fee is a joke.

Mine turned up today, no grey card as it came from Connaught (I wasn't risking hmrc, as I seem to be very well known there) plus it's nice to support one of our favourite vendors.

Looking forward to the morning. As usual 24hr delivery from Paul and a nice valobra hand soap was included, gratis. Thanks Paul.

Don't know why people worry about hmrc, even with their charge and postie mine was still cheaper from Bullgoose and got it early and like above if your lucky to sneak through a £35ish saving.

NNathwani said:
tonyspurs said:
tonyspurs said:
p.b said:
Tall_Paul said:

Jammy git! I had to pay £20.86 today at post office for the head alone. [CRYING FACE] £8 handling fee is a joke.

A Christmas card with £10 and a bottle of wine every year for postie pays dividends:icon_razz:

Jamies said:
Mine turned up today, no grey card as it came from Connaught (I wasn't risking hmrc, as I seem to be very well known there) plus it's nice to support one of our favourite vendors.

Looking forward to the morning. As usual 24hr delivery from Paul and a nice valobra hand soap was included, gratis. Thanks Paul.

Wish I has waited and bought from Connaughts like I had originally planned. With TSR discount it would have worked out cheaper after customs and handling fees. That's what I get for being impatient I suppose.

Should have done what others did: bought direct from Greg, had it shipped to my hotel and then hand-carried by me back to blighty.

Total cost, including me mailing from the UK it is just over a hundred quid!

I'm off to Brussels then Madrid then Bangalore in the next few weeks. What should I bring back from there for TSR members?

David

It really is TSR and humankind at their best! I bought a Slant from Greg and had it mailed to a man I have never met - he was to send it to me because Greg wouldn't ship to UK. Hoowever, another man I've never met said he would carry it back to UK for me - so the first man I've never met sent my iKon to the second man I've never met at his hotel someplace in America. The second man flew back to UK and mailed my iKon slant to me - it arrived just now.

Thank you very much to both men that I have never met for your part in getting my iKon Slant to me. And thank you TSR for making this trust and these connections possible.

The much awaited Slant arrived and I couldn't wait to put a blade into it and get a feel of tomorrow's shave.

First thing I noticed was the extraordinarily long head thread. Turns out it is so long that the iKon Classic handle I bought for this very razor is useless - the head thread bottoms in the handle way before clamping the head.

Next thing I noticed were the size of the blade locator pins - and, indeed, they are way too small in diameter to fix the blade tight. It is tight on the head thread and rotates around it within the limits allowed by the locator pins. This movement buries the blade edge beneath the top cap at one end of the blade and exposes a couple of millimeters at the other - the blade can be 'spun' to hide either end and expose the other.

The locator pins fit snuggly into the holes in the bottom plate of the head, suggesting to me that this is the way it was designed rather than that I have a dud..

Because Greg does not like exposed ends of blades, it is quite difficult and fiddly to get the blade correctly aligned and clamped.

So, I'm stuck with a handle I don't like - it's too short for me - and need to use great care in fitting the blade. All something of a huge dissappointment as I had expected a perfect razor and no-one else has mentioned either of these two flaws.

It had better give me a damn good shave in the morning!!

TSR members who helped you (y)

Pain in butt regarding your handle :(
Regarding blade alignment, I find best way is to fit upside down ie top plate facing down, insert blade and push down holding edges, bottom plate on and keep pressure on while fitting handle, never had trouble yet. I do agree though the posts should have been made bigger, maybe Greg has some technical reason they are the way they are.

stan794 said:
I do agree though the posts should have been made bigger, maybe Greg has some technical reason they are the way they are.

Oh that's easy! Sloppiness at the posts allows for the slant geometry - just I think Greg has allowed too much by a long way. If the pins were exact fits, the blade could not distort as it must in a slant. The way it is, it looks to me like Greg gave up trying to get the geometry right at design stage and relies on us to fiddle correct alignment in the country mile range possible.

I shall try all my iKon handles to see if one fits the Slant - or learn to love the Bulldog supplied.

Bechet45 said:
First thing I noticed was the extraordinarily long head thread. Turns out it is so long that the iKon Classic handle I bought for this very razor is useless - the head thread bottoms in the handle way before clamping the head.

Next thing I noticed were the size of the blade locator pins - and, indeed, they are way too small in diameter to fix the blade tight. It is tight on the head thread and rotates around it within the limits allowed by the locator pins. This movement buries the blade edge beneath the top cap at one end of the blade and exposes a couple of millimeters at the other - the blade can be 'spun' to hide either end and expose the other.

I'm sorry that you have had these problems! I have three handles: the one that came with the Slant, one from my iKon OSS and a Weber Bulldog and they are all fine which is why I hadn't mentioned the problem - I was unaware!

On the blade alignment, I load mine upside down (as mentioned) and have had no problems at all with blade alignment.

I do agree that the top cap has a very high "dome" and this makes it a bit tricky to get in really closely under my hooter! It means a bit of fiddly around but being careful no to nick myself!

I do hope that you have a first-class shave with it tomorrow and look forward to reading a report thereof!

David

davidb said:
Bechet45 said:

I'm sorry that you have had these problems! I have three handles: the one that came with the Slant, one from my iKon OSS and a Weber Bulldog and they are all fine which is why I hadn't mentioned the problem - I was unaware!

On the blade alignment, I load mine upside down (as mentioned) and have had no problems at all with blade alignment.

I do agree that the top cap has a very high "dome" and this makes it a bit tricky to get in really closely under my hooter! It means a bit of fiddly around but being careful no to nick myself!

I do hope that you have a first-class shave with it tomorrow and look forward to reading a report thereof!

David

I did exactly the same by loading it upside down, which I do with all my razors. No blade alignment issues at all and all I can add is, what a great shave I had.
I was very pleasantly surprised, even against the grain on the neck, it gave me a irritation free shave.

Like you I find it a bit fiddly right under the nose but I got there in the end. :)

Sort of apology to Greg. The Slant thread cannot be bottoming in the Classic handle - too deep. Also, it fits a variety of handles I tried it on. So I'm now thinking it must be a bum thread half way down the Classic handle - which I bought as a Weber Classic but is, in fact, an old style iKon Classic handle - which has changed hands a couple of times recently.

Now, who do I know with a set of M5 taps? I just bet a TSR buddy will oblige!

One of the handles that fits is a Weber Classic shiny - and it looks and feels good. So if I get a decent shave in the morning ......

Well! Whateverf else I have said already is blown into insignificance by this awesome razor. Lovely, easy, close shave, very comfortable, no hint of irritation. Well worth a bit of fiddling with blade alignment to achieve shaves like this!!

The iKon Slant is immediately up there in my favourites list, running alongside Webers.

The Bulldog handle was no use whatever to me and was changed out after the first stroke with a Weber Classic shiny, another one of which is already on its way to me.

For anyone in doubt, I recommend one of these fantastic razors.

Back
Top Bottom