Used Kamisori buying advice.

Both are tamahagane, I remember seeing this kanji often, bat didn't put it in my kamisori maker list don't know why.
You will certainly enjoy, keep us updated.

Brilliant, thanks. I thought it was. I never thought I'd be learning Japanese kanji through this hobby but I'm glad the many hours I've spent drooling over Kamisori have paid off.

I'll keep you updated, don't worry - when I get my hands on these you won't be able to shut me up! :D

Sound! Yeah, there's enough meat on those left to hone up good ...

If you check out the 4th picture in, the back, see the lines at the edges of the razor? Once they start to meet, the razor is done. They're miles apart and should hone up fine.

Ah yes, when the hone-wear on the shoulder meets the bevel and it loses its concaveness? I was a bit worried about that, especially since there's no "end-on" picture showing the hollow grinds, but since I could still see a good amount of the grind marks in between the worn areas like you say, I guessed they should be ok.

Good catch! Enjoy!

Thanks Bechet. How are you getting on with yours?

Resurrecting this old thread, I've been half contemplating getting my grubby mitts on a traditional kamisori. I've tried searching around for reliable suppliers but I've come up blank, barring the usual ebay efforts but I tend to be wary if I'm unfamiliar. This was a previous recommendation:

But seems to be out of action, or at the very least is out of stock of anything, though I have dropped him a line anyway.

Now usually I would jump headlong into things and just go nuts but in this instance I'm not willing to go crazy and start forking out wads of cash.

So to that end, is anyone aware of any reliable suppliers that are still in action and aren't asking for the earth? (used isn't a prerequisite of course)

Last edited:
I bought one of his new kamisoris a couple of years ago which he makes himself, but it wouldn't take an edge. So I couldn't recommend him.

I bought one of his new kamisoris a couple of years ago which he makes himself, but it wouldn't take an edge. So I couldn't recommend him.
He might be out of action anyway based on his stock levels across the board, but advice taken on those made by him. I was probably looking more at NOS stock or recommended manufacturer for new.

Can any Kamarisori users give me any advice about buying a used Kamisori? I've seen a few for sale quite reasonably (<£50) but don't really know what I'm looking at.

Can anyone recommend (preferably from experience) a reputable source of used Kamisori or failing that, what to look out for or avoid?

Many thanks in advance.
Get yourself a new Iswsaki Kamisori from Japan for best price, will last you a lifetime. Made by the top Kamisori in Japan (traditional)

Paul.

Paul.,

Well, received this. Looks in good nick. Strong magnetic base. Needs an edge refresh.
Should I 'wrap' it? What sort of cord?

n5ttIA5.jpg

Well, McGuyver Alert! Butcher string, waxed. I knew all that Fly Tying practice would come up handy one day. That'll be enough to give me a good grip on it when trying it!
I'm not sure it'll hold forever, the handle being thinner at one end measn the thing will want to slide down. Unless I add glue (meh)
JprG2Id.jpg

Well, received this. Looks in good nick. Strong magnetic base. Needs an edge refresh.
Should I 'wrap' it? What sort of cord?

n5ttIA5.jpg

You would not want to drop that with slippery soapy fingers!

For a quick fix, you could slip some heat shrink onto it ... perhaps in keeping with its modern looks. I've done just that with clear shrink onto vintage DE handles and onto my Kamisori (shaped from a medical microtome) which has a lovely (although slippery) wooden handle:

vaP_jDvKzYByObDk57ntaC-jmbc_GCl0dI3ZTMixRwvnnrHlZp4520gukVvNj-kyYMK_m9Y1-2EpvOYuaQu5jcCEcSrTmuZs5K0cU9DvMQna83mIGncLUZwxAVFLTy4UwsSGVS-uVdRsbnCDBCtUFOL3mUI4jcYogNHnvPZYexN-e_gIWGnRkyZAVweUJp9uxsFgZagUClP5NjSgoc1UHbgI3qEQA6EqAgvlp2gppYOsnFEVtXsl8ylgaRxI40IDKWGmd0pb9v_0O3T9p9t8ckSrHG4Y61We1E0QO0ZaIc041HL5udDj_ahg73roRVvaDpBxxtIxRKGzc-zzzv_INcGkmyIrCWbPdp5UxoiJAU_Yre4yBD1lPyFmEDAZ38I4ittOuvWn_RO3WA06ZDcc0tkui_qicfbDCY-RdZEPTFcf2A2wAHD58UJKFfGY-fqGY2lccBofbTrgDSP3D9n82zsFlVrTk5aLVKoYveygyE2kIJWYW8razCex2wCGFCCKLtCiHJcg4oSAUI3Iw3-HBV2cobuo67e80PZTn9Q9caVVv7sL2E47u2k_JUAJvSPI0sp08RQjgyZN8poypGgGuQnS3IHSQzxx57ZvYrSp31Nj2wYaRc70SVxxfIHwkwldrsydILT_Rf0wG8_XGaq-Wuj4VjTRNDvVVgjUKKjnk-qPFrsoxDedPDi-bfDJIqjRmMzrRu2HPq1o4dUsgc47i2PzKcKbpmEjcViviiYELDF4yp_-8BHKWEafOxuyHSIVMvlLgYIF03VqR3JMxXVbsw6yIVfPUCCX-8FFxwocRfWxDoXyH7GvSfjP7pa5MYd4WlyUHl4WyZPqUMaoW7H8E9mWPThqw0DExPC5ZFI9boXiG_SsDfHFHzbAB5u2ROmy4E-N-gL7e0MYeriQku7raDR9eO_JtV2tTXCGA2SYRJ-1v572VDr83aFRzhxiABjV1yiRhLrKBWM2QQ=w1200

... it may take a couple of attempts, just to get the exact length perfect.

