Ikon Slant

Bechet45 said:
Gravy said:
I've shaved with the ikon with the blade set both ways.

Guillotine style blade exposure on each side, is my preference like it was on my 37c so the blade gap is constant.

Hey Gravy

Can I respectfuly ask you to re-phrase your post, probably using several more words and a smattering of commas and fullstops. As it is, I cannot understand what you are trying to tell us.

Do I correctly assume that "guillotine style" means a triagular blade exposure?

"Set both ways" defeats me unless you mean 'triangular' and 'parallel' blade exposure and ignore the infinite range between.

I really want to know what you are saying and I'm failing to understand.

1st way (Normal DE blade exposure)

1) Centre blade to top cap. (two pins are too small, so this has to be done manually)
2) Hold the blade with your finger & thumb to the top cap so it doesn't move.
3) Put base plate on, moving your finger & thumb just before they get squashed.
4) Screw handle on.

Even blade exposure, uneven blade gap.

2nd way (Guillotine blade exposure)

1) Put the blade over the Pins
2) Twist the blade, so the blade is touching one pin on the left and the other pin on the right.
3) Hold the blade with your finger & thumb to the top cap, so it doesn't move.
4) Put base plate on, moving your finger & thumb just before they get squashed.
5) Screw handle on.

If doing this, make sure the wider blade gap end of the base plate matches the end with more blade exposure.

Uneven blade exposure, even blade gap.

These isnt as much of a difference to the shave between these two, as there was on the 37c.

Gravy said:
Bechet45 said:
Gravy said:
I've shaved with the ikon with the blade set both ways.

Guillotine style blade exposure on each side, is my preference like it was on my 37c so the blade gap is constant.

Hey Gravy

Can I respectfuly ask you to re-phrase your post, probably using several more words and a smattering of commas and fullstops. As it is, I cannot understand what you are trying to tell us.

Do I correctly assume that "guillotine style" means a triagular blade exposure?

"Set both ways" defeats me unless you mean 'triangular' and 'parallel' blade exposure and ignore the infinite range between.

I really want to know what you are saying and I'm failing to understand.

1st way (Normal DE blade exposure)

1) Centre blade to top cap. (two pins are too small, so this has to be done manually)
2) Hold the blade with your finger & thumb to the top cap so it doesn't move.
3) Put base plate on, moving your finger & thumb just before they get squashed.
4) Screw handle on.

Even blade exposure, uneven blade gap.

2nd way (Guillotine blade exposure)

1) Put the blade over the Pins
2) Twist the blade, so the blade is touching one pin on the left and the other pin on the right.
3) Hold the blade with your finger & thumb to the top cap, so it doesn't move.
4) Put base plate on, moving your finger & thumb just before they get squashed.
5) Screw handle on.

If doing this, make sure the wider blade gap end of the base plate matches the end with more blade exposure.

Uneven blade exposure, even blade gap.

These isnt as much of a difference to the shave between these two, as there was on the 37c.

Many thanks for that, Gravy. Gotcha! Someone else has said to me the same about getting a good shave either way. I'm just back downstairs from a good play about with my razor.

Seems to me that in centring the bade to the top cap, we get a blade gap that mimics that between the two plates ie as designed.

With the Guillotine method we have to ensure it is the right way round, as you say, but the blade gap is not as per the two plates ie not as designed. That you can get a shave at all let alone a good one this way utterly bamboozles me!!

With the 37C I was blissfully unaware of any blade alignment 'issues' till I read the thread and looked with my specs on - I used to just bung in a blade and shave. Seems, then, the same applies with the iKon Slant - provided the Guillotine is the right way round.

I just know I'm going to stick with top cap alignment - the other looks so wrong and dangerous to me!

NNathwani said:
This:

http://youtube.com/watch?feature=em-upload_owner&v=KCqnZhNRzIY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKCqnZhNRzIY%26feature%3Dem-upload_owner

That vid and my conclusionn about top cap alignment seem to coincide. Good tip about holding the blade and top cap between thumb and forefinger that way.

I've just returned from a week in NYC and couldn't resist treating myself to an Ikon Slant which I spotted in Pasteur Pharmacy on upper East Side. Haven't used it yet but will post thoughts once I have. By the way, if you are ever in New York be sure to pay Pasteur a visit. It's an Aladdins cave of shaving treasure trove.

colina said:
I've just returned from a week in NYC and couldn't resist treating myself to an Ikon Slant which I spotted in Pasteur Pharmacy on upper East Side. Haven't used it yet but will post thoughts once I have. By the way, if you are ever in New York be sure to pay Pasteur a visit. It's an Aladdins cave of shaving treasure trove.

I went last year that shop is amazing

I have to admit, the more I read about the slant the less I want one.

I had to fart around adjusting the blade on two of my other Ikons as well (as they were both difficult to load) and it always used to royally piss me off.

Gawd knows why Greg thinks it's acceptable on a high end razor.

Dipesh said:
I just think its the down side to not having exposed ends on the blade.

Mine still isn't here!

Hello Dipesh, never having owned a Slant DE before, I was curious to find out about the ikon "Shave Craft" Slant with Bulldog handle.

You are going to love this. The YouTube clip shown in Post No:146 by NNathwani is excellent......... never had a blade alinement since watching this clip.

I do like long handles, so I bought a spare OSS handle. Works wonderfully.

Charles U.k

Tall_Paul said:

All the negative stuff piles up and overwhelms the positive but the fact is - everyone here who has shaved with the razor rates it very highly. It is a beautiful piece of kit and a marvel to shave with.

Bechet45 said:
Tall_Paul said:

All the negative stuff piles up and overwhelms the positive but the fact is - everyone here who has shaved with the razor rates it very highly. It is a beautiful piece of kit and a marvel to shave with.

except me
weepers ,nicks all over the place
prep no different
regular blade vintage platinium ( that i'd used once and got a lovely shave )
face looked like a ******* mess

i do'nt expect to pay top dollar and fanny around lining blades up
end of

item now sold

Bought a head, despite the site not wanting to mail to UK. Mounted on iKon Bulldog. Two shaves now with different blades. Very impressed. Got rid of my Merkur 37c ages ago but this is a keeper. No blade alignment problems. No problems at all, actually.

Very nice piece of kit.

I've now had four shaves with my ikon slant, mounted on my UFO kaiser short, and I'm quite impressed. Not sure if it shaves any better than my DLC or 37c but it sure looks better. I'm also not sure if I've found the right blade for this razor yet. I've tried a 7 o'clock yellow and a SS shark (both of which usually work well for me) but they didn't perform as well as I'd hoped, as I found the shave a little tricky on the neck area without getting irritation. Going to try a Feather and polsilver next and see how i get on.
Not had any blade alignment issues at all but I'm not entirely convinced that it's worth the hefty price tag.

bigduncan said:
Bechet45 said:
Tall_Paul said:

except me
prep no different

end of

item now sold

I see you never you mentioned any of this when you sold it on in the BST though.

Dobbo25 said:
bigduncan said:
Bechet45 said:
Tall_Paul said:

except me
prep no different

end of

item now sold

I see you never you mentioned any of this when you sold it on in the BST though.

For sale, one bloodstained razor!!

Back
Top Bottom