Executive Shaving - Braveheart SS

I have had the Braveheart razor head for about one month, and I think it is great, cost £15 I think. I was looking for something that was more than the EJ89 and a bit less than the R41 in terms of bit, and it fits the bill just fine. Well made and provides a great shave, it comes out of my shave box more than any of the other DE's and if I had to keep only one this would be it. I had a handle made by Midas that is 4'' long made of SS that was sitting in the box and this fitted the Braveheart and looks dam fine. I find Gillette Yellow's work well for me in the Braveheart.:icon_razz::icon_razz:

stellablade said:
Received my head today. Blade gap looks a lot like my Progress on 4. Looking forward to trying it. Bit alarmed by the amount of blade flex. Hope it doesn't result in too much tugging!

I struggled with it, blade flexed a lot when trying to shave which resulted in a lot of pulling.

Doesn't sound promising. My facial hair is pretty thick and tough. Oh well I'll find out when I get around to using it. That flex really is alarming though.

mattyb240 said:
stellablade said:
Received my head today. Blade gap looks a lot like my Progress on 4. Looking forward to trying it. Bit alarmed by the amount of blade flex. Hope it doesn't result in too much tugging!

I struggled with it, blade flexed a lot when trying to shave which resulted in a lot of pulling.

stellablade said:
Doesn't sound promising. My facial hair is pretty thick and tough. Oh well I'll find out when I get around to using it. That flex really is alarming though.

mattyb240 said:
stellablade said:

Thick and coarse hair here but I didn't find it pulled - had to take extra care not to slice myself though. YMMV

I've got the head teamed up with an ultra-heavy stainless bespoke handle (for the moment, anyway), and I like it well enough. I can't say I've noticed any blade flex problems.

It's certainly got aggressive tendencies, and requires a bit more attention in handling than other razors, but it's a lot more pleasant to use than my Futur. That thing is like shaving with a mandolin slicer (the kitchen tool), and brings a whole new meaning to the expression "tearing off a strip".

Well I just plonked the Braveheart head on my DE89 handle with a lab blue & got one of my best 2-pass shaves. :D
If you find the smooth DE89 just a little too mild, then I thoroughly recommend this head. Great audible feedback & on the scale a couple of notches more aggressive than the DE89 head but still nice & smooth for the ATG pass.
Might be a bit much for me paired with the bulldog handle though.

Well sadly my suspicions were confirmed with tonight's shave. What an awful shave. The blade was certainly flexing which led to a few weepers and irritation. The entire time I was shaving just felt really uncomfortable as I felt the blade tugging. I know usually you should give a new razor a few tries to get used to it but I can see it's not for me. It wasn't the aggression that was the problem, I've been using a Pearl and Fatip recently, it was that horrible flexing and tugging.

Well, one more try with it this week and if I get the same result it will be on BST. I'll swap out the blade to make doubly sure the blade isn't duff.

stellablade said:
Well sadly my suspicions were confirmed with tonight's shave. What an awful shave. The blade was certainly flexing which led to a few weepers and irritation. The entire time I was shaving just felt really uncomfortable as I felt the blade tugging. I know usually you should give a new razor a few tries to get used to it but I can see it's not for me. It wasn't the aggression that was the problem, I've been using a Pearl and Fatip recently, it was that horrible flexing and tugging.

Well, one more try with it this week and if I get the same result it will be on BST. I'll swap out the blade to make doubly sure the blade isn't duff.

I wonder if your Braveheart head is out of manufacturing tolerance with others? I've used this razor alot, and have no sign of blade flex whatsoever. It's a dam good shaver. The only issue I have with it is that unfortunately the finish isn't as durable as I had hoped, and the it is start to micro bubble a bit, and doesn't look as pristine as it did new. Doesn't effect performance, but to someone that polishes up their razors to a shine after every use, it is disappointing...

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. The problem I think is my tough, grizzly and greying beard! I've noticed some DE razors are more prone to blade flexing depending on their design, combine that with very tough hair and a razor with more blade exposure and you can get tugging. They all flex to some degree and that seems to be one of the advantages of SE razors.

The Progress was something of a revelation to me. I largely put that down to the extreme bend of the blade on the Progress helping to make the blade more rigid. Works brilliantly for me as I can ramp up the aggressiveness without any blade issues.

StephenShave said:
stellablade said:

I wonder if your Braveheart head is out of manufacturing tolerance with others? I've used this razor alot, and have no sign of blade flex whatsoever. It's a dam good shaver. The only issue I have with it is that unfortunately the finish isn't as durable as I had hoped, and the it is start to micro bubble a bit, and doesn't look as pristine as it did new. Doesn't effect performance, but to someone that polishes up their razors to a shine after every use, it is disappointing...

stellablade said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with it. The problem I think is my tough, grizzly and greying beard! I've noticed some DE razors are more prone to blade flexing depending on their design, combine that with very tough hair and a razor with more blade exposure and you can get tugging. They all flex to some degree and that seems to be one of the advantages of SE razors.

The Progress was something of a revelation to me. I largely put that down to the extreme bend of the blade on the Progress helping to make the blade more rigid. Works brilliantly for me as I can ramp up the aggressiveness without any blade issues.

Odd, I too have a fairly tough old beard, using a FatBoy & Slim both on maximum No. 9 to get a good shave. My daily shaver is a Muhle R41 which I love, and if I was forced to narrow my collection of a dozen or so DEs, that's the one I'd stick with... Apart from the quality, The Braveheart is fine for me.

Tough and dense beard for me too (under the chin if nowhere else) combined with fairly sensitive skin - I've never managed an ATG with any combo. I have trouble with XTG bringing up razor bumps. The Braveheart and a 37C usually with a Rapira pink and black, I tend to use the 37C for speed and the BH for when I have time. The BH probably has the edge under the chin (see what I did there?) but is a bit of a Vampire for quick use. Not weepers or irritation but the occasional slice if careless, it's the only razor that I've cut myself with for about two years.
YMMV obviously. R41 just rubbed my face raw everytime I tried it.

I bought a Braveheart head from ES today,paired it with my Muhle (R41 Grande) handle,feels good to hold & looks the part,a very well made piece of kit. Planning to try it out tomorrow along with their Lime soap.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom