Anyone using a Hone 15 DE razor?

Well it's time to come clean and admit that I have in the last couple of weeks been asking myself,
"Why did you buy the Hone" ??
Ok that made me skip a beat... I'm glad you found a blade combination that works for you, phew. If you have any further thoughts you want to share about your experience or journey in terms of using your Hone I am all ears, I'm here to listen to exactly this feedback.

Last edited:
I don't have, or am likely to buy, a Hone, but am just so impressed with the attention to users' opinions and responses to queries durect from the designes/maker. The thread has been a masterclass in responding to potential buyers. Certainly has roused my admiration.

JohnnyO. o/

Hi JohnnyO, Thank you. Its great to hear comments like this.

@Stacy555 haha Carbon fiber is taking it up a notch... baby steps.

Based on your experiences could you put a finger or a 'feel' to the changes do you think would have helped you find that combination quicker?

I tell you what has just crossed my mind.... The "rough" finish on the Hone that gives it the texture & grip, could this cause the issues that some may be having? I personally love the finish, but I'm just wondering if a polished top cap would help the slip required to get a closer shave for some?

My experience is limited, as I only began DE shaving last Autumn, but I know the combination of Hone and Voskhod worked as I took part in the pass around, had put my favourite blade in your brass beauty and had excellent shaves, as I said I feel the disappointment was self inflicted by lack of technique and use of blades i am unfamiliar with.

I'm sure over the coming months/years I will find other combo's that will work as well or possibly better, but I shall take my time.

I tell you what has just crossed my mind.... The "rough" finish on the Hone that gives it the texture & grip, could this cause the issues that some may be having? I personally love the finish, but I'm just wondering if a polished top cap would help the slip required to get a closer shave for some?

Like this ;)
DSCF1746.jpg

During my prototyping I did a few full mirror polished razors, its an interesting thought... I will dig deeper.

To Hone or not to Hone that is the question. I've read this thread with interest and am thinking of taking the plunge as a different experience to my current arsenal (Cobra, Mongoose, Ikon OSS, Ikon slant, Slim adjustable, Rockwell 6s, EJ89) In my mind due to the mild yet efficient nature puts it in direct competition with Feather AS D2. I don't like vs challenges with razors as everyones experience and technique differs BUT.... if both razors weer at an equal pricepoint, what one would get your money ?

@Holyzeus is selling a Hone
First shave with the Hone. Personna med prep blade and twice mint triple butter from sudsey soapery.
Very, very smooth and mild. Three passes left most of my face BBS but with missed stubble on my top lip. The Hone is similar to my old Futur but set on 1 and holding the blade stiffer. Some more practice required as the large head needs more attention under the nose.
Zero irritation and nice feel but I need some more time with it to get the best of it.
Will try a thinner lathering soap next.

2nd shave. Personna med prep again but with P&B Spitfire. This time was much better. Only problem area was my top lip where again several passes missed stubble. I had the same with the Futur which has a similar head so it's definitely my technique with the large head. Shave lasted a good 18 hours before I started to look shabby again so on a par with ej89 or Ikon OSS
Zero irritation and nice tight post shave feel. I put this down to the heat retention of the brass which is the best of any of my Razors.
Impressive for a 1st gen razor but will need some more dialing in before I'm happy with the results.

2nd shave. Personna med prep again but with P&B Spitfire. This time was much better. Only problem area was my top lip where again several passes missed stubble. I had the same with the Futur which has a similar head so it's definitely my technique with the large head. Shave lasted a good 18 hours before I started to look shabby again so on a par with ej89 or Ikon OSS
Zero irritation and nice tight post shave feel. I put this down to the heat retention of the brass which is the best of any of my Razors.
Impressive for a 1st gen razor but will need some more dialing in before I'm happy with the results.

@Purbeck Thanks for the review, glad you enjoy it :) I would love to hear how you are getting on when your dialed in.

Can you put your finger on what makes the top lip difficult for you? Is it the width, or the thickness of the head? The cap edge thickness? If you could change something to make that more accessible to you know what it might be?

:) Andrew.

Back
Top Bottom