Anyone using a Hone 15 DE razor?

The only question I have is, have you used one ?.
If not then you are missing the point of the use of brass, and assuming (incorrectly) that it is based on price.

It's not the best shave I own, but it's by far the most enjoyable and gentle experience in my rotation.
I never said that razor is bad, it is great, and I realy want to try it :) Just hope creator will make one in ss to :)

I love the weigth and mildness of the Type 15 and the feel of a warm razor when soaked in warm water together with the brush is just nice. There the brass just makes the difference but I agree that this design will work great in other materials too.
Marco

@Inhaki thanks for the question :) The initial change from new to used is the biggest. The marks on the surface will naturally fade with use and blend into each other and come and go. For reference here is an image of my personal Type 15. This razor is 1.5+ years old now (this was a prototype) and the visible marks are not what they were 3 months ago even and overall the color is very even and stable now.

DSCF1117-Edit.jpg

I have found a great difference between cleaners and soaps, some brighten the brass, some darken it, others remove water marks, some don't. This is why it is hard to recommend one particular product. A very mild polish will certainly return the brightness to the surface, as well as offering a protective barrier for a while. But I wouldn't recommend a heavy polish, or using lots of pressure. Vinegar is a good place to start perhaps, just mix some with some water 50/50 and place the parts in for a few mins, or you could try some neat vinegar on a cloth and then rinse with water and dry to help reduce/remove the water and soap marks. You can try some light bees wax on the surface to keep it more stable if you like too, it seems quite effective.

It will settle down with use and become much more even, but it will always have some signs of use from now, but this is unique and with more use will start to really amount to something personal. Its perhaps a little cliche, and very much down to your personal choice but I like to think the brass Type 15 will become beautiful, functional, heirloom one day.

Hope that helps?
Andrew.
Thanks for your answer. I will try to clean the watermarks. Personally I prefer the razor unmarked, though I know that's difficult with this metal.

Any more hints as to what the new developments will be? I'm getting close to buying and the month's nearly up for the discount ... I don't relish buying one and wishing I'd waited a little longer.

@Randomangle I understand :) There wont be a new version for some months. I am looking at new materials, I have samples, but there is still some work to do there I don't have a date yet, and I need to gauge the demand. They will be Type 15 geometry though. Hope that helps?

Just catching up on the earlier discussions too. Thanks for all the opinions :) The traditional shaving market is a tough one, but if one product suited everyone there wouldn't be anything to talk about or any fun trying to make and use new things.

Its good to hear what people want as well as what they don't want.

@Randomangle I understand :) There wont be a new version for some months. I am looking at new materials, I have samples, but there is still some work to do there I don't have a date yet, and I need to gauge the demand. They will be Type 15 geometry though. Hope that helps?

Thanks, it does help as I would only want one in brass as it's the patination aspect which appeals tp me greatly!

Just catching up on the earlier discussions too. Thanks for all the opinions :) The traditional shaving market is a tough one, but if one product suited everyone there wouldn't be anything to talk about or any fun trying to make and use new things.

Its good to hear what people want as well as what they don't want.
If you make it from titanium, it will go straight to the top od the line. Only Wolfman makes full ti razors and has at least 6 months orders ahead. So fully cnc ti hone15 could be like alien artifact out of space, something more than special. I love ti as it light, strong, NO rusting at all and keeps its look for ages, for me this is the only material to go in wet area.

Well it's time to come clean and admit that I have in the last couple of weeks been asking myself,
"Why did you buy the Hone" ??

Because it sure wasn't because its a good shave, it must have been an impulse buy spurred on by the lust for brass !!
Ever since the arrival of my own Hone, I have been trying random blades, using them for one shave and casting them out, muttering the words, "Why will this bloody razor not shave my face" ? quiet enough so the wife won't hear.

Well tonight I loaded up a Voskhod, lets be honest, my go to blade, end result ?? a great shave, smooth finish no tugging in any direction, no sting from alum or AS (cheap and high in alcohol at that).

Just goes to prove the well intentioned and informed advice often given by the veterans of TSR, never give up, there is always a chance that a razor and blade combination that works for "YOU" is just over the horizon.

As for the Hone ?, it's a keeper again.....;)

I'm really still a newbie, so my knowledge is limited as to whats mild and whats not, I just go by if it works it works.
One of the blades I tried was the infamous sharper than a sharp thing Feather, but came away with a really poor end result, and a sore neck.

Someone will give a better answer I'm sure

I don't have, or am likely to buy, a Hone, but am just so impressed with the attention to users' opinions and responses to queries durect from the designes/maker. The thread has been a masterclass in responding to potential buyers. Certainly has roused my admiration.

JohnnyO. o/

Strange that! I found that I could throw pretty much anything in the Hone and get a good shave; I do think it benefits from a sharper blade though, heck even Feathers work in it!

I too had no problems with blades? Then again I think I only used Russian blades so can't really go wrong with them?

I do find it a little hard to swallow if I'd spent that money and couldn't get a good shave? Hopefully it'll come good for you as a nice razor and good results even if a little mild for me.

I've analysed this in the last few hours and my theory is.
Voskhods are my regular blades and seem to work with everything I try them in.
I'm going to put the better shave down to familiarity and confidence, that has made me shave better rather than the Hone.

Back
Top Bottom