What is the best cartridge/disposable razor system of all time?

Today the result is incredible. Shaving only with water.
Perfect. But especially without loss of comfort.
https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/posts/920607/
Toygx7Dm.jpeg

This is the cut left in the sink.
As you can see, there is only water and hair.
XO90QWpm.jpg

Today’s theme is comfort.
https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/posts/921574/
jy6P4Wbm.jpeg

Battle between the young challenger and the champion.
Fusion SkinGuard has been talked about a lot and well.
But I must say, Gillette Labs doesn’t look bad at all.
Full shave in three steps for each, on one side.
After about ten hours the result is perfect.
Frankly I do not notice differences in comfort.
I wouldn’t have bet.
I’m surprised.
Pleasantly.

Slight differences in regrowth, in favor of the new.
Obviously, with more blades.
So more depth.
Not a lot more.

Recently acquired what I believed to be a Gillette Sensor Excel. When it arrived, I now suspect it to be the earlier Sensor from 1990-93. In very good condition. Cosmetically some scratches as would be expected.

In the spirit of pure nostalgia; this model I suspect is the first razor I owned. Progressed to the Mach 3 in the later 90s. I recall owning the razor, but no memory of how it shaved.

Picked up some Excel Sensor blades from the supermarket, and I have been really enjoying the shave. To me the handle is lighter than the Mach 3, and seems a little less grippy. However, it works very well. Enjoying the novelty of two blades ;) Close shave, without any dramas.

I bloody loved the 90's. Cleaned shaved, I may kick back & watch an episode of Friends. If only I could grow my curtains back :ROFLMAO:

IMG_20230518_112511051_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Recently acquired what I believed to be a Gillette Sensor Excel. When it arrived, I believe it to be the earlier Sensor from 1990-93. In very good condition. Cosmetically some scratches as would be expected.

In the spirit of pure nostalgia; this model I suspect is the first razor I owned. Progressed to the Mach 3 in the later 90s. I recall owning the razor, but no memory of how it shaved.

Picked up some Excel Sensor blades from the supermarket, and I have been really enjoying the shave. To me the handle is lighter that the Mach 3, and seems a little less grippy. However, it works very well. Enjoying the novelty of two blades ;) Close shave, without any dramas.

I bloody loved the 90's. Cleaned shaved, I may kick back & watch an episode of Friends. If only I could grow my curtains back :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 105932
Very nice!
I borrowed my dad's Sensor Excel when I started shaving in the mid 90s which was quite similar but I remember it being a lighter grey and having the Excel name on th case nameplate.

I too had curtains but now have a very thin patch through the middle of my head! Weirdly the sides of my head are still very thick with hair so it's curtains for the idea of curtains for me, too!
I am enjoying the Wilkinson Sword II which is another twin blade cartridge razor. Worth a look maybe.

Recently acquired what I believed to be a Gillette Sensor Excel. When it arrived, I now suspect it to be the earlier Sensor from 1990-93. In very good condition. Cosmetically some scratches as would be expected.

Picked up some Excel Sensor blades from the supermarket, and I have been really enjoying the shave. To me the handle is lighter than the Mach 3, and seems a little less grippy. However, it works very well. Enjoying the novelty of two blades ;) Close shave, without any dramas.

View attachment 105932
I had the Sensor Excel and feel bad now to have sold it. That and the Mach 3 are one of the best Gillette cartridge razors ever made.

Not a razor I know at all. I'll do some research!
That might not be the right name for the handle but it is for the cartridges.
The handle I have is a generic (probably supermarket) one which fits the Wilkinson Sword II cartridges. They are slide on likes like the Gillette GII.
Other names may exist at different times and in different markets. I'm trying to piece it all together as best I can!

I can't answer the thread title as I have not tried all cartridges razors made so far, nor have I lived to the end of time, but the best I've tried so far is the Wilkinson Sword II.
I found the Wilkinson Sword Bonded not that close, the Gillette Texhmatic less close still, and quite liked the Supermax SMX-3 which used to show up cheap in Savers although it felt slightly tuggy.
From very long ago memories the Gillette Sensor Excel was pretty good and the Wilkinson Sword FX Diamond not bad but would clog up very quickly.

Hiya,

There's been a few people I know who were using multi multi 4-5 blade carts that are now using a Sensor XL and loving that thing. Much better sightlines for sure, plus a very good shave! Need to pay attention to the angle of attack, which can take a while when starting out. Very close to injectors when it comes to how they shave, which is handy because injectors can be great in the rotation and easily switched over to. For the living on the wild side experience shavers, I'd recommend the Sensor cart without the XL lube strip. To me it's more fun.

Garage sale season starts soon and I will usually ask about any shaving crap on my stops. I've found some older metal handles and blades for almost nothing and the sellers delighted with the deal.

NOS Sensors can be expensive and they are dated like other Gillettes, starting in early 90s I think. I'm guessing a nice handle wouldn't be very pricy, coupled with those regular blades, which are also even cheaper than the XL version.

Hope that helps knock a few readers off the fence,

Martin

I've got one of these now, ischiapp - it is an amazing razor!! One pass, with the grain, and you basically feel like you've been shaved by a barber, it is ridiculous!!

It comes with a beautiful magnetic stand too. I would love one of the gold or neon ones, I just have the default one.

Back
Top Bottom