Anyone using a Hone 15 DE razor?

a Tech is tame and inefficient. I can't think of an example for aggressive and inefficient. Maybe a Tech with a Derby blade o_O

I've always found a Tech and Feather combo to be tame and very efficient. It wasn't until I used really sharp blades that I loved using the Tech. Admittedly, before I thought it too mild.
Despite having trialled a large number of blade types, and having quite a selection of vintage Gillettes, it's still the most dependable and comfortably efficient DE combo that I have.

I made a shim for my Hone on Saturday evening from a single blade. I shaved with it on Sunday morning (half a day's stubble), and now Monday morning (full day's stubble). I used a new Feather blade on Sunday morning, and used that again on Monday morning. Both shaves got me BBS from 3 passes.

For me, it seems a decent improvement. Much more efficient, slightly more aggressive. Still feels very unlikely that I'd ever cut myself with it.

I should probably try unshimmed with a Feather blade at some point, just to be sure it's not just the blade.

Who needs restraint at your stage of the game? Restraint is only good for paying the mortgage, not for indulging your new habit! Maybe good for buying a roof, too?

Last edited:
I'm always a little confused by the comments on length of handles, I'm 6'1" and the only person in a building of over 80 people that uses XL rubber gloves, and I've yet to have a problem with any razor I've tried because of handle length, would someone care to elaborate on where there issue lies, this is a serious question, I'm not attempting to criticize, just to understand where the problem is.

That half answers the question, so its just a personal thing ? ("Like to shave") as opposed to an actual problem ?,
do you feel the shave benefits from the grip position ? as I have said I find no problem adjusting to each razor as I use it.

Hate to do the echo thing, but this is not a wind up, I'm truly interested in all the nuances of my still new life in DE shaving.

I'm 6'1" and the only person in a building of over 80 people that uses XL rubber gloves, and I've yet to have a problem with any razor I've tried because of handle length, .
Im an 8.5 or 9.0 glove at work (depending on make) so I too have hands like shovels, yet most of my bespoke razor handles are about 85mm long and perfectly fine, I just felt with the hone maybe another 5 or 10mm would have felt better in my hand - horses for courses, its a personal thing and I dare say I'll get used to it - or in the worst case scenario pop another handle on it - but then that defeats the object of the razor for me if I do that and will set off my autistic streak....

I made a shim for my Hone on Saturday evening from a single blade. I shaved with it on Sunday morning (half a day's stubble), and now Monday morning (full day's stubble). I used a new Feather blade on Sunday morning, and used that again on Monday morning. Both shaves got me BBS from 3 passes.

For me, it seems a decent improvement. Much more efficient, slightly more aggressive. Still feels very unlikely that I'd ever cut myself with it.

I should probably try unshimmed with a Feather blade at some point, just to be sure it's not just the blade.

Hi @wintoid really interesting, thanks for experimenting. I would like to hear the comparisons with the feather and no shim. :)

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooah
I keep feeling my face.
Its so smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth.

Im quite impressed with the Hone.
I may have to sell all my other razors. Handle could perhaps do with being a smidge longer.

@Father Ted really glad you are liking it :) I would make you a 'cup o' tea' to say thank you, but fear it would be cold by the time it reached you ;)

Hi @wintoid really interesting, thanks for experimenting. I would like to hear the comparisons with the feather and no shim. :)
Sure I'll try and test it at some point. I'm a bit overwhelmed with razors at the moment, what with the Blackbird arriving and now a Seygus too (thanks to the enablers in this thread). It's fair to say that the Blackbird and the Hone are about as different from each other as it's possible for razors to be :)

Back
Top Bottom