SOTD w/c Sat 26 May to Fri 1 June

Merkur Progress #2
Supermax super plat #2
FS finest
Vitos coconut
Prof's green ginger
Prof's universal Balm

Haven't used the progress for a while, the only razor that has come close to a Weber shave! BBS and smooth but a bit more work than the Weber.

20120528.jpg

This holiday Monday morning in Barcelona, Semogue 830 and Ach.Brito Lavender cream; Edwin Jagger DE89 Head with a Russian Super Iridium blade from my friend Milo, in his fifth (and last) use; old Floid aftershave; I thought were a good complement to the today's star-shave.

And the star-shave. My old "U1 12/15" of Raphael, his first job, which only made 28 units.
After release these last days the "U2 12/15" and "Godzilla 15/15", I'm back to the first handle.

The razor was behaving like with U2 (since they are equal in dimension), performing better than it does with its Barley handle. More stable, more finisher, but without losing the smoothness of this head geometry associated with the great Russian blade. A clean, perfect and smooth cut. No surprises, no shocks, predictive, reliable.

I can certify that this handle has much improved the final result. The dimensions and proportions are good. It handles very well. The weight is correct and well distributed. You know that I shave in the shower in the tub with running water and wet hands. The grip is phenomenal. The feel is smooth, without burrs, without ribs, but very good grip. No slips with a wet hand or soap dripping fingers.

Prep Penhaligon's Blehneim Bouquet soap
Razor Vintage Japanese Fon Golden Star 7/8
Brush Le Tuft 59 in Buckeyed Burl
Vito's Coconut & Almond
Alum & Witch Hazel
L'Occittane Baux Balm
Alpha H Moisturiser
Penhaligon's Castile EDT.

Jamie.

A lovely two pass shave from the Fon Golden Star, the blade was buttery smooth after 30 laps on the linen and 50 on the leather.

002.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage butterscotch Ever Ready badger
1958 Executive/Feather
Klar Kabinett SS (really liking this stuff a lot)
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Yohji Yamamoto 'Yohji Homme'' EdT

For whatever the reason, my Executive called to me this morning. Been quite a while since last using this razor/blade combo, which was a favorite of mine. Yeah, now I remember why I like that set up so much.

The combination of that rounded head, plus being able to dial in the exact amount of bite needed for the Feather blade, makes this combo pretty much unbeatable for me.

BBS results,

Martin

John said:
1948-1949 SuperSpeed
feather blade

The Super Speed is my least favored Vintage DE Razor.
It's agressive little sod Frankly,
and doesent get used in anger very often, I could go off describing this Razor like I'm on LSD but.....no. I give this one every bit of caution as a straight razor!

What's doin John,

Man, I agree with you when it comes to getting less than wonderful shaves with that superspeed model. Matter of fact, i don't get on with any of those things, except for maybe the 1941 Ranger and the Red Tip. Neither one's in my rotation because they just aren't that much fun to use.

Seems like most superspeed types have more bite than what's expected and I have to be real careful with paying attention to detail. Heh, even after a successful shave, it's not as close as when using other razors. Yeah, sad to say I just don't understand superspeeds.

Martin

dodgy said:
After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage butterscotch Ever Ready badger
1958 Executive/Feather
Klar Kabinett SS (really liking this stuff a lot)
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Yohji Yamamoto 'Yohji Homme'' EdT

For whatever the reason, my Executive called to me this morning. Been quite a while since last using this razor/blade combo, which was a favorite of mine. Yeah, now I remember why I like that set up so much.

The combination of that rounded head, plus being able to dial in the exact amount of bite needed for the Feather blade, makes this combo pretty much unbeatable for me.

BBS results,

Martin

John said:
1948-1949 SuperSpeed
feather blade

The Super Speed is my least favored Vintage DE Razor.
It's agressive little sod Frankly,
and doesent get used in anger very often, I could go off describing this Razor like I'm on LSD but.....no. I give this one every bit of caution as a straight razor!

What's doin John,

Man, I agree with you when it comes to getting less than wonderful shaves with that superspeed model. Matter of fact, i don't get on with any of those things, except for maybe the 1941 Ranger and the Red Tip. Neither one's in my rotation because they just aren't that much fun to use.

Seems like most superspeed types have more bite than what's expected and I have to be real careful with paying attention to detail. Heh, even after a successful shave, it's not as close as when using other razors. Yeah, sad to say I just don't understand superspeeds.

Martin

I've never got on with the super speeds neither,
man I wonder what gillette was thing about in the design room.....

:idea: I know let's see if we can make a razor that's so nasty that it hacks the customers face off....:idea:
just like that bloke in the Bar fight last night... you know the one?
:idea:
Yeh,didn't he get his face hacked up with a glass bottle?
:idea: that's the guy, pow, that's the ticket to the Super Bowl

:idea:Say didn't he end up in a goddam trash dumpster:idea:
Yep and so will these
:idea: bud your a genius , I know I know,I can hardly believe it my self:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_twisted::icon_twisted::icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

John said:

Well John, Gillette was probably thinking about sellin the hell outta those things, which I'm sure they did. Different versions were made for God knows how many years.

Now to be fair, you and I may be in the minority here. I've ready plenty of posts over the years about how nice this or that superspeed is to shave with. I'm guessing most people don't have the same issues as you and me. Still, you don't read too many SOTDs using a superspeed.

Martin

dodgy said:
John said:

Well John, Gillette was probably thinking about sellin the hell outta those things, which I'm sure they did. Different versions were made for God knows how many years.

Now to be fair, you and I may be in the minority here. I've ready plenty of posts over the years about how nice this or that superspeed is to shave with. I'm guessing most people don't have the same issues as you and me. Still, you don't read too many SOTDs using a superspeed.

Martin

You know Martin,your probably right on the money, we probably are in the minority, but in the 2 years that I've been shaving with vintage razors,no one can recomend a super speed to start shaving with.
In all of my 23years of shaving, I can honestly say that something about the super speed makes me nervous when using it,
something distrusting, my brain is going,any second a big chunk of my face is going to get shaved off...... And that's never in my mind with a straight razor,that should tell people something about a super speed.

Razor: Merkur Progress (4,5)
Blade: Iridium (10)
Brush: Semogue 1305
Cream: Sir Irisch Moss
A/S I: Thayers Lemon
A/S II: L'Oreal Hydra Energetic

280520121380.jpg

Have a nice Monday everyone!

Monday:

T+H 1805 cream
Rooney style 2
Merkur 37C Slant
Gillette 7 OC yellow
Crabtree and Evelyn West Indian Limes cologne

4 whole days of stubble thanks to a very busy holiday looking after my little girl. Removed in 2 swift passes with the slant, back to looking presentable for work.

Good result, cheers.

MONDAY EVENING

IMAG0044.jpg

Weber DLC
Gillette Super Stainless (2)
Prep pre cream
Neep Sandstone brush
Nannys Cedar wood and Vetyver hard soap
Witch hazel
Castle Forbes AS balm

That's the third absolutely excellent shave I've had with the Weber. It just effortlessly hand out superb shaves time after time.

It saddens me to say it (having spent a lot with him) but Greg at Ikon could learn a lot by looking at Weber. This razor knocks his into a cocked hat and is about a quarter of the price.

Oh, and if you are thinking about getting one I'd say honestly just do it! This is one purchase you wouldn't regret especially:

• If you live in America, so have cheap shipping
  • Would be supporting a fellow American, and a small US business
  • Have a large primate clamouring for attention

:angel::angel::angel: *whistles innocently*

RE: SOTD w/c Sat 26 May to Fri 1 June (Caution: Weber content)

Ten minutes ago:

Grieg: Holberg Suite (I don't bother trying other music for shaving to at the moment, cos this is so ingrained in my routine it immediately sets the mood)

Hot shower
Weber DLC
Polsilver (1)
Nanny's Lime soft soap with a dod of Kappus shaving cream
New Forest brush

Old spice sensitive original, RSC balm.

Nice (jazz voice)

first outing with the DLC, didn't have the inclination to make much of an effort with this shave, so I just performed a quick 2 pass shave. Man, this razor sings its own sweet song while working :icon_razz:
I got a smashing almost BBS shave without trying - I am so looking forward to having the time to enjoy a more leisurely shave with the DLC.
I'll not post any more pics just now as I know there are some poor souls manfully struggling to resist the sweet song of the DLC - but you really should just give in and pull the trigger. Resistance is futile. :icon_razz::icon_razz:

47bcebdd-50b2-2cc4.jpg
Still Monday for me. Been running late for most of the day. Had to watch the start of the History Channel Hatfield and McCoy broadcast, so I didn't start my save till 11PM. [attachment=4897].
Razor: new to me this week: Midget no other markings blade is a little less than 4/8. Very light. Honed ok. Not yet a 1 pass shave! Not sure it would ever be...
Soap: Erasmic stick
Brush: Muhle Badger
Alum
AS: Masters Bay Rum
Balm: Nivea sensitive
Preshave: Noxzema plus
Interesting shave. Razor well balanced but did take a bit getting use to. Could have been shorter for it's configuration..

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338265172.270682.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338265172.270682.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom