Anyone using a Hone 15 DE razor?

Hi @wintoid really interesting, thanks for experimenting. I would like to hear the comparisons with the feather and no shim. :)

Without the shim, using a Feather blade, I did 4 passes today and it still wasn't completely BBS. So my view is that the shim made a big difference. I think in its default state, the Hone 15 is probably not for me. I am considering whether to sell it, although it's just so damn lovely that it's quite hard to let go of. However, either way, I will be watching the Hone 16 with great interest, especially if it's more efficient.

Without the shim, using a Feather blade, I did 4 passes today and it still wasn't completely BBS. So my view is that the shim made a big difference. I think in its default state, the Hone 15 is probably not for me. I am considering whether to sell it, although it's just so damn lovely that it's quite hard to let go of. However, either way, I will be watching the Hone 16 with great interest, especially if it's more efficient.
@wintoid Thanks for keeping me updated on this, Its good to hear peoples different experiences. If you do decide to pass it on, have the new owner get in touch and I will put a note with the order number to honor the warranty as if they made the original purchase :)

@wintoid Thanks for keeping me updated on this, Its good to hear peoples different experiences. If you do decide to pass it on, have the new owner get in touch and I will put a note with the order number to honor the warranty as if they made the original purchase :)
@Hone thanks Andrew, that's really decent of you. You've been a pleasure to deal with.

@Inhaki thanks for the question :) The initial change from new to used is the biggest. The marks on the surface will naturally fade with use and blend into each other and come and go. For reference here is an image of my personal Type 15. This razor is 1.5+ years old now (this was a prototype) and the visible marks are not what they were 3 months ago even and overall the color is very even and stable now.

DSCF1117-Edit.jpg

I have found a great difference between cleaners and soaps, some brighten the brass, some darken it, others remove water marks, some don't. This is why it is hard to recommend one particular product. A very mild polish will certainly return the brightness to the surface, as well as offering a protective barrier for a while. But I wouldn't recommend a heavy polish, or using lots of pressure. Vinegar is a good place to start perhaps, just mix some with some water 50/50 and place the parts in for a few mins, or you could try some neat vinegar on a cloth and then rinse with water and dry to help reduce/remove the water and soap marks. You can try some light bees wax on the surface to keep it more stable if you like too, it seems quite effective.

It will settle down with use and become much more even, but it will always have some signs of use from now, but this is unique and with more use will start to really amount to something personal. Its perhaps a little cliche, and very much down to your personal choice but I like to think the brass Type 15 will become beautiful, functional, heirloom one day.

Hope that helps?
Andrew.

@Inhaki thanks for the question :) The initial change from new to used is the biggest. The marks on the surface will naturally fade with use and blend into each other and come and go. For reference here is an image of my personal Type 15. This razor is 1.5+ years old now (this was a prototype) and the visible marks are not what they were 3 months ago even and overall the color is very even and stable now.

DSCF1117-Edit.jpg

I have found a great difference between cleaners and soaps, some brighten the brass, some darken it, others remove water marks, some don't. This is why it is hard to recommend one particular product. A very mild polish will certainly return the brightness to the surface, as well as offering a protective barrier for a while. But I wouldn't recommend a heavy polish, or using lots of pressure. Vinegar is a good place to start perhaps, just mix some with some water 50/50 and place the parts in for a few mins, or you could try some neat vinegar on a cloth and then rinse with water and dry to help reduce/remove the water and soap marks. You can try some light bees wax on the surface to keep it more stable if you like too, it seems quite effective.

It will settle down with use and become much more even, but it will always have some signs of use from now, but this is unique and with more use will start to really amount to something personal. Its perhaps a little cliche, and very much down to your personal choice but I like to think the brass Type 15 will become beautiful, functional, heirloom one day.

Hope that helps?
Andrew.

I really like the look of that patina/wear!

Frds, you can hate me, but thats my opinion. Current material soft and aging. Its easy machinable and this is the main reason it was chosen. Desin is at the top, but if it will be done from ss 316L or titanium, you will have endless que of buyers with me in front of it. That would be a game changer, a new wave. As iKon moved to aluminium, Above the tie to brass, Mongoose started aluminium i see it only as decrease of quality for easier making and just cost cuting. As i said, hate me, but deep in your hear you know, its just not premium material, its compromise, and when it comes to compromise you have endless cheaper options. As you can see, iKon prices went down as popularity and market share every year. As they started a compromise game. Thats my message. Still razor design is at the top, my highest respect to creator!
Be assured I don't hate you, but I disagree with you in many regards.
Ikon still make stainless razors, I've not heard of a brass ATT, and the current Mongoose stock at Maggard is all stainless. Ikon are now about to launch another stainless slant, and Mongoose still have a titanium model in prospect.
As for brass and aluminium, you'll find that most old Gillettes are brass, aluminium, combinations etc. Then there are the numerous Bakelite and other plastic razors, like Wardonia, German slants etc. They last long, and command enormous prices in many cases.
Razors have long been workaday cosmetic tools, and it is only recently that they have, in some quarters, become male jewellery or objects of desire akin to Rolex watches.
I'd rather see thousands of people able to buy and enjoy an Ikon 102, even at £40 for a head alone, than only 100 people have that design in stainless or titanium. I expect my aluminium 102 to last 30 years or so, and work as well or better than a precious metal version.
I'd like all my razors to be gold, platinum or Sterling Silver, but that won't be happening too soon. On top of affordability, they'd probably be difficult to use.

Back
Top Bottom