SOTD w/c Sat 18th - Fri 24th Feb. '12 incl.

Wednesday:

Proraso pre/post
Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna cream
Muhle R41
Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless
Alum & Witch Hazel
Pinaud Clubman

3 passes and touch up, BBS results, nice!

Wednesday

Edwin Jagger DE89
Gillette Platinum (Swede) Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Proraso Cream
Clinique Post Shave Soother

and that's the end of that tube of Proraso.

Ian

tues 21 - evening shave

prep - pears soap x2
cream - GFT from GFT
Razor - The royal crown razor (cut throat 6/8)
Brush - Vulfix 2190
post - T+H ultimate comfort balm
Cologne - T+H Trafalgar

first run out for my new vulfix brush. it was an ok shave
steve

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

old Marshall Fields badger
Stahly-ABC/Gillette Platinum Plus (NOS)
Valobra SS stick
Kramperts Finest Bay Rum AS
Laroche 'Drakkar Noir' EdT

Great razor/blade combo, coupled with the excellent Valobra stick made for a very wonderful shaving experience this morning. This old blade gets lots of hype, and I can see how people would really enjoy these things.

BBS results,

Martin

Cold water prep,
Nanny's Bergamot and Coriander Hard Soap,
Omega #49,
Gillette Ball Handle 'Old Type',
Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow,
Alum & C&E Nomad Balm.

MAGIC shave today! First trial of the 'old type' and I think it may be one of these enchanted beasties I've heard rumour of. It came in a case with a lump of what can only be described as sandstone...no idea why but if it yields these results maybe they're onto something!

First pass was damn near BBS, second and I was done, no nicks, no irritation just the closest shave yet. Basically what I hoped for from the r41, but never quite got and this thing is 80+ years old.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Neep, 28 mm x-tra stuffed silvertip
Razor: C V Heljestrand BK 42
Soap: Nannys French Lavender
AS: Old Spice, Fresh Lime
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uber clean :D

This setup delivered big time :D :D
003800x583.jpg

Kropp 5/8 and Feather AS-D1 with Medical Personna blade
New Forest Tubby 1
Cella
Alum
Rakvatten

Nice shave, beginning to get the hang of the straight. Also got quite a bit closer to solving the problem of the obscuring hands. Seems I have been shaving close to the ear with only the tip of the blade, thus holding the rest of the blade very far from the face. Once I got the blade closer to the face, the hand is no longer obscuring the view.

Small nick below the left nostril today, but really nothing much.

/Max

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
Brush: Omega Pure Bristle
Soap/Cream: Palmolive Classic Cream (tube)
ASB: Prof Blighty's After Shave Balsam
Result: Magnifico!

Undoubtedly, the best shave I've had with a DE. 3-Passes with a light touch-up around neck-line and I think I might just have found my Blade/Razor combo in the process. I gave the Palmolive a rare outing today, but my god did it come out well and produce an amazing lather. I had tried the TOBS Sandalwood sample I bought, but it was doing nothing for me at all when trying to work up a decent lather. Very disappointed with the TOBS, if I'm honest.

Now, I have to say I've tried pretty much every over-the-counter ASB available. Nivea, Gillette, Wilkinson Sword, Bulldog, RSC, etc. However, I've never come across anything like the ASB I received and used today from Prof Blighty. The best way to describe it is... Well... Think Jessica Rabbit's Silk Glove gently caressing your face and then her blowing softly on your freshly-shaven skin. Pretty much the first time I can ever say I've just had a shave, without actually feeling the after-effects. I cannot recommend this stuff highly enough. My next order will be along shortly, Martin!

Thanks for the teabag also. A touch of class from someone who produces something of brilliance!

EJ 89
7 o'clock yellow
Kent BK2
Hot Towels
Proraso Pre Shave
Speick Shaving Cream
Alum Block
L'Oreal Men Expert 24 Hour Hydrating Shave Balm

And I've had my first DFS!! Up until now I've been putting up with PRS (pretty reasonable shave) and occasionally BAS (barely acceptable shave) so I'm a happier chap!

It all takes me half an hour though...

Back
Top Bottom