Things you don't see anymore

I remember postmen in grey uniforms, complete with peaked cap. Nowadays, it's shorts. Which I suppose makes sense in the hotter weather. But there was a dignity and pride in that old uniform.
All of the postmen that I see wear shorts now, even in the middle of winter. I've even seem them in shorts when there has been snow or heavy rain. It does make me wonder whether they are standard uniform now. Strangely, though, none of the lady posties that I see ever wear them....

I respect anyone who can wear shorts year round in the UK!

postman pat GIF
I'm sure that there are plenty of people who wear shorts all year round in the UK. I've seen plenty of them in my town in shorts, so I know it's true. It does seem to be predominantly men who wear shorts all year round, though, for some reason....

It does make me think, though....don't they feel the cold at all? Why do they need to have cool legs in all weathers? Some of them don't seem to own any trousers or jeans. I always used to associate shorts with being on holiday or in warm weather. That doesn't seem to be the case with some men now, though.

My elderly mother has a saying..."where there's no sense, there's no feeling". I am beginning to think she may have a point.

I suppose if you're a postie and you're walking the equivalent of a marathon every day with a bag on your shoulder, you may indeed not be cold even when ambient temperature is lower than most people find comfortable. They're exerting themselves and constantly on the move burning calories so they're probably warm enough in shorts unless it's raining. I'm not a postie but I do know one so I guess I could ask him. I am also one of those who don't really feel the cold until its too late. I'm happy in short sleeves and shorts for most of the time, although once I do realise I'm cold then I'm shivering for hours!

I'm sure that there are plenty of people who wear shorts all year round in the UK. I've seen plenty of them in my town in shorts, so I know it's true. It does seem to be predominantly men who wear shorts all year round, though, for some reason....

It does make me think, though....don't they feel the cold at all? Why do they need to have cool legs in all weathers? Some of them don't seem to own any trousers or jeans. I always used to associate shorts with being on holiday or in warm weather. That doesn't seem to be the case with some men now, though.

My elderly mother has a saying..."where there's no sense, there's no feeling". I am beginning to think she may have a point.
1665655401536.jpeg

Kumquats
Egyptian Star Fruits

Well not so much in the UK anyway :(

Not fair... used to love a Kumquat or two.
And if you've never tasted an Egyptian Star Fruit...... well let me tell ya its kinda indescribable what it tastes like.

Skin on coffee....

Day off, taken the kids to the coast for the day. Random thought popped into my head. When I was a kid and my folks always took coffee in a flask on a day out...after a few moments there would be a really thin layer of skin.

Where's that gone? Was it real for anyone else? Am I imagining this :rolleyes:

If not, where's it gone? Is the milk we use different......

Last edited:
Skin on coffee....

Day off, taken the kids to the coast for the day. Random thought popped into my heard. When I was a kid and my folks always took coffee in a flask on a day out...after a few moments there would be a really thin layer of skin.

The milk we use today is different - it's homogenised, so that fat content can be guarenteed.

As it happens, I enjoy a Masala Chai some days and using hot milk I still get a skin on. Even with heavily engineered milk like BOB or Cravendale.

Skin on coffee....

Day off, taken the kids to the coast for the day. Random thought popped into my heard. When I was a kid and my folks always took coffee in a flask on a day out...after a few moments there would be a really thin layer of skin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_skin
It's to do with the milk protein denaturation and evaporation. I remember those days as a child and used to (still do) hate the milk skin. Luckily with the help of a milk frother skin formation process is avoided. Happy days!

Kids wearing anything other than jogging bottoms or leggings. In my best Peter Kaye impersonation,”What’s all that about?”
They seem to be standard uniform for teenagers and young people these days. You very rarely see kids wearing jeans now...unless they're those horrible, bloody ripped-to-shreds things that look as though they've been through a combine harvester. I have never wore ripped jeans in my life, and I never would because I simply don't like them. They leave very little to the imagination, and you can almost see the wearer's underwear. I just don't understand why anyone would choose to buy jeans that have more holes in than the ones they were were wearing before.

Back
Top Bottom