What manly things did you do today?

Prior to gas CH, many families in the UK, US and Europe supplemented their coal fires / wood burners with paraffin heaters; they were popular from about 1900 right upto the 1960's. The UK manufactured "Aladdin" was a popular heater during this time. In Japan the majority of homes still use paraffin (kerosene) to heat their homes and domestic water and the technology continues to evolve. Japanese homes, in the main, are not insulated and are built to be drafty (cold winters but hot humid summers) they tend to only heat the room they are in and mostly use kerosene heaters. My understanding is they are also still popular in some US states, although happy to be corrected on this, if not the case now.

medium_item_2163364_aa724126ff.jpg
That's a great bit of history! Thank you.

...My understanding is they are also still popular in some US states, although happy to be corrected on this, if not the case now.
Yes, they are still popular, though not typically used for home heating, unless there is a power outage. You see them used in shops and garages during the wintertime quite often, as wood stoves have fallen out of favor around here.

I bled three of the radiators in my house. It needed to be done, as they were ice-cold and no heat was coming from them, even though my heating was on. That is about the extent of my knowledge of basic, domestic DIY.

This made me feel EXTREMELY "manly", lol.
Did you check to see if the boiler needed to be pressurised afterwards? I'm asking since you mention the fact that your DIY knowledge is limited.

Did you check to see if the boiler needed to be pressurised afterwards? I'm asking since you mention the fact that your DIY knowledge is limited.
Yes, I did. The pressure level on the boiler did go down a bit, but it seems fine. I'm not about to start messing around with it, in any case. I tend to leave things like that alone if I am not familiar with them. I am no gas engineer by any stretch of the imagination, lol.

Split some wood today, enough for about 5 or 6 days burn in winter. That's me now got about 8 cubic metres of fairly tight stacked wood and 16x 25 kg bags of smokeless coal. Chickens were a pain, nearly had to have roast chicken for tea. :eek:
I'm a lumberjack and I'm all right.. etc, etc. :)

Split some wood today,
I'm a lumberjack and I'm all right.. etc, etc. :)
Did you use one of those "grenade" things? They look pretty manly. Although I was slightly disappointed to discover they're just solid metal with no trace of HE inside. OK so it makes it a bit less hazardous twatting one with a geet big mallet but you have to deduct one manliness point for lack of lethality and derring-do.

Did you use one of those "grenade" things? They look pretty manly. Although I was slightly disappointed to discover they're just solid metal with no trace of HE inside. OK so it makes it a bit less hazardous twatting one with a geet big mallet but you have to deduct one manliness point for lack of lethality and derring-do.
Naw, just a big roughneck splitting maul. Don't have to hit the wood hard it splits quite easily. Does not have to be sharp as well.

Back
Top Bottom