SOTD w/c Sat 3 Feb- Fri 9 Mar...

Tuesday

Cobra Classic
Feather Professional Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Arko Stick
Clinique Post Shave Soother

Another spectacular lather from the Arko. I didn't even load any soap onto the brush today, just onto my face.

Just 1 pass with some touch-up. Acceptable, workday shave.

Ian

Tuesday
Hot shower
Wilkinson blue bowl with Omega pro 49 as prep lather
Klar Kabinett with Omega 40652
Ninja Solingen with camel bone scales
Thayers Rose Petal
ARKO Sport a/s cream
Neil Miller beginners strop

First try of my Arisrocrat. Came in very clean condition but I still sterilized and scrubbed some dark marks out the knurling (fortunately just dirt - can't see any plate loss anywhere!)
A luxury shave for a luxury razor;
IMAG0230.jpg

Very near BBS. I save my Bleue Extra NOS for special occasions and this is one. Fantastic.

Tuesday

Prep: Shower
Prep: Hot flannel for a couple of minutes.
Soap: Pamolive Shave Stick (now squished into a bowl)
Brush: Edwin Jagger Best Badger
Razor: Merkur 34c HD
Blade: Gillette Super Thin (1)
Post shave: Professor Blighty - Universal Balsam

First time with this blade. Didn't feel it at all but also didn't get as close a shave as normal. Will try again tomorrow.

TUESDAY 6/3/12.

razor usa star d/e.
blade polsilver.
brush new forest chubby.
soap vitos cream menthol.
pree shave vitos menthol.
post shave vitos balm/moisturiser.
colonge pereja turkish/citrus.

a super shave i love the razor star gives a great shave with every blade.the vitos products ar first class products and finished of with the pereja citrus great.

No pic, but nice shave anyway :)

Otto Busch, Weltmeister razor, Shavemac D01 hair and 23 mm knot, Fitjar Neroli, Floris Santal AS and Neil Miller strops = excellent and very, very clean shaven :D

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

old Marshall Fields badger
'Webly'/Schick Plus Platinum (NOS)
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Malizia vetyver AS
Malizia 'Vetyver' EdT

Same razor/blade combo for this seventh shave. I keep figuring on changing the blade but there's just no reason to. Can't recall getting this many quality shaves from one blade.

BBS results,

Martin

Today was my first shave with Wellboy's Gillette Super Adjustable razor... here are the details:

Hot flannels (no towels small enough)
Proraso pre-shave cream (always)
Proraso shaving cream, Kent BK2 brush

Gillette Super Adjustable (Black Beauty, I think) - setting no. 3, Supermax blade

I made three passes with the Gillette and could still feel lots of stubble. So I made a final ATG pass with my EJ DE89 (Gillette 7 o'clock yellow blade, second use) and was much happier with the result.

Eau de Rochas aftershave
L'oréal balm (unscented)

So, not an auspicious start today, but I read Father Ted's review of the same razor and he mentioned needing to run it at 4 or 5 to get a decent shave. I'll try again tomorrow and crank it up a notch.

I'm particularly looking forwards to tomorrow's shave because the very kind PIF from Tuftey of a sample of Mama Bear's Sea Buckthorn soap arrived today. The test lather I worked up was very promising indeed - I would say creamier than my usual proraso, so I'll look forwards to seeing how it shaves.

ChopperHarris said:
Today was my first shave with Wellboy's Gillette Super Adjustable razor... here are the details:

Hot flannels (no towels small enough)
Proraso pre-shave cream (always)
Proraso shaving cream, Kent BK2 brush

Gillette Super Adjustable (Black Beauty, I think) - setting no. 3, Supermax blade

I made three passes with the Gillette and could still feel lots of stubble. So I made a final ATG pass with my EJ DE89 (Gillette 7 o'clock yellow blade, second use) and was much happier with the result.

Eau de Rochas aftershave
L'oréal balm (unscented)

So, not an auspicious start today, but I read Father Ted's review of the same razor and he mentioned needing to run it at 4 or 5 to get a decent shave. I'll try again tomorrow and crank it up a notch.

I'm particularly looking forwards to tomorrow's shave because the very kind PIF from Tuftey of a sample of Mama Bear's Sea Buckthorn soap arrived today. The test lather I worked up was very promising indeed - I would say creamier than my usual proraso, so I'll look forwards to seeing how it shaves.
Glad it got there ok lets hope its a good mix for you(gutted that i missed the mdc pif oh well:blush:)

ChopperHarris said:

Hi there,

Give the Super at least 3-4 shaves so that you can learn some new technique tweaks that might be needed. After that it'll be easier to define the performance in an informed way. If the only other razor you've tried is an EJ or Merkur, the head on this Gillette might take some getting used to. You also might wanna try a blade assortment of some kind.

Martin

dodgy said:
Hi there,

Give the Super at least 3-4 shaves so that you can learn some new technique tweaks that might be needed. After that it'll be easier to define the performance in an informed way. If the only other razor you've tried is an EJ or Merkur, the head on this Gillette might take some getting used to. You also might wanna try a blade assortment of some kind.

Martin

Definitely! I'm planning on using it for at least a week solidly; I only used the EJ to spruce up a bit. What you say about the head is right though - it's a very different feel to what I'm used to, somehow it doesn't feel as precise, but I'm sure that's just a question of understanding it better.

tuftey said:
Glad it got there ok lets hope its a good mix for you(gutted that i missed the mdc pif oh well:blush:)

Cheers very much for sending it off so quickly! Everything I've read about the MdC seems very enticing, but it seems you pay for it.

TUESDAY EVENING

Aristocrat 21
Gillette Super Stainless (3)
New Forest Super Badger
Nanny's Sandalwood & Vetyver soap (tin lathered)
Witch hazel
Trumper lime skin food

Really nice shave tonight. Tried palm stropping the blade, not sure if it made a difference but the soap is lovely. Gives a really nice luxurious lather.

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (10)
Soap: La Toja stick
Brush: Neep #1059 soapstone 26mm super silvertip badger
Balm: Trumper's Skin Food, West Indian Limes
Scent: Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
Result: faultless

It's easy to forget how good these sticks are.

Back
Top Bottom