What are you waiting on to arrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This...

I've been looking for an Aristocrat for some time now, but could never get one 'at the right price' and I resolutely refused to pay over the odds - superb razor or not.

Recently however, and whilst under the influence - which fortuitously removed my price constraints, I managed to bag this beauty...

Pretty excited about.....a mug.
But in all fairness a, to me, pretty special mug.
It appears to be the very first Old Spice mug model - the pottery mug w/ The Grand Turk ship made in Hull.
If so that would date it to about 1938-1944 (so earlier than those fancy glass ones that came out in 1948 ).

Sure the mug has a lot of crackling but the colors are really nice I think.

We call that 'crazing'. Looks like you have a couple of hair-line cracks. For it's age, in fantastic condition - what a snag! Congrats!
We call that 'crazing' here in the Colonies as well. A crackle finish is two-toned.

Nice haul though. You don't see them that nice very often. For that matter, you don't see them at all very often.

Thanks, pretty excited about this old thing!
If I understand 'crazing' correctly it's "in" the glace so it should still be smooth to the touch - but I guess I'll find out in person next week.
I guess some wrinkles are allowed when you're 70-something years old.
I hope its stable enough to be used from time to time as I really, really like the look - and history - of it.

Yes, it's in the glaze. Look at your photos and you'll see some dark patches at the base - here water has gone through the crazing and into the clay - not a worry for time to time use. My cats' water dish is crazed and sits there full of water - has done for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.