Anyone using a Hone 15 DE razor?

Hello Andrew,

Yesterday I could open the package and take my Hone Type 15. It is a safety razor very beautiful and very well made. The first thing that caught my attention was the weight.

Today I shaved with it and I liked it. I used a razor blade Gillette Silver Blue, I felt much the blade on the skin but it has not cut me and I have got a good shave.

The leather case is also fantastic.

533a3791e00e0f00d5b1c3e10290c7d3.jpg

Congratulations to Carl Morgan and you.

Dear @Inhaki Thank you very much for your kind words, I'm very glad you like your razor... also a beautiful photograph thank you so much for posting! I will pass your feedback on to Carl about the case, I know he will love to hear it. Thanks for sharing your experience.

@Ferrum Thank you very much, I cant see it in my inbox yet hopefully its just taking a little time to come through. :) many thanks Andrew. EDIT: found it hiding, thank you so much.

Last edited:
With all the good reports, and since I missed the passaround, I decided to order a Hone 15, despite the discount code no longer working. It arrived yesterday, and I have two shaves with it so far.

Yesterday's shave was with a Feather blade which had been used for 2 days in my ASD2. Today's shave was with a fresh Polsilver SI, which is usually my favourite blade.

Personally, I love the weight. Of course the build is superb, and the design is really gorgeous. I generally like shorter handles, so it was fine with me on this front as well.

I was expecting it to shave a bit like my ASD2, as it's meant to be quite mild, so I'd been having a few practice shaves with the Feather razor beforehand. My technique has improved a lot since I bought the ASD2, and I was really surprised to find I could get a closer shave with the ASD2 than even with my Wolfman OC. Not something you usually read!

So, on to the Hone. Well the shave is definitely comfortable. No nicks, no cuts, no problems, but I don't generally cut myself these days, apart from abortive attempts to use a Feather Artist Club. Both shaves ended up being 4 pass. On both occasions, I was disappointed with the amount of beard reduction on each pass. I *thought* I was getting really good feedback from the sound of the blade, as to whether I had the angle right, but based on my results, I can only say that I must surely need more practice. I have patches of my face which aren't really shaved as close as they should be. I do however have patches of my face which are pretty smooth, so I reckon it's technique.

I will persevere, because I love the razor as an object, and really want it to work well. I plan to use it as my daily razor until the Blackbird arrives.

On a side note, does anyone else find they think they got a BBS, and then apply the balm and realise it's not actually that close after all?

I've got a decent number of shaves with the Hone under my belt now. My potted summary is as follows:

Flawless build
Heavy but lovely
Almost impossible to cut yourself
Incredibly comfortable shaves with no burn
Head a little large for under the nose
Wonderful shave if I do 4 passes, anything less is not BBS

Ultimately, I'm aware that this is beard "reduction" not beard "elimination". I'm under no illusions that a 2 pass shave would ever be good enough for me. Then again, I shaved against the grain between nose and mouth today, and this is the only razor I would do that with.

I'm going to go back to Feather blades to see whether they can counter-balance the mildness. Is there a blade that's even sharper than Feather?

Anyway, some sort of black magic has been worked here. If it was possible to get it *slightly* more efficient, I'd probably keep it and sell everything else. As it stands, it won't be my main razor, but an enjoyable one to rotate in.

I can only echo everything in your post Wintoid, other than for me with my very smooth skin, I can achieve as good a shave with the Hone in 3 passes, as I could with a Fatboy on setting 6.

Will be reluctantly passing this one on Monday, but a purchase will be made in the near future.

I've got a decent number of shaves with the Hone under my belt now. My potted summary is as follows:

Flawless build
Heavy but lovely
Almost impossible to cut yourself
Incredibly comfortable shaves with no burn
Head a little large for under the nose
Wonderful shave if I do 4 passes, anything less is not BBS

Ultimately, I'm aware that this is beard "reduction" not beard "elimination". I'm under no illusions that a 2 pass shave would ever be good enough for me. Then again, I shaved against the grain between nose and mouth today, and this is the only razor I would do that with.

I'm going to go back to Feather blades to see whether they can counter-balance the mildness. Is there a blade that's even sharper than Feather?

Anyway, some sort of black magic has been worked here. If it was possible to get it *slightly* more efficient, I'd probably keep it and sell everything else. As it stands, it won't be my main razor, but an enjoyable one to rotate in.
Good review....So what is your main razor that beats this?

Back
Top Bottom