What manly things did you do today?

Our minds are absolutely innately gendered. Women are much better at multitasking than men are, for one thing. Men are much better at focusing on one task at a time.

There's other differences too, but those are the most obvious differences. Sure there's a few outliers, but the vast majority of men and women are wired differently than the other sex.

Men will forget, but never forgive, women will forgive, but never forget, is another truism.

Edit: What on earth is being taught in schools and colleges these days?
Nothing, the lazy bastards are always on strike..

Our minds are absolutely innately gendered. Women are much better at multitasking than men are, for one thing. Men are much better at focusing on one task at a time.

There's other differences too, but those are the most obvious differences. Sure there's a few outliers, but the vast majority of men and women are wired differently than the other sex.

Men will forget, but never forgive, women will forgive, but never forget, is another truism.

Edit: What on earth is being taught in schools and colleges these days?

I was mostly building up to a joke, or trying to. But the science is real: https://www.theguardian.com/science...ng-the-myth-of-the-gendered-brain-gina-rippon

There aren't two closely-related types of human, male & female, just one broad spectrum of cognitive abilities & personality traits from which we all inherit our own unique mix and which vary independently of reproductive physiology.

The rest is just relentless social conditioning.

I was mostly building up to a joke, or trying to. But the science is real: https://www.theguardian.com/science...ng-the-myth-of-the-gendered-brain-gina-rippon

There aren't two closely-related types of human, male & female, just one broad spectrum of cognitive abilities & personality traits from which we all inherit our own unique mix and which vary independently of reproductive physiology.

The rest is just relentless social conditioning.
Men go to war and meet their death. Women weep and stay home. Yes, I can see there is no difference.
Just relentless social conditioning. -Why "just"? We are social beings, always have been.
Independent of reproductive physiology? My wife wears a pretty frock because she likes being a woman, not because she is an ovum producer.
I hope I don't seem rude, Stalin and Hitler knew to "get them young", before they develop ideas of their own. You've been Got.
If you read the Guardian then that explains a lot. You know it isn't printed any more, because nobody bought it?

Ah, yes. The one psychologist bucking the trend of established science. Perhaps she's right, and humans are super special and wired differently than every other species on this planet.

John Gardner once said, "human thought has it's bullshit quotient, and human thought about human thought has more than most."

Nothing sells a book better than having a controversial opinion.

Edit: A 2014 Pew Research Survey found that 72% of The Guardian's audience is consistently or primarily liberal, 20% Mixed, and 9% consistently or mostly conservative.

I've noticed that traditional wet shavers tend to be mostly conservative and more self-reliant compared to the average population. Not a factual statement, just a general observation of what I've seen on the forums. We tend to cling to the past and celebrate tradition.

Last edited:
Men go to war and meet their death. Women weep and stay home. Yes, I can see there is no difference.
Just relentless social conditioning. -Why "just"? We are social beings, always have been.
Independent of reproductive physiology? My wife wears a pretty frock because she likes being a woman, not because she is an ovum producer.
I hope I don't seem rude, Stalin and Hitler knew to "get them young", before they develop ideas of their own. You've been Got.
If you read the Guardian then that explains a lot. You know it isn't printed any more, because nobody bought it?

It's not "the Guardian": it's research by Professor Gina Rippon.

A lot of women have been very good at war:
Joan of Arc
Boudicca
Harriet Tubman
The daughters of Kobani
Yolande Beekman SOE (executed in Dachau)
Madeleine Damerment SOE (ditto)
The Night Witches of the Soviet Air Force
A whole bunch of lethal Red Army snipers
etc etc

But you're right we can't just dismiss cultural beliefs. From a scientific standpoint all cultural beliefs & customs are arbitrary in the sense they are invented (the laws of thermodynamics are objectively real; sacred coronation oil is not) but still they are important to people.

It's not "the Guardian": it's research by Professor Gina Rippon.

A lot of women have been very good at war:
Joan of Arc
Boudicca
Harriet Tubman
The daughters of Kobani
Yolande Beekman SOE (executed in Dachau)
Madeleine Damerment SOE (ditto)
The Night Witches of the Soviet Air Force
A whole bunch of lethal Red Army snipers
etc etc
Joan of arc was a terrible commander, and by all rights should have been defeated many times. She was just extraordinarily lucky, or led by God, depending on who you believe.

Boudicca did fight.
Harriet Tubman was not a warrior.
There have been many other warrior women, but they were by far the exception rather than the rule.

As for the others on the list...

"God made men. Sam Colt made them equal."

Had they been born a century or two earlier, they would have participated in battle by being raped and killed by the victors. Most women lack the physical strength to be effective warriors.

Regardless, the vast majority of those women would of rather stayed home and had babies, and cared for the household. They fought because they had to, to defend their homes and families.

Last edited:
She's not a psychologist. Nor a crank. She's a leader in her field.
She IS a psychologist, it even says so in the article. And I didn't call her a crank.

Edit: maybe a doctorate in physiological psychology is different than a doctorate in psychology, what do I know?

Screenshot_2023-05-05-18-22-10-73_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom