SOTD W/C saturday june 2 to friday 8

Sunday:

Mitchell's Wool Fat
Omega silvertip
Muhle R89/Weber Bulldog handle
Red Personna (1)
Pinaud Clubman

Three passes and touch up, BBS results. Nice to use the MWF again, it's been out of my rotation for a bit, not sure why because it's truly great.

Crown & Eagle hollow ground - Mikael's walkabout straight, EJDE89L with Wilkinson Sword (4)
Vulfix 404 bristle & badger
Palmolive stick
RSC balm

Thought I'd see what difference shaving off only a day's growth made to the ease using the Crown& Eagle (past 2 goes with it I had 4 day's growth). Definitely easier. Nonetheless decided to switch to the DE after 1.75 passes when the straight just wouldn't get through ATG under my chin. Honing required it seems.

Sunday 3/6:

Merkur 34C & Feather (#5 and out)
Omega No. 49
L'Occitane Cade
Thann Shiso after shave
Tom Ford Neroli Portofino EdP

0b21fcd0.jpg

Proraso pre/post
Kent BK8
DR Harris- Windsor
Dovo Best Quality 5/8
Merkur 37c (Gillette super thin 2)

Tried face lathering for the first time! Went really well just made me wish my beautiful Kent had a bit more back bone but found the lather to be much slicker. Still attempting straight shaving, haven't had much chance over recent months as I've been to busy to make the time, really struggle on one side of my face more than the other, did one pass WTG and finished with the Slant.

Sunday:

TOBS "shaving shop" cream
Edwin Jagger black badger
Muhle R41
Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow (1)
Ogalalla bay rum lime and peppercorns

After all the R41 chat this week I thought it should have a Sunday run out and to be honest it was a very fun and enjoyable shave. You have to actually shave with it, you can't get away with just running it over your face while your mind goes elsewhere like you can with milder razors. Takes you back to your early days.
It's virtually a straight with 2 edges.

Sunday a rainy cool day but a very nice shave!! New to me open, and back to an old friend: "Palmolive Classic stick" what a fantastic product. Great lather, nice slide, long lasting, manly.
Preshave: Noxzema plus
Razor: George Wostenholm&son Original *True* Razor very nice
Brush: Boar
Alum
AS: Osage Rub. Still feel the menthol!!
Balm: Neutrogena Post Shave
Very nice shave. Razor was excellent . Soap: Palmolive Stick great.
[attachment=4923]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338754566.133331.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338754566.133331.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 17
mattyb240 said:
Proraso pre/post
Kent BK8
DR Harris- Windsor
Dovo Best Quality 5/8
Merkur 37c (Gillette super thin 2)

Tried face lathering for the first time! Went really well just made me wish my beautiful Kent had a bit more back bone but found the lather to be much slicker. Still attempting straight shaving, haven't had much chance over recent months as I've been to busy to make the time, really struggle on one side of my face more than the other, did one pass WTG and finished with the Slant.

Ii
I found using a straight difficult and time consuming to start. The most difficult was the reading what some of these guys doing to ready their razors and their beards. I just sat down one day and thought:"g your grandfather did this every day and you know damn well that he didn't have 6 different Hones from Japan, 7 different razors, 4 strops, and 6 different soaps! Probably had 2 or 3 razors, one hone, one leather that he probably made himself(he was a shoemaker), a brush and a bar of soap!
I started slow. WTG 1st then after I stopped slicing myself up with that I went XTG and now up to ATG . And I still mainly use my dominate hand for the whole face. Just go slow, the muscle memory will come.

Sunday, 3rd June 2012.

This afternoon was a great shave so now my first ever SOTD post - a little overdue but here goes.

Given it's the Queen's 60th anniversary - God Save The Queen btw :)

...I thought I'd try a new blade - Royal fanfare please!!!

Merkur HD 34C
Perma-Sharp Super blade
EJ Super Badger Medium Brush
Palmolive Soap Stick
Boots' Organic Face Wash
Flannel
Clinique M-Lotion moisturiser

Boot's face wash followed by hot flannel soak for just over a minute. Face lathered with soap stick and this is the norm for me now. First ever tryout with the Russian Perma-sharp blade and this is the best blade I have yet come across from memory - so smooth but sharp and forgiving - nice combination. Two small nicks due to a lack of attention but the alum block on face said it was a good shave. Never had an alum test on neck to say the same of course! ;)

BSS shave WTG, XTG and ATG with very minimal touch up - esp around jaw and chin which is rare for me.

Really nice shave with little in the way of bumps/soreness. Hope the Perma-sharp keeps this performance up.

I have posted a few SOTD but without pictures. Finally found out how to get them from my IPad. Fingers crossed

e253c504.jpg

It worked finally

Change of blade from my Canaught sampler so back to my standard set up of AOS. Following Mikaels videos now thining lather more and getting better shaves. Blades ok With a few nicks which is really unusual for me. Not as sharp as Astras my favourite so far.

DFS two pass plus touch up.

Mark

Bulldog moisturiser
Aramis shaving soap
Gillette New open comb (1930s) with PAL Hollow Ground / Star hollow ground
Proraso pre- and post-shave cream

The PAL dragged terribly and was ditched at the end of the first pass (which didn't remove much hair). The Star started draggy but improved and was closer. Ended up after three passes and some very light buffing with a DFS shave and a slightly sore face.
Blades spreadsheet updated.

Back
Top Bottom