I also wrapped it with a shoelace once as a try-out:

6a7xSjrHcbHvqNiL3o6qgJXdWtXskZ4AJbB6pY68fWnBrxIXaM3mTaNMVqtthY8dKTMcRDIA7t80RHY8O3l-T2BHTX54WrM5tfMVm_zM9dXzluCM1s2Qfqnz_4f-1On_TKGFs5_yxn7tezDHtWuDOuDGJvss-NAqw-jnafvJehKs08uEJd_jFbOwSanTTKV7s_NkAbfHvcVx3TxA-2EtDgmN22hWb9j6fo_yyMvDJv03r4wRir_4xnf9JCmjxxFh96NkaD49EbLti7YlEH44_Ecn8m5S41hQ6oGN4poFcXFtoYR0FCou84g1u4CYIj48RKyESWr6sZVExZNI-QiUXElYQxC1gVy-atjHrcWFDLPGXHWPPCGCecKFr7C_GGdhz9pWSY4ZlUKa664O4L7TYVNvzj29w1zytScODmFcb5Rwmd-CDDy1KeqnPJh6VvCfPIoGCEn_IJODLZhCp0fdtoBmKHmNQZJ5MhucJhoKs5Fd-Y9cTuWAPdcJqtAThFB5uuqkOQSpQd6SY88gmThCcvraXVBToPcSBUHnqKFLVPbKFyTCIN7V3IVR_ewU2k5zyFV5JWgNcgjjKECz-CDh5T9G6hJFWx-FTblXoKm-dAh7ebP4l0TZlTMjD-7v-HRW98ydIO72Uv0Z26u9iwrVqPa1zbVhDgZ3lskQq8DOafMs_Lih9UCYfdcl1R0TotlSnSvHVbt-2DI-EU-htsXmO4OZ-z4fwHycDj3A-8UIbUj9GouHjXbhHwHYGQh7DX4IytSrBhUnMSzvaDzA1rRot6Fr-FXnSxXgeIY=w1200

HG2YbsF3bTM9A3hpG0_oBwno3pDhQN2ruRkomQQVIGlNlGsndpABC5D0GHwhjZ6XIiKDqw12hpVnh6D5y1BMpb0fIyymTb9Vf6sg5pugzMNXsq5-DB1QAB4NLlJd_hni0LWPLRhjRTNQmeIZ5TD10F1PC88AP54Zd3OoiMlBAQXNfZiossVOXSTUH5r35rhTeTKIB2NFvt89vMixrD2XRqomcFP6e4d0-v8mg2Hmgt1sDEstcCL3xKvm3bieHEjRCvcjMlPqzWKFQXcv6w5pasVTiOO0txd-7TE2FpluWB7z4mH3tWyL0XAocm_fzHNJ-Zk3QoAD9N_Gkhj8oaSUNJeKORQ0Hv2v-QbiwMr7SmQvBHqghWE6I_1Ryly9_r5Kho9mMd7ZqHzYBwbNujdO7iI5ISh8ZE5sAYzcChQ2j8TBh_C4K-yZsbTmu66K49APSpCifhtoGqZPgTd7u1BuuXNsCb-KLFLWHTDKFxvrSHVm9MogxRERgkKl6VzKrnQ0WjurAJzfHbT_c0qx00Kgajs9TB22btEu9AZzkkHZ2k_KmmE1mY82EvjYQKaPkc5u4dIXWZgIpZ-T7_4ne_CfT0ogh0rSj2qPF6m2AXi-xCv_-w_4ru_54P5Ca_j1DnMtwEiM5xd4Zrv7XAhlj3FN-fCZqPH2tkcmMMz2zglshEksFbt1h0gk-Ynhza1BO1MAPU7qQlYCTR4ZzOlyHzzMKdyX0JbNf08JC3hBL6f4pIao4Q76Oz85oR3S48VwI9F4SfA2FhXqpLsvAS6fYYZ5-X57t2J3kwB8WVPG0Bm-8onLbyvy7120vPHHgtq-paLiKDnTRz68pS_b9SS7jmcPgrEeOFGpMfu8-hYUh5DeMua7MfltudgmzJVH6McSYuAR0Hck8PxqJofPweeuq5PZ0sjQs0rGijfmJUD4v_dY72emDOJHhW_j1wYRTVAGMiGZNSDWlJvYRT3X0A=w1200

... which might give you an idea of how it is started and finished if you decide to wrap it traditionally.

Either way, lovely razor! You must be very pleased! Enjoy! I'll look out for it in SOTD.

Well, McGuyver Alert! Butcher string, waxed. I knew all that Fly Tying practice would come up handy one day. That'll be enough to give me a good grip on it when trying it!
I'm not sure it'll hold forever, the handle being thinner at one end measn the thing will want to slide down. Unless I add glue (meh)
JprG2Id.jpg
That looks great, if you decide to go for the leather boot lace idea soak the leather for a while and then wrap it around and as the leather dries it will shrink and really grip on, just a thought.

Paul.

JprG2Id.jpg

That'll do just fine. Nice one! Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom