Used Kamisori buying advice.

Can any Kamarisori users give me any advice about buying a used Kamisori? I've seen a few for sale quite reasonably (<£50) but don't really know what I'm looking at.

Can anyone recommend (preferably from experience) a reputable source of used Kamisori or failing that, what to look out for or avoid?

Many thanks in advance.
This Guy here from the USA Sells a lot of so called Shave Ready Kamisori razors...Remember you have to strop them before & after every use..You are looking for a clean & sharpened edge like these ones wherever you get one..o_O

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Henkotsu-...072022?hash=item3f59e44616:g:FhEAAOSwSdZWhF1b

Billy

Last edited:
Thanks @Fergiebilly. I've seen his auctions and thought they looked decent, with nice looking edges (to my untrained eye, at least). A quick Google search of his username indicates that he sells good razors so that's another source with potential.

I've seen quite a few Kamisori for sale that look like a lot of the blade has worn away. Is this what you mean by the omote meeting in the middle, or that the edge has been symmetrically honed?

Yes, the curved side will have excessive wear at the blade edge and spine, some even meeting ... as in it's now actually flat on the omote. The cheaper ones will show this wear. The good thing is, these razors can still be good right up to the bitter end.

In your shoes, I'd buy in from a known good seller like http://www.japanese-razor.com ... about the £50 mark does seem to get you something that does not look too worn and will gi

Using tape when honing will avoid the Omote problem referred to and also help keep a small bevel on the other side.

Bear in mind that if the wear is excessive on the Omote side it makes honing very difficult because the blade wants to stick to the hone.

Buying from the US is in my opinion for the more experienced user who can hone their own blades. My reason being, if there is any problem with the item trying to get it rectified is both time consuming and costly. Of course this is only my experience and you may well have a perfect transaction, but any negative results and long waits can effect your thoughts on the whole thing!

Many pictures give no reference for scale - you should be aware that these razors really are quite small. The cutting edge is often only 40-45mm in length. Compare that to my Klas Tornblom, which is a small straight and has a cutting edge of 70mm.

Many pictures give no reference for scale - you should be aware that these razors really are quite small. The cutting edge is often only 40-45mm in length. Compare that to my Klas Tornblom, which is a small straight and has a cutting edge of 70mm.

Yes, cheers Paul - I've seen a few "in the hand" so appreciate their small size. I've been hypnotised by a particular Kamisori honing video on YouTube. It's over 30 minutes long and I must have watched it half a dozen times at least. o_O:oops::D

It's this one:

I don't believe this. There is an old slate mine only a few miles from where I live, whose slate is quite well known for making hones! I can actually see the mountain range from the house and I go walking there quite often. Looks like I'll be making my first hone, from Llyn Melynllyn slate. :)

All those times I've walked around there over the years and had no idea what was right under my nose. I don't believe in fate and what not but my flabber is well and truly ghasted. o_O

Last edited:
Haha! Beauty! :D

Ha, I know - still can't believe it. :D

Oh nice one.
You going to be out looking for flat rocks?

I'll have a look around the next time I'm up that way and see what's around. Also, I have an elderly uncle who was a slate miner (then manager, then ran his own mine) for all of his working life, as was his father (my grandfather) and, come to think of it, his father aswell. What he doesn't know about slate, particularly North Wales slate, isn't worth knowing and the next time I see him I'll ask for his opinion and advice. :)

That's a lovely razor, @NOTSHARP. Like I said in your other thread, Kamisori pictures should be banned until I get one. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom