Straight Razor Shave of the Day

Tue 10 SR SOTD
Razor Torrey 5/8 Wedgie
This shave with the small razor was surprisingly and unexpectedly great!! Having just put the razor through the pasted balsa progression exactly as per advice...wow...the edge was keen yet smooth and very comfortably maneuverable, especially around the lips area. 3passes for a between bbs/dfs/ccs finish. Finally, an efficient result with an SR! I really enjoyed using this Torrey!!
20210810_134526.jpg

Second shave with the new RigaRazor..

It's only my second SR so I don't have much else, other than my Ralf Aust to compare it to..
The Ralf Aust is a 5/8 with a 1/2 hollow grind.
The RigaRazor is a 8/8 with a 1/4 hollow grind..

So despite the obvious size difference this is not the factor that I found to be the most prevalent, it's actually the weight which really struck me..

My 1st shave, yesterday, with the Riga felt a little awkward, the weight made it feel far less nimble BUT the weight also makes the shave feel almost effortless.
I was far more comfortable with tonight's shave as there was no longer the element of surprise and I had a great shave, just one little tiny nick on the neck due to lack of concentration.

Surprisingly I thought that just under the nose/top lip area would have been difficult but not at all, it was actually not more difficult than the Ralf Aust.

It has a slight smile so I will have to read up on the correct method for honing when required..

IMG_20210809_192121.jpg

Nice. I'm tempted to get myself something with a bit of heft for that very reason. I have 2 extra hollow round point 5/8 and my Koraat 14 which is a bellied hollow, and despite the blade width remarkably light. I fancy something like a 7/8 near wedge barber's notch, preferably Sheffield, to mix it up a bit. But I'm trying not to buy too much stuff at the minute.

Wed 11 SR SOTD
Soap Arko Stick
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor Ribbon 1000 1st Use - Thanks to @RussellR5555 !! (including the LeGrolet too)
Aftershave
Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + Aqua Velva Musk
Good lather as usual from the soap!
The razor is a beauty! The shave was good and smooth in 3 passes but somehow my techniques didn't do the razor any justice. Managed a sas finished. The edge felt smooth and it is nicely finished on an Ozuku by Russell. Gotta use this more.
20210811_095447.jpg20210811_101705.jpg

Fri 13 SR SOTD
Razor P Hospital Le Grelot Thiers 1st Use With Special Thanks to @RussellR5555
This razor was a surprise from @RussellR5555! The razor felt really nice in hand and the edge was a wow...very comfortable and surprisingly smooth shave even when I was in a hurry...managed 3passes for satisfactory sas results. A small weeper on the neck because of the haste. I was amazed at how good & easy it felt while maneuvering under the neck...love these vintage razors, wonder what year it was made?
20210812_233536.jpg

Razor Dorko Solingen 7/8 Near Wedge
This shave with the razor after going thru a 2nd pasted balsa stropping was so much better...the edge was keen and yet very smooth. Managed 3passes without any weepers nor irritation for a better efficiency ccs result. It's nice being able to enjoy and get more from this razor.
20210813_234026.jpg20210814_112924.jpg

Back
Top Bottom