Things you don't see anymore

In the event of a major blackout, the boredom from lack of internet would kill me. I might have to put my shoes on and go play outside!
You'll be lucky. If a major blackout should occur, there wouldn't be any street lighting on outside. So, you'd need a torch if you are intending to go and "play outside", lol.

Televisions in a wooden cabinet and radiograms.

View attachment 93753

Barbers that have Readers Digest magazine for the one hour wait and sell johnies.

(Spell check did its best to change that to Johns Ices)
My late grandparents used to have one of those things in the photo. They used to call it a "music centre" for some reason. They also had a TV inside a cabinet. I haven't seen them in anyone elses' homes since then.

My barbers' just have newspapers and other assorted magazines to read now. I don't bother with them, because I have the patience to just sit and wait. Fortunately, my barber is very efficient and quick, and he never takes that long. He has old posters on the wall of the shop, advertising Gillette blades and Brylcreem, amongst other things. He has never sold "johnnies", but I think that I am too young to remember the "something for the weekend" days, lol.

You don't now see the aerosol cans of fake spray snow that you used to get for Xmas window decorating (the other thread about supermarkets already flogging Xmas Tat was what made me think of it )

.... Or the wooden boxes of dates that used to be sold in the run up to Xmas ( its one of the few things my Dad got really giddy about - his Xmas box of dates)

... Or the wooden boxes of dates that used to be sold in the run up to Xmas ( its one of the few things my Dad got really giddy about - his Xmas box of dates)

I know I certainly do!

This does still happen but it cheapens every year. During lockdown, the Christmas dates were somehow more special - a real treat in the middle of all that and a real celebration of simpler times.

You don't now see the aerosol cans of fake spray snow that you used to get for Xmas window decorating (the other thread about supermarkets already flogging Xmas Tat was what made me think of it )

.... Or the wooden boxes of dates that used to be sold in the run up to Xmas ( its one of the few things my Dad got really giddy about - his Xmas box of dates)
Yes, dates in wooden boxes are fabulous, that is a a Christmas staple in my book.

Back
Top Bottom