Used Kamisori buying advice.

Can any Kamarisori users give me any advice about buying a used Kamisori? I've seen a few for sale quite reasonably (<£50) but don't really know what I'm looking at.

Can anyone recommend (preferably from experience) a reputable source of used Kamisori or failing that, what to look out for or avoid?

Many thanks in advance.

+1 for the above, only heard good things on here. Will say, the majority of users seem to recommend the wrapped or plastic/rubber handled ones as they are easier to control!

Cheers, I see he offers the option of a rattan wrap on his razors so I'd probably go for that.

I have only used mine a couple of times and I am an absolute complete beginner.
Not sure how valid my knowledge is, but I got mine from there and he seemed helpful.
I am very pleased with what I got.

That's great, thanks Grarea. How are you getting on with it? Any pictures I can drool over? :)

I have only used it a couple of times like I say.
I am a complete and utter novice.
I haven't got as far as the strop yet. Been a bit busy.

I love it though. Brilliant fun. I had a few goes with the Feather SS non-folding first and was pulling the blade further out all the time. So I just pulled the trigger. (It stopped the continuous saliva dribble ruining keyboards)
I was a little surprised by its size. It was sort of 20% bigger than I expected.
Not sure how it will get under the schnoz, but I am sure that I will work it out. (eventually)

IMGP6016.jpg
I am pretty sure that he wraps them as well, but I fancied playing myself.

I have only used it a couple of times like I say.
I am a complete and utter novice.
I haven't got as far as the strop yet. Been a bit busy.

I love it though. Brilliant fun. I had a few goes with the Feather SS non-folding first and was pulling the blade further out all the time. So I just pulled the trigger. (It stopped the continuous saliva dribble ruining keyboards)
I was a little surprised by its size. It was sort of 20% bigger than I expected.
Not sure how it will get under the schnoz, but I am sure that I will work it out. (eventually)

View attachment 16576
I am pretty sure that he wraps them as well, but I fancied playing myself.

That's a beautiful razor, you must be over the moon with it.

yep tony is a good chap to deal with bought a kamisori with scales couple weeks ago proper shave ready
been using straights for over five years but fund it a bi tricky on the left side of me throat cos it is a r hander
although you can use both hands im just trying to be traditional also i find there aint a lot of feed back if you use hollow ground razors as these are a fairly heavy grind still nice to use and the history of how they came to be

Damn it! I've just been through a minor sideline in kamisori razors. My experience is, they're all blooming good as long as they're sharp. The metal on the cutting edge is quite soft and hones up really easily. You can get new, you can get really well used and heavily honed, but if the omote has not met in the middle ... it's good to hone and good to shave.

Fun! Consider also microtome razors, which are medical/pathology grade western straights.

If you're not up to honing, go with the links mentioned and get in one already honed (and wrapped). You can learn wrapping. You can also use silicone hone (like for car vac hose) to give a grippy and round handle.

Good info, cheers @pjgh.

No hones unfortunately so I'll be looking for as shave-ready a razor as possible. At some point I'll look into a hone to maintain the razor, but at this stage a full set of hones for restoration work is a very long way off.

I've seen quite a few Kamisori for sale that look like a lot of the blade has worn away. Is this what you mean by the omote meeting in the middle, or that the edge has been symmetrically honed?

Back
Top Bottom