Ikon Slant

Bechet45 said:
Well! Whateverf else I have said already is blown into insignificance by this awesome razor. Lovely, easy, close shave, very comfortable, no hint of irritation. Well worth a bit of fiddling with blade alignment to achieve shaves like this!!

The iKon Slant is immediately up there in my favourites list, running alongside Webers.

The Bulldog handle was no use whatever to me and was changed out after the first stroke with a Weber Classic shiny, another one of which is already on its way to me.

For anyone in doubt, I recommend one of these fantastic razors.

Glad you overcame the problems and had a great shave!

Mine arrived this morning and I will try it out later on 36 hours of growth- I'll report back!

Bechet45 said:
Well! Whateverf else I have said already is blown into insignificance by this awesome razor. Lovely, easy, close shave, very comfortable, no hint of irritation. Well worth a bit of fiddling with blade alignment to achieve shaves like this!!

The iKon Slant is immediately up there in my favourites list, running alongside Webers.

The Bulldog handle was no use whatever to me and was changed out after the first stroke with a Weber Classic shiny, another one of which is already on its way to me.

For anyone in doubt, I recommend one of these fantastic razors.

Glad you overcame the problems and had a great shave!

Mine arrived this morning and I will try it out later on 36 hours of growth- I'll report back!

Hate to be the one who points-out the nakedness of the Emperor, but is it really worth that much more than the Merkur Slant if it has similar blade-alignment foibles? I seem to recall that the idea was that here would be a precision-made slant design without the irritating variable alignment of the Merkur - if that isn't the case, then I can't see myself splashing-out on one, but obviously YMMV - if you have one or are experiencing RAD then it's either too late, or is worth it for its RAD-ending properties alone!

IMHO, it's worth it, blade issues are no big deal and easy to align. Shaves smoother than 37c and audible feedback is unreal. As for ending RAD, well I thought that but have since bought an ikon OSS and a Tradere OC so that's 4 stainless steel razors now including my ATT R1 but.... I think that's finally done the trick lol. I justify it by telling myself I only have 7 razors :)

chrisbell said:
Hate to be the one who points-out the nakedness of the Emperor, but is it really worth that much more than the Merkur Slant if it has similar blade-alignment foibles? I seem to recall that the idea was that here would be a precision-made slant design without the irritating variable alignment of the Merkur - if that isn't the case, then I can't see myself splashing-out on one, but obviously YMMV - if you have one or are experiencing RAD then it's either too late, or is worth it for its RAD-ending properties alone!

I understand completely what you are saying. I did have some misgivings while waiting for it to arrive. Spent too long on B&B reading about members who didn't like it.

Anyhow it arrived this morning, what a beauty. Very nicely made and the handle is very well polished. Perhaps a touch too much in relation to the head which is a little less shiny.

My only gripe is the 'Ikon' logo on the base of the handle. Some people don't like the Death's Head Ikon logo- it doesn't bother me at all. But the logo on the slant handle is quite clever in as much as the Death's head is incorporated in the 'o' of Ikon. The only problem to me is that it is laser etched and is not clear. What a shame it wasn't stamped or engraved.

Let's cut to the chase- I loaded it with an Astra green- no problems whatsoever with alignment. Simple prep, washed my face and lathered up with a Tabac stick.

Off we go- the usual 3 passes- wtg, xtg and atg. No problem with angles, it just worked. Many people have said it 'sings' , well no more than my Weber. It felt very smooth and comfortable.

At the end of the shave I assessed how close it was. Well- is it really possible to shave subcutaneiously? (sorry about the spelling) I have honestly never had a closer shave. When I hit my face with A/S there was no stinging.

This Razor is a shock- for me it's that good. I sold a 37C to help fund this purchase. I'm glad I did. The Merkur is good but this razor takes shaving to a higher plane!

I'm aware that it won't suit everyone, but if you are thinking about buying one just do it. I think if you don't like it you will have no problem in selling it on.

I'm looking forwards to trying other blades- any recommendations?

chrisbell said:
Hate to be the one who points-out the nakedness of the Emperor, but .......

You are right, Chris - the Emporer is indeed naked - but that is the whole point! He is such a beautiful specimen it would be a crrime to cover him and he's worth owning long before you think of shaving. That he is a master of his craft is an addded reason for owning him. In other words, he is worth the money at twice the price and thus a bargain at Greg's charge.

chrisbell said:
Hate to be the one who points-out the nakedness of the Emperor, but is it really worth that much more than the Merkur Slant if it has similar blade-alignment foibles?

Hiya doin chris,

I examined the Ikon slant head and it's a different build quality than a Merker or vintage Hoffritz. If you could handle the Ikon I think you would understand about it being a different beast and I have no doubt it shaves differently than a Merkur. The little bit of slop is no big deal to most people I think, as long as the shave ends up well in the end.

It might well be worth the money for some members.

stan794 said:
IMHO, it's worth it, blade issues are no big deal and easy to align. Shaves smoother than 37c and audible feedback is unreal. As for ending RAD, well I thought that but have since bought an ikon OSS and a Tradere OC so that's 4 stainless steel razors now including my ATT R1 but.... I think that's finally done the trick lol. I justify it by telling myself I only have 7 razors :)

Just a quick aside, Stan:
How do you rate your ATT R1 (quality of shave and quality of razor) compared to your other SS beauties? I was just wondering as you have a nice collection there.

Interesting reviews, chaps! I'm getting the impression that any misalignment of the blade is unimportant in terms of how it shaves, which would be an improvement over the Merkur which gained a reputation for harshness due mainly to misalignment AFAIK. Certainly in my experience, the shave when the blade is aligned correctly is superb, but it can be nasty if misaligned.

The ATT is amazing quality bit of kit much better than the ikons. Shave wise the R plate is pretty aggressive but once you have the angle dialled in the shave is great, one of my fav razors, BBS no problem. Highly recommend :)

chrisbell said:
Interesting reviews, chaps! I'm getting the impression that any misalignment of the blade is unimportant in terms of how it shaves,

So where are you coming up with that? Looks to me like the posters mostly don't care about tweaking the blade if needed during loading. I figured this would even the blade gap out. No? Am I missing something?

Gravy said:
I've shaved with the ikon with the blade set both ways.

Guillotine style blade exposure on each side, is my preference like it was on my 37c so the blade gap is constant.

Hey Gravy

Can I respectfuly ask you to re-phrase your post, probably using several more words and a smattering of commas and fullstops. As it is, I cannot understand what you are trying to tell us.

Do I correctly assume that "guillotine style" means a triagular blade exposure?

"Set both ways" defeats me unless you mean 'triangular' and 'parallel' blade exposure and ignore the infinite range between.

I really want to know what you are saying and I'm failing to understand.

When I first got my 37c I asked what was the correct alignment. Some people said align with top cap, some said align with bottom, some said bung in the blade and let the razor worry about it.
I have always aligned with the top cap and have done so with the ikon. What do the manufacturers of slants say is the correct way?

stan794 said:
When I first got my 37c I asked what was the correct alignment. Some people said align with top cap, some said align with bottom, some said bung in the blade and let the razor worry about it.
I have always aligned with the top cap and have done so with the ikon. What do the manufacturers of slants say is the correct way?

This:

http://youtube.com/watch?feature=em-upload_owner&v=KCqnZhNRzIY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKCqnZhNRzIY%26feature%3Dem-upload_owner

Back
Top Bottom