What is the best cartridge/disposable razor system of all time?

Fantastic razor especially for head shaver's and as you know really cheap!
Another bonus is the lack of a snot strip on the razor head! :)

Paul.
How can you guys shave without a lubri-moisty-dermo-glide strip that's been specially developed at the Gillette / NASA labs ?? o_O

Makes me shudder to think of just using shave cream and a razor blade ... :D:D

Legends all !!! (y)

I don't use disposables anymore, and haven't done so for many years. I used to buy Gillette Blue II disposables, but I wasn't particularly impressed with them. For me, they sum up everything that I dislike about cheap, disposable razors. I bought my first "proper" Gillette razor soon after that and have used one ever since.

I can't foresee a time when I will ever want to go back to using disposable razors again. They are cheap, sure, but that is their only advantage. I am more than happy with my Mach 3 now. The blades can seem pricey, but they do last for a long time. I have used Gillette razors for most of my adult life now. I have never bought a Wilkinson Sword razor, and probably never will. I can't explain why, but there's something about Wilkinson Sword razors that I dislike.

This is thread is dangerous - being a Gillette fanboy - spent last night reading about Contours, Trac II & Sensors. Thankfully, my eBay account was untouched this morning ;)

Only a matter of time before I end up buying the modern plastic equivalents. Vector, which seems to be the modern Contour razor. The Sensor Excel is now a plastic razor. Both on ebay, and carts available in Boots. Original handles are not cheap!

I can vividly remember when Gillette hung the original Gillette Sensor Razors and a few cartridges on front door handles of many houses within the Uk free of charge, just to get people interested and to start the ball rolling so to speak. It was the very first of the two blade cartridges that I can remember (I may of course be wrong, but that was the first time I was aware of the two blade system) and had a fairly large TV advertising campaign explaining the virtues of the two blade system (the second blade taking off what was left from the 1st pass of the first blade). I wish that they would reintroduce the Sensor cartridge (which as we are aware is more compact then the Excel), but I think this is unlikely.

I can vividly remember when Gillette hung the original Gillette Sensor Razors and a few cartridges on front door handles of many houses within the Uk free of charge, just to get people interested and to start the ball rolling so to speak. It was the very first of the two blade cartridges that I can remember (I may of course be wrong, but that was the first time I was aware of the two blade system) and had a fairly large TV advertising campaign explaining the virtues of the two blade system (the second blade taking off what was left from the 1st pass of the first blade). I wish that they would reintroduce the Sensor cartridge (which as we are aware is more compact then the Excel), but I think this is unlikely.
you can still get some

you can still get some

Do you know what; I still have three packs of 5, but for some unexplained reason I am very reluctant to use them. I suppose it may be that I used to shave every day of the week and they used to last me around one week; now I shave only once every 3 to 4 days; I can therefore spend a little more time on a shave now and find I can get a reasonable shave with what I consider to be an inferior but less expensive cartridge doing two full passes. Still probably doesn't make sense!

Do you know what; I still have three packs of 5, but for some unexplained reason I am very reluctant to use them. I suppose it may be that I used to shave every day of the week and they used to last me around one week; now I shave only once every 3 to 4 days; I can therefore spend a little more time on a shave now and find I can get a reasonable shave with what I consider to be an inferior but less expensive cartridge doing two full passes. Still probably doesn't make sense!
Send them all to me - I'll keep them company ;)

cartridges can last months...I've been shaving with the same one (hydro 5) since August. Just wipe them on a towel against the direction of shaving to remove the excess water. Then 15-20 quick strops against an old pair of jeans. The only thing that worn out quickly is the lubricating strip, but I can do without it just fine.

Yes, the asking prices are insane. I also noticed that most of the listing on the bay goes unsold and relisted for the same astronomical price (same goes for the Mach 3 power). Anyway, I got one of the plastic version that holds the sensor blades. I think mine was called sensor 3 or something. You'll either find these on the bay or amazon mmostly coming from the Asian market. They are the "modern" version of the sensor, therefore will hold the sensor/sensor excel blades.

I am lucky enough to still have the original handle in working condition (though I lost the base where you put the razor and the blisters with blades underneath :( ). Anyway, it's a good razor, but personally, I'm quite upstream here as lately I've found that more blades = quicker and smoother shave. Anyway I still use my Sensor every now and then, and I still enjoy it. To each their own. ;)
I just noticed a Sensor Excel on Fleabay going for £80.
Somebody else was chancing it by asking $15 for just the Gillette Sensor packaging (no razor!) - I'm amazed, is there a hobby market for this sort of thing?

Having just gotten into DE shaving I still have my trusty Gillette Sensor, (and a couple of Gillette Sensor Excels, one unused, tucked away somewhere). Very useful for those awkward under the nose bits when I was starting DE but now starting to gather dust.
Strikes me I could sell now them at a ludicrous price and buy a "flash" new DE. Or, what I really want, a nice vintage 1961 G2 (y)

EDIT: I just checked the orders record on my Amazon account. I bought a Gillette Sensor Excel for £6.75 eight years ago...

Last edited:
Somebody else was chancing it by asking $15 for just the Gillette Sensor packaging (no razor!) - I'm amazed, is there a hobby market for this sort of thing?

Having just gotten into DE shaving I still have my trusty Gillette Sensor, (and a couple of Gillette Sensor Excels, one unused, tucked away somewhere). Very useful for those awkward under the nose bits when I was starting DE but now starting to gather dust.
Strikes me I could sell now them at a ludicrous price and buy a "flash" new DE. Or, what I really want, a nice vintage 1961 G2 (y)

EDIT: I just checked the orders record on my Amazon account. I bought a Gillette Sensor Excel for £6.75 eight years ago...
I really fancy buying an Excel. Was the first razor I owned - but not at any of the prices being asked!

This week I picked up an original NOS Gillette Mach 3 in Cool Blue (late 90's) - fully packaged for £18. I'm chuffed as it's probably my favourite razor ;)

I would be amazed if you would be able to sell at those prices. As I said, the same listings are there gathering dust like your sensor blades. After all, you really have to find someone willing to spend that kind of money for the (superior) aesthetic of the original sensor. But a sensor user, will happily buy the "new" version of the Sensor razor for the Asian market, which can be bought for £10-ish. I would keep the original sensor as it's a vintage razor now anyway :D

Back
Top Bottom