What is the best cartridge/disposable razor system of all time?

It looks loooooong. Today 4th use.
Perfection can be so boring ...
https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/posts/919040/
gdBH40Jm.jpeg

I found this exploded diagram for the heated Labs razor, but it does show the parts that make up the central ring and how that is tensioned. It looks like much the same mechanism as the Flexball (tension spring and sprung lever) but neatly captured into the body; the Flexball simply has that little rubber skirt covering the mechanism that becomes a bit tatty with use.

Gillette-Labs-Heated-Razor-1.jpg

Last edited:
nice pic....any improvement compared to the Fusion Proglide?
Thanks. For now, nothing relevant.

Exept the lube strip. Here very very slimey.
I'm shaving cold water, to have less. With little results.
I feel it very annoying. I'm thinking to take it off.

As over-all shaving experience, the Power / Flexball technology together I feel better.
And, It's compatible with all the Fusion cartridge range ... as well the SkinGuard. My fav.

As an aside, can i ask for a show of hands on whether the Fusion 5 power handle actually makes for a better shave?

I have just found my old one and am going to give it a run out with a plain Fusion 5 cart, but as i recall i didn't think it made any noticable difference when i bought it originally.

I note that the new Gillette Labs varients don't seem to include a power vibration version.

So have just completed a shave with the Fusion 5 Power handle and a regular (non-power) Fusion 5 cartridge.

Two days growth, so quite sand-paper like. Prepped as normal and used Proraso Green Eucalyptus and Menthol soap.

I did slow and careful short stripes WTG, XTG and ATG, alternating power-on and then power-of as i went. The overall experience bought back memories of when i first bought it and it is interesting that with power-on it definitely makes the shaving "feel" a little smoother, particularly against the grain, BUT ... I am not convinced it is a closer or better shave in any way. After the shave my whole face feels the same.

I suspect the vibration may do something to maybe lift the hairs when going against the grain, as the razor definitely doesn't "dig in" quite as much ATG with the Power on.

However, its a very small difference and the overall shave isnt any "better" IMO.

It was interesting to do a slow and careful cartridge shave, rather than a "shower shave" and to note how the lightweight Flexball head is fantastic around the chin and neckline, but will skip and jump slightly on the tougher hair ATG, whereas a heavier DE will just stay planted on the skin and cut cleanly through the hair.

I have found in the past that my very best shave is to use the DE WTG, XTG and ATG. Then rinse off and use the Fusion Flexball with just water to very lightly tidy-up the really awkward areas under the chin and across the neck. It's a little more involved, but i always get a comfortable BBS this way.

Today I wanted to take this experiment to the extreme.
A simple ultrasound gel, as a lubricant.
A full three-pass cycle with the new Gillette Labs.
https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/posts/920452/
XpXRmHR.png

I must say, I’m more and more surprised.
In the worst possible conditions, the result is excellent.
I took ease and depth for granted.
But not comfort, especially during the day.
I wouldn’t have bet a kopek full of holes.
But there is. Yes, there is.

Back
Top Bottom