Things you don't see anymore

I remember lots of girls wearing ripped jeans. Not quite so many wearing them halfway down their peaches though! Mustn't grumble!
My point exactly. Yes, girls did wear ripped jeans and still do, but you never saw them flashing their underwear like the boys did, lol. They clearly had more respect for themselves than the boys did. Either that, or they knew what twats the boys looked and they had no intention of copying them, lol.

Having seen the supermarkets stack up with Xmas gift sets - made me think - not seen soap on a rope since probably the 80's :D

I recall they were bloody everywhere, and my gran went through a phase of making sure I had a good stock for Christmas and my birthday. If I could be bothered looking on Etsy, I'm guessing that they are an artisan product now!!!
I don't even remember seeing soap on a rope in the 80s, either, lol.

My paternal grandmother was exactly the same. I could always predict what she would buy me every year at Christmas, and I was always right. It was either soap on a rope, Lynx Africa sets or, if I was really unlucky, bloody socks. By the time she died, I must have had more pairs of socks than any clothes shop in my town, lol. In fact, I think I could easily have opened my own sock shop. I would certainly have had enough stock to do it, lol.

I always pretended that I was grateful, because I had to, and I didn't want to hurt her feelings. After all, she was an old lady. But, part of me thought, every year..."oh no, not bloody socks/soap on a rope/Lynx Africa again", lol...

I also find ripped jeans hard to fathom, I mean, I go out of my way to find well fitting evenly dyed indigo. Obviously it's a matter of subjective taste. But somehow I would rather see people in ripped jeans than grey trackie bottoms.

The thing that really blows my mind is those who go about with jeans 2 sizes too big and no belt! Literally you can see their whole butt under whatever skanks they have on underneath. I realise it's some sort of sign of trying to be badass but it looks so ridiculous they just look sadass. Firstly, are they not embarrassed? And assuming that is no, then honestly if they're really hardened g-men, just how practical and tactical is it to chase after or run from an enemy with your hilarious buffoon pants round your ankles?!
A friend of mine who always says what's on his mind came across one of these youths in a supermarket and the youth had his jeans loose enough to show off his light pink boxer type shorts and my friend said to him, you don't care do you, the youth said what's up, my friend said you can see the skid marks in your shorts you dirty bast@#€ whereupon the youth quickly pulled his jeans up and was looking proper embarrassed! :)Screenshot_20221102-224550~2.png

Paul.

I don't even remember seeing soap on a rope in the 80s, either, lol.

My paternal grandmother was exactly the same. I could always predict what she would buy me every year at Christmas, and I was always right. It was either soap on a rope, Lynx Africa sets or, if I was really unlucky, bloody socks. By the time she died, I must have had more pairs of socks than any clothes shop in my town, lol. In fact, I think I could easily have opened my own sock shop. I would certainly have had enough stock to do it, lol.

I always pretended that I was grateful, because I had to, and I didn't want to hurt her feelings. After all, she was an old lady. But, part of me thought, every year..."oh no, not bloody socks/soap on a rope/Lynx Africa again", lol...
Lucky you got anything from your grandmother! When my old gran opened her purse moths flew out!
Remember the one time being taken to see the circus by her when I was young, I say "see" but we were at the very back, behind a supporting column and would have needed binoculars to see anything.

I guess I can't complain too much, 50p was reluctantly presented, for me and my brother to buy ice creams for the three of us!

Gypsies knocking on your door selling clothes pegs and lucky heather.

I remember buying some lucky heather from a gypsy lady in central London. She foresaw great business success ahead for me! My home was repossessed a week later.

I was young and naive in those days, and believed in gypsies' promises, and that banks were my friends.

Last edited:
Gypsies knocking on your door selling clothes pegs and lucky heather.

I remember buying some lucky heather from a gypsy lady in central London. She foresaw great business success ahead for me! My home was repossessed a week later.

I was young and naive in those days, and believed in gypsies' promises, and that banks were my friends.
I can only remember that happening once in my lifetime. My mother sent them away with a few stern words and a flea in their ear, lol.

A very formidable woman, my mother. She still is.

Metal hubcaps on cars, those were the days!

One of my SAAB 900s (1985 model) had metal plate hubcaps, which felt ever-so luxurious. I did wonder what it would sound like if one came off while driving, but it never happend.

These glorious things:

Radkappen1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom