SOTD w/c Sat 10th-Fri 16th incl.

henckels 6/8, Calani Gentleman, B.Kamins bio maple ASB,

PC100518.jpg

GDCarrington said:
[Well unwrapped a fresh 63-year-old Super Thin blade and loaded into stubble plougher heavy Merkur. Got through most of it but struggled on second pass to get any closer. That was probably about it.
Disappointed with the vintage Super Thins. not good enough for one full shave for me.

That is why, whenever I receive any old Vintage Super Thins, they are used as props and not as usable razor blades.

[/quote]

What's up GD,

So have you tried other carbon blades like old Gillette Blue Blades, or just this one type? I've used a pre 1960 Gillette and also a currently made Treet 'Black Beauty', and neither of em agreed with me.

I'm guessing you must use some vintage stainless steel DE blades ( to go along with the Personna74 injector type). Now some of those old blades can be pretty darn good.

Martin

Oh yeah, that part about the razor skipping on your face ain't so hot. I hate when that happens, and it's also not that wonderful when the blade just flat out stops dead unexpectedly.

This evening:

Imperial Leather soap
Feather Artist Club RG (wood), ProGuard blade (3)
Taylor's Lavender cream
Neep English Yew Badger
Bulldog ASB
Penhaligon's Endymion cologne

Took advantage of having some time to bowl lather for the first time in many a month, in a metal ridged soap dish recently acquired for the purpose. Felt luxurious. Another close, comfortable shave, with quite a bit of blood on the first swipe of the tissue but no more (and I've no idea where it came from!).

Saturday Evening:
  • Eclipse Red Ring razor, seen much better days for looks, & damaged 'tooth' etc.
    Lord Rainbow super stainless blade
    Le Tuft Blinking Tiger bespoke brush with horsehair knot
    Nanny's LE Yushu creoap
    Humphreys Original witch hazel
    Booster's Mosswood ASL
    Phytos Expert for Men ASB

For all that's lacking from this razor being 'mint' condition, it still shaves effin' fine!

Father Ted, is that a little le creuset pot? I saw some of them recently and thought it would be good to put a cake of MWF in. Might pop to the shops on Sunday to get one.

Friday:

Hot Shower
Merkur 38B
Astra SS Blue (4)
GFT Coconut Oil Shaving Cream
Kent BK4
GFT Lime Skin Food
TOBS Jermyn Street Cologne

Saturday

Hot Shower
Merkur 38B
Astra SS Blue (5)
T&H Trafalgar Shaving Cream
Kent BK4
GFT Lime Skin Food
T&H Trafalgar Cologne

Probably should have changed the Astra Blue after 4 shaves - I was in a rush today so didn't change it, but probably should have. It was by no means a bad shave, in fact it was more than adequate, but I'll look forward to taking my time with a relaxing shave tomorrow with a fresh blade (probably try the 7 O'Clock Blacks)

SOTD 11-12-2011

Prep : Hot Shower followed by EJ Pre shaving cream
Razor : Merkur 11C
Blade : Astra ( 2nd use )
Brush :Simpsons CH 1 in Super Badger
Soap : P 160
AS : Alum Razo +Institute Karite Balm
[/align]

Sunday, December 11. Good Morning!

Morning Coffee: Hills Brothers Original Blend
Prep: Wash face with Musgo Real Glyce Lime
Razor: EJ DE87
Blade: Gillette
Soap: Proraso
Brush: D.R. Harris H1
Scuttle: Dirty Bird 1.5
Post: Cold water rinse followed by some Proraso After Shave & After Shave Balm
[attachment=3962]

Attachments

• Photo0791.jpg
    Photo0791.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 14
Sunday

white proraso pre post
Neo custom 2 band
Nannys Ice and Slice with goat
Slim (4) and Red IP (2)
Thayers superhazel
Proraso ASB

result: 3passes, smooth. Had a bit of trouble with the lather from the soap, which is strange as nannys soap is usually excellent latherer. must be me!!

dodgy said:
GDCarrington said:
[Well unwrapped a fresh 63-year-old Super Thin blade and loaded into stubble plougher heavy Merkur. Got through most of it but struggled on second pass to get any closer. That was probably about it.
Disappointed with the vintage Super Thins. not good enough for one full shave for me.

That is why, whenever I receive any old Vintage Super Thins, they are used as props and not as usable razor blades.

What's up GD,

So have you tried other carbon blades like old Gillette Blue Blades, or just this one type? I've used a pre 1960 Gillette and also a currently made Treet 'Black Beauty', and neither of em agreed with me.

I'm guessing you must use some vintage stainless steel DE blades ( to go along with the Personna74 injector type). Now some of those old blades can be pretty darn good.

Martin

Oh yeah, that part about the razor skipping on your face ain't so hot. I hate when that happens, and it's also not that wonderful when the blade just flat out stops dead unexpectedly.

[/quote]
I was disappointed, especially as the (perhaps gimmicky) gold colour on the blades made me think these were at the premium end.
I know you weren't asking me Dodgy, but I've used some 1948 Bleue blades and they were ok. Berkeley blades are good. These carbon steel blades, for me, are far less likely to cause irritation or cuts but they will tug and last at most two shaves. Took me a while to get used to such a different type of blade and you have to dry them thoroughly - preferably keep them away from the moisture of the bathroom. I'm not averse to them - Ill give any blade without rust a try - but best for a change rather than a quicker, closer shave.

Back
Top Bottom