SOTD w/c Sat 3 Feb- Fri 9 Mar...

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson, Polo 8
Razor: Globusmen + GEM Junior
Soap: Vulfix, English Rose
AS: Lavanda
Strops: Neil MIller
Result: Very, very clean and close :D

It's a nice straight this one, made somewhere between pre Berlin wall fall and after WW2.
001800x688-1.jpg

Saturday
Palmolive soap
Semogue 830
Gillette Fusion ProGlide
Alcolado Glacial
GFT Spanish Leather EDT

Started off with Monsavon. It's still not doing it for me so grabbed a tried and trusted standby. Why do I use anything else?

Was also going to have a final shave with a Progress but found myself reaching for the ProGlide.

I guess some things are just meant to be.

EJDE89
Red Personna
EJ Badger
RSC Cream
Ogallala Bay Rum and sandalwood, Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorns, Bay Rum Cologne

Great shave after a couple of days of not shaving!
However went a bit Bay Rum mad when, after using the Sandalwood, I grabbed L and P thinking it was the cologne and splashed on. Decided to add the cologne as well anyway,

Should have done a bit of sage and cedar to complete the set!

Saturday

Edwin Jagger DE89
Shark Super Chrome Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Cella
Clinique Post Shave Soother

Passed the R41 to my mate yesterday. He said he was going to shave with it that evening.

He did. I got a text with more swearing than actual words!!

Ian

joe mcclaine said:
Saturday
Started off with Monsavon. It's still not doing it for me
monsavon is a nice soap, works just fine for me. I traded 6 pieces with a frenchman. Wish i could find it locally.

Saturday
Hot shower
Vergulde Hand shave stick with Omega pro 49 as prep lather
Klar Kabinett with Omega 40652
Restored Kropp straight
Thayers Rose Petal
ARKO Sport a/s cream
Neil Miller beginners strop

Saturday:

Proraso pre/post
Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna cream & Vitos coconut soap - just messing around really, I get great lather with either of these, but I combined them anyway. Smelled great and as expected the lather was great too!
Aristocrat Jr.
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow (4)
Alum & Witch Hazel
Pinaud Clubman
Nivea ASB

I don't think I'll use blades beyond three shaves in the future. I still got BBS results, but got a bit of burn. Doesn't seem much point in pushing the blades too far since they're so cheap.

Merkur 39C Slant
Astra SP (2)
DR Harris Marlborough Cream
Kent BK4
Aqua Velva Ice Blue A/S (Thanks IanM)
T&H Trafalgar Cologne

Great shave all round. I'm at odds with the Marlborough scent - I held off for ages because someone described it as smelling like an ashtray (I'm a non smoker who hates smoking) and while I can understand that description, it isn't half as bad as all that.

Thanks to Ian M, I received a large bottle of Aqua Velva Ice Blue aftershave - I found it to be lovely and cooling just like Floid Blue, but to be honest I prefer how Floid Blue smells. Of course it might now be harder to replace the Floid Blue when I eventually get through it (I only tend to use it twice a week on non-work days following a comment from a younger employee that she could 'smell her Grandad'), but that could be a while yet.

Off to Belfast to visit my brother, his wife, his son and his newly born daughter and due to restrictions on the plane, my SOTD for the next 3 days will by default be;

Merkur 38B
Feather
GFT Violet
Vie Long Horse Hair Brush
GFT Lime Skin Food
Floris JF EDT

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Marshall Fields two band (rebranded Simpsons)
'Webly'/Schick Plus Platinum (NOS)
Castle Forbes lime SC (thanks Benefactor Bob)
Malizia vetyver AS
Malizia 'Vetyver' EdT

It's pretty rare for me to reach for a lime cream/soap these days, and having some CF in the arsenal is a real bonus when that monkey makes itself a bit insistant. Really a top notch product.

Fourth shave with this Weber-Stahly frankenrazor and blade combo and it's an enjoyable set up. Got the long handle figured out and now I don't even bother trying to choke up like I normally do on my other razors. Yeah, with this handle I keep my hand much closer to the end and the muscle memory is now kicking in.

Man, I gotta find more of these old blades. Extremely sharp and extremely forgiving, although I tend to push the envelope with these because of how smooth they are. Yeah, I gotta be careful not to go a little nuts and then have hubris show up in an unpleasant way.

BBS results,

Martin

Clinique for men soap,
New Forest super badger tortoiseshell brush,
Professor Blighty's Formula 31 Sandalwood shaving soap,
Muhle R89 razor with Personna red #2,
Professor Blighty's Formula 31 Sandalwood witch hazel ASL,
Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar EDT.
Great shave, strange how I get no nicks with the Muhle razor, but do with the EJ 89 which is basically the same razor ?

Muhle R41
Gillette Super Stainless (3)
New Forest super badger
MWF (face lathered)
Alum
Witch hazel
Trumper lime skin food

I'm definitely a fan of this razor now. It's just the right side of too aggressive.

However, it needs a sharp blade in it. This one felt rough and draggy so I've got a bit of burn and a nick on the chin.

I think these Greens are going to be used only twice from now on then binned, but at 10p a blade that isn't really a hardship.

Well Howdy!!

I have had some crap shaves of late. Weepers, spots, nicks WTF is going on I thort...
It started with a USA Aristocrat.
Went abroad on hols for a week. A little better.
Came home crap.
Nothing changed. Blades soaps and a routine that were well established.
Then today I used my Aristocrat Junior and a vintage super Nacet (sharp enuff to cut a croc in half)
With my 2213 and some palmolive sensitive.
Then i thought about about the golden rool.
NO PRESSURE.
Bollox I have been pressing too hard!!!
I have had the most beautiful three pass shave this evening/
So I have been doing this a year or so and still have much to learn.
Yrs
Slickbo

muhle r41
polsilver blade
shavemac #25 silvertip
truefitt & hill lavender shaving cream
nivea double action balm
myrsol agua balsamica

i love the r41, one pass and its almost done. its unreal :) cant believe how much it takes off.

Hot Shower
Merkur 11C
Derby Blade
Schwarzweisskeramik XL Scuttle
Shavemac #177 Silvertip
Martin de Candre :blush:
Old Spice lotion
Institute Karite Balm [/align]

Back
Top Bottom