Anyone any experience of CJB Kamisori razors?

UPDATE:

Had the email and tracking info that the razors and blades are now on a plane winging their way from Korea so will be with everyone by the end of the week.

Have also just purchased a nice set of new real carbon fiber scales from France to convert one to a folder :) -

Regarding the Carbon Fibre scales - have you checked that the wedge is wide enough to take the blade so that it doesn't sit too high? Not too much of a problem if it's a bit narrow as you can either make a new wedge and trim it to shape, or even make the existing one wider by gluing some thin material such as a credit card. If you decide to try this - make sure you have the hole in the right place so that the original wedge still fits properly.

I expect the wedge to be too narrow so will will either change it or try and bulk it out a little.

Good idea on chopping up the credit card, ill use the misses one so a double benefit :)

Blades/razors have cleared customs and now with parcel force, waiting for the letter to come through the door (hopefully tomorrow) with the reference code to pay import duty. Ill try my best to collect and ship tomorrow if possible -

converted one to a folder this morning,

The scales were around 1cm too long so chopped the end off and used the excess to make a spacer -

My first ever attempt at something like this but happy with the results -

I hope you don't take this the wrong way Mark but that pivot screw spoils the whole look of the razor and scales, the scales themselves look very nicely suited to the small razor, but you would be better off using some Hart steel replacement bolts, which also include teflon washers for using inside the scales, you should also think about slight counter sinking the head of the bolts for a more professional finish, I will leave you with a link so you can have a gander. http://www.hartsteel.com/catalog/item/7762903/9509125.htm

Jamie.

thanks for the link and appreciate the feedback.

The hole for the pivot is around 4.5mm when you remove the origin handle so i enlarged it slightly to use the post screw with a 6mm inner part.

I'm trying to find something similar but with a smaller head so it flows better.

Just a heads up on the blade which Mark very kindly sent me to try. I have used it exclusively in the CJB with the original formulation Nanny's Soaps. So far I have reached shave 6. I may get another 2 out of it. The blade is still sharp....but in my opinion is less smooth than the Feathers......more similar to the Kai equivalent. As per usual....YMMV.. Definately a good blade at the correct price point.

Well done Mark! Although I agree with Jamie on the pivot screw, just a little too big in my opinion. A 6mm screw is pretty big for this. Can you take an accurate measurement of the hole in the tang/pivot? (digital calipers would be close enough) If you can I can knock up a wee insert for you, just need to know the diameter of the hole you enlarged to, and what size you want the hole to be and I can make something out of a bit of stainless steel for you

Out and about enjoying the sun at the moment, I'll have a check when I get back home and post some measurements.

Thanks for the offer haven't got the skills or tools to do something like that myself.

daz said:
Well done Mark! Although I agree with Jamie on the pivot screw, just a little too big in my opinion. A 6mm screw is pretty big for this. Can you take an accurate measurement of the hole in the tang/pivot? (digital calipers would be close enough) If you can I can knock up a wee insert for you, just need to know the diameter of the hole you enlarged to, and what size you want the hole to be and I can make something out of a bit of stainless steel for you

The hole in the tang is 3mm deep and 6mm diameter, but thinking about it I drilled a 6mm hole in the scales for the post screw too so would also need some kind of washer each side too then use a standard pin or micro bolt to hold it all together, not sure what size they are though.

Teach me to be more patient, as I could have just dropped in the insert and used a standard pin or micro bolt straight off.

Measure the width including the scales as well please. I might be able to make bush with a flange attached on either side. It would be in two parts, both identical except that one side the hole would just be plain, but the other side would have a thread. Similair to what you would find in a lot of folding knives.
I shall have a play on the lathe and see what I can come up with for you. Will give me some practise for when mine arrives.

Back
Top Bottom