SOTD w/c Sat 18th - Fri 24th Feb. '12 incl.

NotTheStig said:
Schick L type injector on 3 with Gillette Platinum Plus (second shave)
Trumpers almond cream

Super close shave but lots of cuts, just to add to the massive cut yesterday. All entirely my fault as rushed again!!! I seem to be better at fast shaving with a DE than an injector

Hi buddy,

Yeah, first time I tried those blades surprised me with how damn sharp they were compared to almost all the other blades I'd used. Heh, only took one shave for the proper technique tweaking and smooth sailing after that. Believe it or not, the Personna74 blade is even less forgiving.

Martin

Oh yeah, your adjustable is an M type, the L version being the fixed head one with the black handle. They're both gonna have the M letter and a number stamped under the head......it's confusing.

Sunday Morning

Pre shave: Quick splash of hot water
Soap: Palmolive shave cream
Razor: Boots own DE razor
Blade: Boots own blade
After shave: Gillette series Balm

Result: God awful shave with a bit of irritation. Not in the slightest bit smooth. That will teach me to skimp on the pre shave and use something other than the EJ ED89L!

Sunday, Feb. 19, 2012

Vitos Predopobarba
Omega 11126
Woods of Windsor soap
Edwin Jagger DE89 Barley
Rapira super stainless
Thayers Witch Hazel lemon
Woods of Windsor ASB
Woods of Windsor EdT

P1050731.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

old Marshall Fields badger
Aristocrat#15/Schick Plus Platinum (NOS)
IK SS used as a stick
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
L'Artisan 'L'Eau du Navigateur' EdP (smell like a pirate day)

I wanted a fourth and final shave before sending this beautiful razor back to pissingdrunk. It had been a monkey to reckon with for quite a while and now thankfully it's been silenced. Very nice of him to send me this pristine example of fine UK workmanship.

Popped another favorite blade of mine into the Aristo and started the dance on my face. First downward stroke told me once again that this razor is one I need to focus with and pay attetion to what's going on. I can feel the blade on my face more than I figured I would, but it's not uncomfortable. The teeth are more noticeable than I woulda thought as well, seeing as how they're nice and curved.

Finished my 4+ passes with no weepers or irritation of any kind, with an extra few minutes needed as a tweak. Left me with an extremely smooth face, as many OC types will do. No pressure needed with this razor, which is always a welcome bonus.

So that's that. The #15 is one that's not something I'd have in the rotation. Beautiful to look at and hold, but it's just not quite right for me performance wise. Before using it I woulda bet money it was gonna be a great one for me, but what the hell do I know.

Yeah, I can see myself using this razor only 5-6 times a year. Heh, if I did own one I could still hold it occasionally...

BBS results,

Martin

dodgy said:
NotTheStig said:
Schick L type injector on 3 with Gillette Platinum Plus (second shave)
Trumpers almond cream

Super close shave but lots of cuts, just to add to the massive cut yesterday. All entirely my fault as rushed again!!! I seem to be better at fast shaving with a DE than an injector

Hi buddy,

Yeah, first time I tried those blades surprised me with how damn sharp they were compared to almost all the other blades I'd used. Heh, only took one shave for the proper technique tweaking and smooth sailing after that. Believe it or not, the Personna74 blade is even less forgiving.

Martin

Oh yeah, your adjustable is an M type, the L version being the fixed head one with the black handle. They're both gonna have the M letter and a number stamped under the head......it's confusing.
Thanks Dodgy. I'll try to remember. Just when I think I have the hang of these Platinum Pluses... still, on 2 much more forgiving. Can't imagine ever dialling beyond 3 with these blades and this razor goes up to 7...

This is my first ever SOTD entry, and also my first attempt with a straight razor.

Kropp 5/8
Feather AS-D1 with crystal blade
New forest tubby1
Cella
alum
Thayers medicated superhazel

The straight shaving went extremely well. After going wtg on the right side close to the ear,it just felt so right to continue. Shaved both sides neck and chin wtg using both hands. Stopped at the uppr lip, by then my hands were shaking. Result as good as a wtg pass with a DE. Finished off with the Feather.

I'll definately get the hang of straight shaving.

/Max

Sunday Eve

Gillette Slim with 7 o'clock black
Edwin Jagger pure badger
vintage Crabtree & Evelyn pour homme soap
alum
Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna ASB

Better shave than last time, turned the Slim down a notch and no occurrence of 'burn'. Pleased with the results.

Merkur 39C
Lord SC (3)
T&H 1805 Cream
Semogue 610
Floid Blue
Davidoff Cool Water EDT

Excellent shave. It's interesting to me, because a lot of these Lord blades are actually bloody good, but for some reason they don't get mentioned as much on here. I am not sure whether I have fallen into a trap of believing the hype, because despite me having liked these Lords, I have almost dismissed in my mind the likelihood of replacing them with more when they are gone, yet I've also decided in my own mind that I will stick with Feathers, Polsilvers, Astras and 7 O'Clocks - all names that get more mention on here than the Lord variants.

As for the cream, the 1805 is a cracking cream. It's one that I was initially non plussed with when I first got it, probably because it doesn't have a distinctive scent, but the more I use it, the more I appreciate it's simplicity. A classic, fresh fragrance. I'm now sorely tempted to try other products in the 1805 line (A/S, EDT, Bath Soaps)

Aristo 16
Neep Soapstone badger
MWF (face lathered)
Witch Hazel
Castle Forbes AS balm

Lovely shave tonight confirming in my mind that the Boots Freshwood cream doesn't work for me at all so it will be getting binned.

So far the 16 is really living up to the hype.

In fact, I've decided to spend the next few weeks testing all my Aristo's to see which one I prefer. I will use the same blade in all of them and use each for a week.

I've got a 15, 16, 21, 66, 70 and Jr so by a happy coincidence when I finish my experiment the Easter break will be starting.

Tall_Paul said:
Aristo 16
So far the 16 is really living up to the hype.

In fact, I've decided to spend the next few weeks testing all my Aristo's to see which one I prefer. I will use the same blade in all of them and use each for a week.

What's up Paul,

Yeah, that #16 really is a nice razor. I noticed you acquired one recently and I'm glad it's a good fit so far. Strangely enough, it took me 5-6 times before completely figuring the thing out and now it's a very fun part of my rotation. Hah, it's the only razor I ever paid full retail price for.....a perfect storm kinda thing.

Congrats on the excellent addition to your shaving arsenal,

Martin

Prep: Hot Shower
Prep: Nivea Sensitive Face Wash
Soap:TOBS Sandalwood
Brush: Omega Pure Bristle
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Feather (2)
Post shave: Nivea Cool Kick ASB
Aftershave: Calvin Klein Truth EDT

Result: Almost BBS. Still getting my technique right on this, my first Feather Blade. Could do with a few touch-up's here and there, but nothing to worry about.

SOTD 20-02-2012

Hot Shower
Proraso Pre Shaving Cream
Merkur Progress Set on 2.5
Personna Red
Schwarzweisskeramik XL
Semogue 2000
P160 Shaving Soap
Proraso Lotion

Back
Top Bottom