SOTD W/C saturday june 2 to friday 8

muhle r41
supermax super platinum
shavemac #25 silvertip
truefitt and hill lavender cream
444/ old spice whitewater AS

very close and smooth shave. a small nick on my neck where i have some scarring, but a overall a very decent shave.

Saturday Morning:

Zuri 1950s soap
Gillette Long Comb New/Weber Bulldog handle
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
TOBS Shaving Shop AS

Not a great shave this morning, BBS but not comfortable. I don't think the lather was up to scratch this morning, too bubbly, my fault. I've used this soap before and it was great.

Tall_Paul said:
the KK is really easy to lather, and is a great perfomer.

Man, you're right about that soap,

Never had a rose soap in my rotation till you sent me a chunk of that lovely stuff. One of the better performers I've tried.

Saturday, 2.vi.2012

Predopobarba Vitos
Semogue LE2011 FB2 #77
Nanny's Silly Soaps Yushu
MÜHLE R101 (2009) + Dovo Fritz-Bracht nº6
Wilkinson Sword
Thayer's Witch Hazel Lemon
Mennen Green Tonic ASL

P1060233.jpg

P1060237.jpg

[attachment=4917]

Saturday!! Cloudy and cool. No rain yet. Tried a new to me straight and a new shave soap. Guess one out or two isn't bad.
Shave Cream: Yardley Elegance Bangalore . Not good. The cream drys very quickly . Started with some lather on and when to make a cup of coffee-wrong started to turn to powder by the time I got done! For an open razor shave wouldn't recommend it.
Razor: New to me- Dubl duck. Satinedge. Nice . A little on the light side but pleasant shave.
Preshave: Noxzema plus
Brush: boar
Alum
AS: Clubman VI Bay Rum
Balm: Lucky Tiger face tonic
Minus the soap a nice shave.

[attachment=4918]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338664093.263219.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338664093.263219.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 32
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338665150.089503.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338665150.089503.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 35
Today, thanks to the kindness of Trainman who sent me a whole load of blades to try, I start tryng to find something that works well for me in my Ikon S3S razor - today we are going to try the Super-max Platinum.

Hot Towel
Ikon S3S
Super-max Platinum
Proraso White (new formula)
Neep #1214 - Aztec - Leopard Skin Jasper
Clinique Post-Shave Soother Beard Control Formula
Penhaligons Sartorial

...and the search is off to a very good start

This evening:

Prep: Hot shower
Razor: Joseph Rodgers "The Favorite", restored by Jamie
Brush: Neep #1059 soapstone chubby 26mm super silvertip
Soap: Prof Blighty's Peppermint
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Yellow Ginger

So, this is my first shave with a traditional straight ever, and my first shave with anything other than the Artist Club since I first picked it up in late October. A certain amount of anticipation and nervousness, and a very reliable soap and brush, then.

First impressions on handling it: the blade is much longer than the AC, the grip between blade and pin much shorter, for a very similar total length. I have to hold it slightly differently for my down/across grip, and more differently for my up grip. Should not be a problem though.

In use: it's much tuggier and catchier than I'm used to; it kind of feels like when I pushed the AC up to 20 or so shaves. I now see why straight shavers talk about lather slickness, something I've not previously needed to care about. People told me a trad straight would be much less sharp than a DE or AC blade, and I guess this is what it feels like. It's a very different sensation, but it's not making me sore like a dead disposable blade would. Blunt (only relatively!) but not buggered. Much less pronounced on the later passes; perhaps a day and a half's growth is not ideal.

Being a little lighter of touch helps. Extra skin stretching doesn't; what I do with the AC seems to be enough.

The extra length causes me to thin the down channels of my mouth-surround beard inadvertently. No bad thing...

I do my usual three passes (down, as left - which is ATG for me - as possible, then up), and feel I need an extra down pass on the neck. That done, I'm comfortable and clean, and actually reasonably close, if less so than normal. No sting from the rinse or aftershave. I never, after the first 30 seconds, felt in any danger of being cut; it was easy and familiar with little differences that never felt like difficulties.

Very enjoyable. Very informative - I feel like I can now endorse the AC as a learning tool for the path to a "real" straight shave. Would I use it daily? Possibly - that depends on how long I find stropping takes, I'll try it tomorrow (thanks Carl!). The AC is so good I couldn't see myself giving it up completely, though.

Many many thanks to Jamie!

Dr Rick said:
This evening:

So, this is my first shave with a traditional straight ever, and my first shave with anything other than the Artist Club since I first picked it up in late October. A certain amount of anticipation and nervousness, and a very reliable soap and brush, then.

First impressions on handling it: the blade is much longer than the AC, the grip between blade and pin much shorter, for a very similar total length. I have to hold it slightly differently for my down/across grip, and more differently for my up grip. Should not be a problem though.

In use: it's much tuggier and catchier than I'm used to; it kind of feels like when I pushed the AC up to 20 or so shaves. I now see why straight shavers talk about lather slickness, something I've not previously needed to care about. People told me a trad straight would be much less sharp than a DE or AC blade, and I guess this is what it feels like. It's a very different sensation, but it's not making me sore like a dead disposable blade would. Blunt (only relatively!) but not buggered. Much less pronounced on the later passes; perhaps a day and a half's growth is not ideal.

Being a little lighter of touch helps. Extra skin stretching doesn't; what I do with the AC seems to be enough.

The extra length causes me to thin the down channels of my mouth-surround beard inadvertently. No bad thing...

I do my usual three passes (down, as left - which is ATG for me - as possible, then up), and feel I need an extra down pass on the neck. That done, I'm comfortable and clean, and actually reasonably close, if less so than normal. No sting from the rinse or aftershave. I never, after the first 30 seconds, felt in any danger of being cut; it was easy and familiar with little differences that never felt like difficulties.

Very enjoyable. Very informative - I feel like I can now endorse the AC as a learning tool for the path to a "real" straight shave. Would I use it daily? Possibly - that depends on how long I find stropping takes, I'll try it tomorrow (thanks Carl!). The AC is so good I couldn't see myself giving it up completely, though.

Well done,nothing like facing your fear :cool:

Good morning friends!

PREP: Proraso Preshave Cream
BRUSH: 27 mm SIMPSON Polo PL10 Best Badger
SOAP/CREAM: Castle Forbes Shaving Cream Levender Essential Oil
SCUTTLE / BOWL: Fitjar Lathering Up Shaving Bowl
RAZOR: 6/8" Le Talisman / PEROUX-COGNET, Thiers
STROP: Kanayama Cordovan #60000
SHAVE: 2 passes, WTG/XTG
AS: Castle Forbes After shave Balm
RESULT: Wonderful shave

SODT_TALISMAN_B-2.jpg

Have a nice day,
Béla​

julian2002 said:
EJ 2012 octagonal handle
Vulfix 404 badger brush.
EJ sandalwood cream and balm

My first ever proper shave...
Lathering was a bit trial and error but got there in the end.
Only shaved WTG but bending my wrist and long strokes are hard habits to break.
2 passes only which left a few furry patches and 2 small nicks under my jawline but I thought I'd stop there rather than push my luck.
Far, far better than my electric razor, very little razor burn.
Overall I enjoyed myself which is a first for shaving.

Good man! Stick with it, and you will find your shaves will only improve.

Pre date code superspeed
Sputnik blade
2213 fido chunky
Tabac stick

A highly scented shave with a razor I've not had out in along time.
My first superspeed and it did a mighty fine job.
Little over adventurous in the atg under the chinny chin chin.
Good results though.
Yrs
Slope

Dr Rick said:
This evening:

Well done Rick, i also think the Feather to be a good learning tool for the next step into traditional straights, but it is certainly different, as you say the Feather as such a high level of sharpness means you have to slightly change your technique, but after using the Feather you do feel quite confident in your own ability to use a traditional straight.

Jamie.

One Planet moisturiser
Trumpers Limes cream
Gillette Fatboy on 7, 4 with Chinese Schick blade
Professor Blighty's Universal Shaving Balsalm, sandalwood

Decent enough. These Chinese Schick blades feel the same as modern German Wilkinson Sword blades. No percentage in getting these over the widely available in the UK, price-wise

A fresh sunday shave!

2vrvrrs.jpg

Veleiro shaving cream + Simpson Duke3 Best + Merkur Futur with Polsilver Iridium + Veleiro after shave lotion with Herbíssimo balm

Unfortunately the blade was "finished" and I had some irritation and bloody nicks... anyway I got a decent shave and alum stone helped me with this issue.

By the way, for those who want a real cooling after shave appart from eucaliptus&menthol scented ones try this Veleiro: really fresh and with a lovely marine scent!

Cheers!

dove soap/hot face cloth prep
Rolls Razor with out a gard (RIP)
Kent BK2 brush
Bluebeards Revenge
Geo.F.Trumper Skin Food to finish

Sods law is still giving me more crap, I took a nice picture to post this morning but the cable that conects the phone with the computer has changed it's mind about wanting to be used and has done a runner.

during my shave with the Rolls Razor the blade allso changed its mind about staying sharp and turned agressive during the last pass , and then the blade decided to brake apart (some how I think the guarantee has expiered some what)
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Back
Top Bottom