Used Kamisori buying advice.

A £60 Inoue Fujita, which I figured would make a good starting point. If I were younger and still earning, I reckon I could chase kamisoris all the way into the hills and beyond - whether I can learn to shave with one or not. There is just something about them that grabs me - the tradition, the art and the utter craziness of them.

Go for it, Carl.

I've managed five shaves with mine, and still have all of my blood.:D

I am keeping my eyes peeled for another one, and will give it a Red Deer antler handle, maybe a buffalo horn bolster, too.:cool:

Steve.

What is a bolster, Steve? I wonder if it is what I'm looking for - something to protect the edge from everything and me from the edge. Not to be used naked, I got that, especially as I sit on a perch stool to shave. But I mean protection when not in use, obviously - it resides in it's cardboard box at the moment.

I reckon I could chase kamisoris all the way into the hills and beyond - whether I can learn to shave with one or not. There is just something about them that grabs me - the tradition, the art and the utter craziness of them.
I know what you mean Carl.
I couldn't resist. I need to get hold of a strop still when I get a moment.
Then work out the whole stropping thing.
Can't wait.

What is a bolster, Steve? I wonder if it is what I'm looking for - something to protect the edge from everything and me from the edge. Not to be used naked, I got that, especially as I sit on a perch stool to shave. But I mean protection when not in use, obviously - it resides in it's cardboard box at the moment.

Sorry, Carl, a bolster will not help you there.

Here is one of my kitchen knives that I rehandled with Sambur antler, with a buffalo horn bolster.

At the moment, my Kamisori also lives in its cardboard box, by the way.

Steve.

After use I clean mine (kamisori....) and leave it to dry. I wrap it in the Japanese wax (?) paper it arrived in and put it back in its box.

I suppose to do it properly I should bow to it but I have yet to turn totally Japanese ( he says, looking at the the Lexus, Toyota and Mitsubishi on the drive :D- all old before anyone asks!)

I was minding my own business earlier on, when I spotted a pair of old kamisori for sale at a very good price. After looking closer at the pictures, they appear a bit worn but reasonable and I'm pretty sure they have the Tamahagane kanji.

They'll probably need sending off for honing but I now have two kamisori en route. Fantastic, I can't wait to see what they're like.

Oh, brilliant, I am excited for you.
I feel like I have been pacing the corridor outside waiting (not so ) patiently
in anticipation.
I am sure we can expect photos of the new twins upon arrival at home?

I was minding my own business earlier on, when I spotted a pair of old kamisori for sale at a very good price. After looking closer at the pictures, they appear a bit worn but reasonable and I'm pretty sure they have the Tamahagane kanji.

They'll probably need sending off for honing but I now have two kamisori en route. Fantastic, I can't wait to see what they're like.
Nice. Do you have any photo from seller?

Last edited:
Well, based on absolutely zero knowledge, they look cracking. Especially for the price.
Like you say, straight off for a hone I suspect.
It will be interesting to compare the two as well won't it?
Nice. How excited are you?

Well, based on absolutely zero knowledge, they look cracking. Especially for the price.
Like you say, straight off for a hone I suspect.
It will be interesting to compare the two as well won't it?
Nice. How excited are you?

Cheers Grarea.

Oh yes, I'm excited. :D On a scale between Nigel Mansell and Timmy Mallet, I reckon I'm a strong Ainsley Harriot and climbing. :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom