Anyone any experience of CJB Kamisori razors?

daz said:
Measure the width including the scales as well please. I might be able to make bush with a flange attached on either side. It would be in two parts, both identical except that one side the hole would just be plain, but the other side would have a thread. Similair to what you would find in a lot of folding knives.
I shall have a play on the lathe and see what I can come up with for you. Will give me some practise for when mine arrives.

Scales are 2mm thick, total thickess of scales is 8mm.

Will have to throw you some blades for the help :)

Having had my CJB for a week or so I have to say that I am still struggling with it a bit - particularly in finding the right angle. I am still finding it quite draggy and on the first shave I had with it I ended up taking the CJB blade out half way and putting the Feather ProGuard from my AC SS in instead which seemed a little less draggy. I managed my first full shave with it the other day but I am still not sure. I suppose that I expected that I would adapt to it as quickly as I did to the Feather but this is not the case although I do find it better to hold for shaving teh left side of my face (I cannot do left hand holding!).

Finally, I am also not overwhelmed by the manufacturing quality. When I took it apart to clean it after my shave, I noticed that there is a slight flaw in the removable piece right at the blade's edge. Now I am absolutely certain that I didn't do this and stainless steel is pretty hard so I think it must be a manufacturing issue. In fact the whole of that edge is quite rough when compared to the body of the razor.

Have a look at the photo below. Could this be contributing to the draggy feeling that I get with this razor but not with the AC SS? It is not the blade because, as mentioned above, I swapped that out.

[attachment=7587]

Thoughts Mark, anyone?

David

Attachments

• IMG_0146-2.jpg
    IMG_0146-2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 68
david i got mine today and it has the exact same chip in the exact same place which i find peculiar. i had a great shave though i can tell the extra sharpness compared to my straights. i have never tried a feather but from what you are saying and my results today i am going to say it is still your technique and it will just get better with experience.

you are not overwhelmed by the manufacture quality? its £30 from korea!!!

having said that. you would think it would be cheaper than an edwin jagger de89

Well I'm not sure whether to be glad or not! I am glad it is my technique but I still don't think that, even for thirty quid, they should be punting out razors with manufacturing faults.

Thank you for putting my mind at rest. I will persevere with this!

David

davidb said:
Well I'm not sure whether to be glad or not! I am glad it is my technique but I still don't think that, even for thirty quid, they should be punting out razors with manufacturing faults.

David

just checked mine and the edge is a little rough but no chips on mine, defo looks like a manufacturing defect but shouldn't affect the shave

Try lying the razor almost flat to your face, I never get any dragging so I would say try adjusting your angle slightly.

@razor quest "£30 from korea!!!" they would be a lot less than that if it wasnt for steep shipping, handling fees and import duty (which made up about 50% of the cost)

Blades arrived today. Thanks Mark.

Can't comment on the actual razor, I'm using a feather AC but with this CJB blade in it.
I'm on shave number 5 or 6 and is still ok. I find this remarkable. DE blades give me 2 shaves, 3 if I'm lucky.

markj113 said:
Try lying the razor almost flat to your face, I never get any dragging so I would say try adjusting your angle slightly.

If anything having too shallow an angle will cause tugging - therefore the advice should be to increase the angle by moving the spine slightly away. With a straight, about two spine widths is recommended. Certainly the example blade I used was sharp enough to cut without tugging so Id guess that Davidb's problem is still technique. Also, a small defect in the casing would not be to blame.

The thing to bear in mind is that a straight edge such as this takes a lot of getting used to - I'm quite happy with a folding straight after over 2 years but a Kamisori is posing me problems again - just in terms of how to hold it properly. You lot are having to learn two skills at once - so don't expect perfect results to begin with.

Thank you Rob and Mark.

I am happy to accept that my technique is the problem and very relieved that the slight flaw is not an issue.

I think the fact that I can get a decent shave with the Feather Artist Club SS and with my Ern Crown & Sword 5/8" straight put me off the scent of adapting my technique to the Kamisori.

My thanks to you both!

David

Well just had my first try with this type of razor with a proguard blade think I should have thought ahead a bit more as its a lot different to plan a route around my face than a de. Got one nick which was removing a scab on edge of cheek and a couple of weepers. Not the cleanest of shaves but wasn't expecting that. Will definitely need a lot more time with this over the next few months

Re: RE: Anyone any experience of CJB Kamisori razors?

markj113 said:
davidb said:

David

just checked mine and the edge is a little rough but no chips on mine, defo looks like a manufacturing defect but shouldn't affect the shave

@razor quest "£30 from korea!!!" they would be a lot less than that if it wasnt for steep shipping, handling fees and import duty (which made up about 50% of the cost)

less than that.

the item costs £5 but at least £15 is just shipping costs. then there is import duty and postage again

Back
Top Bottom