What are you eating tonight?

Had a bash at making dry cure bacon this week, got smoked dry cure mix and a couple of small pork loins.
so easy to do, rub cure mix over pork and put in a ziplok bag for 2 days per inch thickness of meat plus 2 days.
massage bag and turn over every day, remove from bag and put on rack in fridge for 24 hours to equalise.
Had a couple of slices and have to say best bacon I have tasted, no water in pan and no shrinkage of meat.
At £4.30 a kilo instead of about £13 a kilo for dry cure bacon it's a bargain, I will be stocking up with loins. :)(y)

Had a bash at making dry cure bacon this week, got smoked dry cure mix and a couple of small pork loins.
so easy to do, rub cure mix over pork and put in a ziplok bag for 2 days per inch thickness of meat plus 2 days.
massage bag and turn over every day, remove from bag and put on rack in fridge for 24 hours to equalise.
Had a couple of slices and have to say best bacon I have tasted, no water in pan and no shrinkage of meat.
At £4.30 a kilo instead of about £13 a kilo for dry cure bacon it's a bargain, I will be stocking up with loins. :)(y)

Sounds good, I really enjoy a smokey bacon sandwich done to an early crisp with some cooked cherry tomatoes, perfect match of flavours.

Very interesting. Hate all the white gunk which seeps out of most bacon as you cook it :( Once it's all out I usually stop cooking to rinse the pan & meat, then start again.

Or just use prosciutto which is expensive but doesn't contain any goo and tastes fantastic when you crisp it up.

What I'm eating tonight is anything I can get my hands on. Just got back from a trip exploring Skye which finished off with me cycling the 200 miles home (over several days, not all in one go..!) and I've turned into a food hoover.

When you're on the move it's just stuff in calories, calories, calories by any means possible. Donuts. Muffins. Fatty pate spread half-an-inch-thick on bread. Massive pots of pasta with extra cheese. Handfuls of chocolate biscuits. Some roasted nuts. Oatcakes and cheese. Maybe some more cheese. Another chocolate bar.

Cornbread is a good one because it's easy to make on a camping stove and it's basically just a batter fried in deep puddles of fat which soaks into the cornbread.

It's kind of nice to be able to stuff yourself with as much food as you can eat then collapse into a hammock for the night. I'd better return to normal eating habits soon though.

I really fancied Lamb Kofta's this weekend. Unfortunately on Friday, Sainsburys only had Kofta's and no flatbread or Tzatziki. Tonight they had no Kofta's or flatbread but Tzatziki. So Cheese and Tomato on White Bloomer.
Finally having Lamb Kofta's. They taste nicer than they look, especially with a nice cold regular Coke. Unfortunately Sainsburys don't sell individual Red onions, I may head to the market tomorrow...

20220530_121025.jpg

View attachment 89742
A ridiculously large masala dosa and the other thing in the bowl which I scoffed before the dosa arrived was chicken kothu parotha, which is like shredded flatbread stirred up with spicy chicken and some curry leaves. A no-frills cafe in Slough but somehow if you want South Indian there's not as much choice, but it's the real deal and cheap as chips.

Looks great!

I made some kind of chicken stew, with the following ingredients. Chicken Legs, red onion, cubed potato, whole garlic, 2 types of chili powder, harissa paste, tomato paste, turmeric, coriander, cumin, lime juice, salt.

Aside from the chicken legs, I randomly pulled out things from my fridge/spice racks, then put them in a tray in the oven, and it turned out a lot better than I expected.

Back
Top Bottom