What are you eating tonight?

GBK burger from Waitrose with Monterrey Jack cheese and ketchup. I really missed my favourite sweetcorn relish. The Hovis premium burger bun was crap. The St Pierre brioche buns are the best, available from Morrisons, followed by the M&S and Tesco brioche buns...

20220212_194056.jpg

20220327_204413.jpg
Well I didn't eat much of this tonight. Just fried up the scraps after breaking down this haunch of roe doe that my rootin tootin rifle shootin buddy kindly gave me. Last time he gave me a steak and I just had to cut it in 2 for me and SWMBO. This time I had to deal with the whole haunch. Never tried doing that before so this is a bit of a learning curve but I got most of the silverskin off, deboned it, got top rump, salmon cut, silverside and topside separated, then cut into steaks, pavé, a roasting joint and some strips for stir frying. Just pan fried the little offcuts for me tea.

View attachment 86138
Well I didn't eat much of this tonight. Just fried up the scraps after breaking down this haunch of roe doe that my rootin tootin rifle shootin buddy kindly gave me. Last time he gave me a steak and I just had to cut it in 2 for me and SWMBO. This time I had to deal with the whole haunch. Never tried doing that before so this is a bit of a learning curve but I got most of the silverskin off, deboned it, got top rump, salmon cut, silverside and topside separated, then cut into steaks, pavé, a roasting joint and some strips for stir frying. Just pan fried the little offcuts for me tea.
Why cant i have friends like that

Wow! That sounds amazing. Barbie King. Love me a pulled pork roll, and you clearly have it down to an art. I need to up my Barby game obviously. Might have to try doing something like that with some of the venison haunch. I've only got one of those 'fake oil drum' barbies though, not a proper smoker.

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do you cook pulled pork on a barbeque, which as I understand it takes around 5 hours to cook. I do manage to cook small joints of chicken, beef etc, but I have really big problems keeping the briquettes (I know perhaps the wrong choice of fuel) going and keeping really hot for even 1½ hours or so. I try to gently introduce them during the cooking time but then the other coals start reducing their heat; it really is a juggling act, which I have never quite mastered!
I thought I was reasonably adventurous cooking small joints, but this is barbequing at a totally higher level!
Any advice would be very greatly received / welcome.

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do you cook pulled pork on a barbeque, which as I understand it takes around 5 hours to cook. I do manage to cook small joints of chicken, beef etc, but I have really big problems keeping the briquettes (I know perhaps the wrong choice of fuel) going and keeping really hot for even 1½ hours or so. I try to gently introduce them during the cooking time but then the other coals start reducing their heat; it really is a juggling act, which I have never quite mastered!
I thought I was reasonably adventurous cooking small joints, but this is barbequing at a totally higher level!
Any advice would be very greatly received / welcome.
Joint?

Some weird Brit thing? How can a breast be a joint?

iceland_butter_basted_chicken_breast_joint_525g_56509.jpg

Me being old fashioned; they used to be called joints of meat, agree not technically correct!!
I usually cook a piece of beef, lamb, pork or a small chicken (or a mixture of these) all on the rotisserie on an open barbeque; if it's windy I some times put a metal dustbin lid over the top to keep the heat in (remember them); all a bit Heath Robinson (remember him).
A lot of people actually do these in the oven first, before putting them on the barbeque, even to my surprise, Jammie Oliver suggested this method, but no; doing them completely on the barbeque from raw to cooked, usually takes me about hour and ½ for the size I use for a couple of us, which usually gives us another meal as well; very small time really!
But none the less would be very grateful and interested on the advice requested in my previous post.

I really fancied Lamb Kofta's this weekend. Unfortunately on Friday, Sainsburys only had Kofta's and no flatbread or Tzatziki. Tonight they had no Kofta's or flatbread but Tzatziki. So Cheese and Tomato on White Bloomer.

20220514_230446.jpg20220514_230030.jpg

That's a sorry state of affairs when it requires 3 trips to the supermarket to get a kebab. I'm spoilt in that there's a Turkish opposite my house. This is a double-edged sword, not dissimilar from the one they use to slice the doner, because it puts temptation in my way daily. But a cheese toasty is not without merit, I had that myself on Friday lunchtime: ham, cheese and tomato between 2 bits of cheapo white bread in the sandwich toaster. Simple yet effective.
Went to Southall for a curry Friday night which was good. Tonight I've basically ate baklava that my Levantine neighbour gave me (the good stuff from Patchi in Park Royal) , and drank beer. Veeeery nutritious. Just don't tell the doc please.

Last edited:
That's a sorry state of affairs when it requires 3 trips to the supermarket to get a kebab. I'm spoilt in that there's a Turkish opposite my house. This is a double-edged sword, not dissimilar from the one they use to slice the doner, because it puts temptation in my way daily. But a cheese toasty is not without merit, I had that myself on Friday lunchtime: ham, cheese and tomato between 2 bits of cheapo white bread in the sandwich toaster. Simple yet effective.
Went to Southall for a curry Friday night which was good. Tonight I've basically ate baklava that my Levantine neighbour gave me (the good stuff from Patchi in Park Royal) , and drank beer. Veeeery nutritious. Just don't tell the doc please.
In March a German Doner restaurant opened in York. I now once a week have a Beef Doner Durum wrap, it's actually better than the usual UK lamb doner. When I lived in the Netherlands, the meat was a very salty veal which was usually translated as baby cow when asked as I do not eat Chicken or Turkey.

Back
Top Bottom